October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
29 Aug 2017 16:32 #253349 by charlest

Shellhead wrote:

charlest wrote: I enjoyed the season despite its faults. The one thing, however, that really bothered me is the tease of character death. The one thing that's held true in this show is that no one is safe and anyone can die. This season, it seems every episode they want you to think someone has died but they miraculously make it out. It's a de-evolution in writing and is pretty unsatisfying.

It was easier for Martin to be heartless about killing characters, because they were just book characters. The show runners relate to these characters in terms of real actors playing their biggest roles of their careers.

Sure, then don't trick me into thinking they've died. It's just toying with my emotions. For instance, when Tormund pulled a Glen and was being dragged down by White Walkers, I was bummed. But I was MORE pissed when they pulled the fake out and he was rescued.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2017 16:33 #253350 by Black Barney
Watching the GoT season 7 finale, I've come to realize I watch the show for the character moments (aka Falcon Crest) and not the action.

I'll use spoiler tags so i can safely talk about the show.

Warning: Spoiler!

2019 until the next one?!

More
29 Aug 2017 17:26 #253355 by Vlad
My general impression is that this season was particularly poorly written. It was still entertaining, and at least they aren't heading into complete nonsense ala BSG, but it is so damn predictable and too upbeat for my GoT taste. Oh, and I hate

More
29 Aug 2017 18:38 - 29 Aug 2017 18:39 #253359 by bfkiller

charlest wrote: ...pulled a Glen...

*thumbs up*

This season did pull a lot of Glens.

*awaits a joke from Black Barney.
Last edit: 29 Aug 2017 18:39 by bfkiller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
30 Aug 2017 08:47 #253389 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?

Shellhead wrote: I noticed the geographic similarity 20 years ago when I first started reading the first book. It's always a nice touch when the author includes maps in the book. But I disagree with the specifics. I think that Dorne is Wales and Stark territory is Scotland. I agree that the Wall is originally inspired by Hadrian's Wall, but even allowing for stretching and distorting, I think that the raiders and land north of the Wall in the series are meant to correspond in a general way with viking invaders and their homelands. Ireland is just missing and Pyke is not meant to represent Ireland.

The prevalence of red hair north of the wall is a clear indicator of Scottish flavour. Sean Bean as Ned Stark tells you everything you need to know about "where" Winterfell is. It's my land, and I know it well. Arryn is quite a Welsh sounding name. Dorne is really something like southern Spain by way of Cornwall. Clearly Westeros has issues with extreme weather variation, or Martin just wasn't thinking too geologically when he put it all together in his head. I had the Iron Islands in my head as being a proxy for Danes of some type.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
01 Sep 2017 04:29 #253561 by Sevej
Last season was the best season for me because of the way it was paced. This season, dare I say that I feel it's too fast paced? Things just happen, people meet... and compared to the previous seasons, I feel a certain lack of gravitas. A lot of people love the show for being (taking Barnes' words) so editorial, but I do think it's missing something from not having a book with excessive pages to refer to. Scenes are happening so fast (an expedition that finishes in 1 episode?). A lot of war and less talking, enjoyable, but I do miss how in the earlier seasons war was happening through travelling news and people reaction.

I agree that it's very predictable... had very, very few surprises, and the things that did really didn't surprise me that much. I think a lot of character relationship was sacrificed for more action scenes.

But the strongest impression I get is that it's like a season of reunion. Everyone meets everyone, each episode is as exciting as the others (no down time), and much less fragmented scenes (understandable since characters are starting to gather in big groups).

For me the finale was not much of a cliffhanger, I'm fine waiting 2 or 3 years for the next season.

But I really enjoy this season, in the way that I enjoy fan service. A lot of things I want to see happen, happen.

And they did the dragons fucking awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
01 Sep 2017 10:56 #253568 by bfkiller

Sevej wrote: And they did the dragons fucking awesome.

The dragons were absolutely the stars this season. Next would be Jon. The rest? *shrug*

More
01 Sep 2017 11:24 - 01 Sep 2017 11:25 #253569 by Black Barney
Tyrion and Arya both were really uninteresting this season and they were my favourites since season 1. Jon has become amazing, which is great. Lots of depth. Dany is pretty dull. I really like Jaime and I'm sure I'll love him next season.

Best subcharacter has to be The Hound. i can't get enough of that guy. I always enjoy Sam and Jorah as well. Bronn is ok.Varys needs to be playing off Tyrion to be really interesting, but they've isolated him a bit too much this season.

I also don't find the imposing presence of The Mountain ever gets old. I'm always VERY aware he's in a scene and feel nervous he's there. That scene with Jaime had me trembling. I thought they did that really well, especially because of an earlier scene with Tyrion that set it up.

Sansa is really bad, but i never liked her, The Greyjoys are pretty dull now.

Main character I miss the most:

Subcharacter I miss the most:
Last edit: 01 Sep 2017 11:25 by Black Barney.

More
01 Sep 2017 11:25 #253570 by SebastianBludd
This season definitely felt disjointed and perfunctory. Also, it became a running joke in our house how often there were scenes of people dragging, getting into and getting out of damn boats on the beach.

But I don't agree with all of the criticisms of this season:

More
01 Sep 2017 12:23 #253571 by Jackwraith
I'm still writing reviews of every episode, if people are interested: dichotomouspurity.blogspot.com/

Overall, I thought they took too many shortcuts this season, but condensing the season to seven episodes probably had something to do with that. While it allows for more elbow room with longer individual episodes (i..e how much can we cram in and then conclude in each show), it leads to a hurried nature to the overall plot which I found somewhat disconcerting. But I think there's a certain amount of franchise fatigue setting in, too. Benioff and Weiss wanted to be done in seven and HBO talked them into eight, which now won't be done until 2019.

I also watched the pilot for The Deuce, which I haven't written anything for yet. I liked it, because it fairly screams "David Simon production." If any of you have seen The Wire, you'll have a grasp of the atmosphere almost instantly and not just because Lawrence Gilliard (D'Angelo Barksdale) and Method Man (Cheese) both appear in this show, as well. It was just too much boilerplate "origin story" for me and I've never been a huge James Franco fan, so with him in the lead and playing a dual role, I'm not sure how interested I'm going to be if I feel like I have to tune out half of each episode just so I can get to the parts with the pimp crew and Maggie Gyllenhall. I'm willing to watch more, but I wasn't sold on the pilot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

More
01 Sep 2017 13:01 #253573 by Colorcrayons
Norsemen on Netflix

Actually quite good, and even better if you understand a bit of Norse history (the ridiculousness of the norse version of Holmgang for example) and how they parody it and entwine it into contemporary issues such as relationships and such.

Best analogy I can give is the dry wit of month python, without the overt silliness.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the_jake_1973

More
01 Sep 2017 13:51 #253578 by hotseatgames

Jackwraith wrote: I also watched the pilot for The Deuce, which I haven't written anything for yet. I liked it, because it fairly screams "David Simon production." If any of you have seen The Wire, you'll have a grasp of the atmosphere almost instantly and not just because Lawrence Gilliard (D'Angelo Barksdale) and Method Man (Cheese) both appear in this show, as well. It was just too much boilerplate "origin story" for me and I've never been a huge James Franco fan, so with him in the lead and playing a dual role, I'm not sure how interested I'm going to be if I feel like I have to tune out half of each episode just so I can get to the parts with the pimp crew and Maggie Gyllenhall. I'm willing to watch more, but I wasn't sold on the pilot.

I also watched this. I'll watch another episode... I'm not totally sold on it yet. On Netflix, season 3 of Narcos is now out. I'm looking forward to checking it out tonight.

More
01 Sep 2017 14:26 #253581 by the_jake_1973

Colorcrayons wrote: Norsemen on Netflix

Actually quite good, and even better if you understand a bit of Norse history (the ridiculousness of the norse version of Holmgang for example) and how they parody it and entwine it into contemporary issues such as relationships and such.

Best analogy I can give is the dry wit of month python, without the overt silliness.

It does have a Python flavor. When the slave asks for his cloak back made me laugh quite a bit.

More
02 Sep 2017 22:18 #253622 by Sevej

Black Barney wrote: Tyrion and Arya both were really uninteresting this season and they were my favourites since season 1.

They really botched their plot. Sure the ending is satisfying, but it could have been so MUCH more. A lot of tension ramping up only to be ended with a single word. Tyrion does *nothing* clever this season. He just sort of go with the flow.

Best subcharacter has to be The Hound.

I think he has the best character development throughout the series.

I also don't find the imposing presence of The Mountain ever gets old.

The thing really scary about him is that he's Cersei. Whatever Cersei wants he does. And we all know what kind of bitch Cersei is. I wasn't scared of the mountain, but I do get a shiver when Cersei said she doesn't care about the people or the kingdom, just her family.

More
03 Sep 2017 09:09 #253635 by Black Barney
Best character development is a good topic. You don't think it's Jaime? Anyone that says it's Theon should get flogged.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.714 seconds