Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What TV SHOWS are you watching?

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 15 Jan 2018 15:31 #261000

English has evolved as a a language. That's why it is so challenging for a modern English speaker to read Shakespeare.
  • Shellhead
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2759
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 15 Jan 2018 16:37 #261003

The knowledge I've picked up today: this sort of discussion always drags me into the Great Vowel Shift, which everybody knows about :). But going on right now is the Northern Cities Vowel Shift . Who knew? I didn't.
  • RobertB
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 428
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 15 Jan 2018 17:39 #261009

One of my bucket list things is to have Amy Hoggart call me stewpid to my face

I feel like it’s easily achievable
  • Black Barney
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2945
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 15 Jan 2018 18:06 #261013

I want Amy hoggart to get stewpid on my face.

I mean, whaaaaaat?

On topic, just started Electric Dreams on Amazon. It seems quite promising.
  • Colorcrayons
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 864
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Jackwraith

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 18 Jan 2018 16:38 #261422

Watched almost all of Black Mirror 4 last night.

- USS Callister was GREAT and easily the best show that I've seen of this lot. Such a neat mix of dystopia, satire, and loving homage. It was grim, but weirdly hopeful. I'd rank it as one of the top episodes, and it easily could have been a feature.

- Arkangel was OK, but some elements felt repetitive with previous episodes. What if phones but too much. The blurring out thing was in White Christmas, and that was such a strong concept there, not sure why Booker went back to that.

- Crocodile was interesting- while I was watching it, I was pretty meh on it. But as a sort of Hitchcockian thing with only a very slight (but hugely implausible) sci-fi angle, it worked. I found myself liking it more than I thought I did. Interesting that John Hillcoat directed it.

- Hang the DJ was fucking terrible. What if phones but too much. I guess folks like this one because it is like that one in the first season I also don't like, The Complete History of You or whatever. I do not really like the sex episodes much, I guess. San Junipero was VASTLY better than this one in terms of the "uplifting Black Mirror episode about relationships" category.

- Metalhead felt more like a short student film than a fully realized episode of an expensive TV show. I liked the ruthless, Kojima-like mini-Metal Gear and the horror angle was cool. But it also felt empty and sort of pointless. Black Mirror can tell much more interesting stories than "man versus machine". I mean, it had about the same message as The Terminator. It seriously felt like something someone would upload to Youtube to get the attention of producers.

Fell asleep right as Black Museum started.

I also tried to watch the Netflix Godzilla anime, it was TERRIBLE. Sooooo boring. It's like they tried to copy Battlestar Galactica but somehow make it a Godzilla thing. The Galactica is actually in it, I swear.
-
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 6284

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 18 Jan 2018 16:51 #261424

Black Mirror Spoiler Warning....

What I liked about Hang the DJ was the implications and irreverence of the whole thing. So we've developed a complex AI that's able to model human interaction and entire worlds, and what are we using it for?

And you have this complicated simulation that's a test, which is passed by breaking the system. It's like a self-referencing allegory.
  • charlest
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1776
Last Edit: 18 Jan 2018 16:53 by charlest.
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds