October 09, 2023
2487 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2687 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
01 Nov 2017 22:39 #256832 by SebastianBludd

Jackwraith wrote: Replies to MB's comments:

Warning: Spoiler!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2017 22:49 #256834 by Black Barney

Mr. White wrote: I'm on shaky ground? for what?
what pride thing?

Sorry Jeffie for not being clear. I meant you are standing on thin ice when trying to talk about the Proud Boys who are all about pride. It’s very tough subject matter to try and talk about when getting into basically shades of white.

Xoxo

More
01 Nov 2017 23:28 #256835 by Jackwraith
I liked Paul Reiser's character for the same reasons.

More
02 Nov 2017 00:49 #256837 by GorillaGrody

Mr. White wrote:

GorillaGrody wrote: No, I didn't read you as an apologist. We're okay, I think. Unless, of course, you don't think there's a relative value to different cultures, or a value to knowing how more than one of them operates at a level for which "best" isn't really meaningful.

To be honest...I'm not really sure how to respond to this. There's a lot of fight in your posts. I just clarified some statements, not sure why there's an attempt to paint me as an online enemy to tilt at.

I'm not trying to troll you or back you into a corner you can't get out of.

If you believe that there is any purpose to holding an opinion such as "western culture is the best" (like, better at what? Holding a Hindi funeral? Making long bottomed boats? What? Context is everything...) which literally pays no one's bills, helps no one, and contributes nothing to actual cultural understanding, you have to think critically about why you hold a belief like that and who gave you that belief, because it's not one that derives naturally from an immersion in culture. It is a robotic bit of thoroughly modern propaganda whose purpose is to destroy culture, and probably human bodies along with it.

Okay. That said, you haven't given any explicit acknowledgement that you do hold that opinion, and I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt, because we've met each other on a website we both like. Can I give you the benefit of the doubt? Please say yes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ufe20

More
02 Nov 2017 01:25 - 02 Nov 2017 01:29 #256838 by Mr. White

GorillaGrody wrote:

Mr. White wrote:

GorillaGrody wrote: No, I didn't read you as an apologist. We're okay, I think. Unless, of course, you don't think there's a relative value to different cultures, or a value to knowing how more than one of them operates at a level for which "best" isn't really meaningful.

To be honest...I'm not really sure how to respond to this. There's a lot of fight in your posts. I just clarified some statements, not sure why there's an attempt to paint me as an online enemy to tilt at.

I'm not trying to troll you or back you into a corner you can't get out of.

If you believe that there is any purpose to holding an opinion such as "western culture is the best" (like, better at what? Holding a Hindi funeral? Making long bottomed boats? What? Context is everything...) which literally pays no one's bills, helps no one, and contributes nothing to actual cultural understanding, you have to think critically about why you hold a belief like that and who gave you that belief, because it's not one that derives naturally from an immersion in culture. It is a robotic bit of thoroughly modern propaganda whose purpose is to destroy culture, and probably human bodies along with it.

Okay. That said, you haven't given any explicit acknowledgement that you do hold that opinion, and I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt, because we've met each other on a website we both like. Can I give you the benefit of the doubt? Please say yes.

Good grief...

First, I mistakenly got involved simply by pointing out the fact that the Proud Boys do have views based on cultural bias not racial, so there is some difference between them and Nazis. Even to that point, I don't think they mean to eradicate other cultures just promote their own, but I'm not certain. So, even if both are on the fringes of the right, there are nuanced differences. Whether knowing that means anything do you I can't say. They weren't in Charlottesville either, but why let facts get in the way of a good takedown?

It should also be noted I agreed multiple times with your points when valid.

Second, I've never said that I believe the west is the best, but a good paragraph and a half across two posts are spent admonishing me as if I did...in a fun condescending tone to boot! I know the witch hunt is on in 2017, but you've targeted probably the most moderate poster here. The torch was lit on your Stranger Thing post, so I should have been more leary than to respond. Oh well.

For what it's worth, I think there are some fantastic things about the west...some terrible things too. As with any culture. I like that we're trying to trend more and more towards equality. I don't think that it is _the best_, but I do like the opportunities my son and daughter have living in a western society.

I'm sure there's some kindle in there for your fire, but I'm starting to care less...
Last edit: 02 Nov 2017 01:29 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: edulis

More
02 Nov 2017 02:45 - 02 Nov 2017 02:56 #256840 by Michael Barnes
You might ought to do a little research on Proud Boys before you characterize them as an organization of benevolent cheerleaders engaging in pro-West boosterism. I would suggest starting with the articles at the Southern Poverty Law Center. They are neo-facists, and their brand of cultural superiority is literally not one iota different than that expressed by explicitly racist groups. It's just couched in a hipster package with the hard racism and nationalism made less overt and easier to conceal or disavow when convenient.

Ask yourself one question- what would the political motives be for a group of white men promoting "The West"? It's pretty fucking clear.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2017 02:56 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, GorillaGrody

More
02 Nov 2017 07:23 - 02 Nov 2017 07:26 #256842 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?

Frohike wrote: Then there's the deeper deconstructive readings like Gorilla's where the imagery underlying the horrors is pretty comically transparent.

I was going with the mind flayer being a metaphor* for the US-Canada Free Trade Agreement. You know, this thing the government is doing somehow ending up destroying middle American agriculture/pumpkin patches. Reagan re-election was prominent in the backgrounds.

*allegory.

Conspiracy dude was also a sleezy husband in Fleabag (great, short series on Amazon). On the character:
Last edit: 02 Nov 2017 07:26 by JEM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
02 Nov 2017 08:12 #256843 by ChristopherMD
I don't read the TV SHOWS thread for the political commentary. And I don't read the POLITICS thread at all. Can we please keep the two separate?
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Not Sure, hotseatgames, Disgustipater, Gregarius

More
02 Nov 2017 11:16 - 02 Nov 2017 11:16 #256853 by metalface13
WTF is going on in here?Jeff has been posting on here for years and you guys think he's a closet white supremacist? Seriously? I have never seen him promote or espouse any kind of ideas involving hate or intolerance. Jeff is a personal friend I've made through this site. We met through F:AT after I moved to Austin and gamed with for a number of years until I moved to PA. Last summer I stayed at his home for a weekend of gaming. I'd like to say I know him fairly well. In all of our conversations both online and off, I've never heard anything but love, respect and compassion for all human beings from Jeff.

His moniker is Mr. White, because that's actually his surname, not because he's an alt-right white supremacist. I would never associate myself with anyone who was.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2017 11:16 by metalface13.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
02 Nov 2017 11:18 #256854 by Michael Barnes
No, I know Jeff is a good guy but I think he might have missed something. I don't think anyone here thinks that he's a Nazi or anything like that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, GorillaGrody

More
02 Nov 2017 11:22 #256855 by Black Barney
metalface, we know Jeffie is good people, we love the guy, John Carter and everything. He's just talking about subject matter which is triggering people, that's all. I don't think any less of him nor does anyone else.

..you on the other hand..
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

More
02 Nov 2017 11:36 #256857 by ChristopherMD
I've been enjoying Star Wars Rebels final season so far. They seem to be focusing on wrapping up as many plotlines as best they can considering its a prequel. I'm mostly curious how they'll handle Ezra and Kanan at the end. I can see maybe they'll kill off Kanan and hoping for another Vader appearance to do it, but I just don't see Disney killing Ezra and I also don't see his character going into hiding. He has neither the patience or will to abandon the rebellion, imo. We know from Rogue One that General Syndulla and the Ghost stick around.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
02 Nov 2017 11:39 #256858 by Not Sure

JEM wrote: I was going with the mind flayer being a metaphor* for the US-Canada Free Trade Agreement. You know, this thing the government is doing somehow ending up destroying middle American agriculture/pumpkin patches. Reagan re-election was prominent in the backgrounds.

I laughed at the Mondale sign in Dustin's yard. With his hapless mother that seemed completely appropriate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
02 Nov 2017 11:49 #256860 by Colorcrayons

Black Barney wrote: metalface, we know Jeffie is good people, we love the guy, John Carter and everything. He's just talking about subject matter which is triggering people, that's all. I don't think any less of him nor does anyone else.

..you on the other hand..

You leave john carter out of this, you dirty canuckistani philistine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
02 Nov 2017 12:14 #256866 by Jackwraith
That's Barsoomistanti Philistine, to you.

Barsoom for the Barsoomians! Down with the Jasoomian colonial oppressors!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.573 seconds