October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
24 Jan 2018 15:08 #262010 by bronb

Michael Barnes wrote: And then Morty's arm comes out of the portal and shoots the jellybean dead.

The episode is even more subtle than you credited it for. That was not Morty's arm.
FWIW the schoolboy crudeness occurs a lot less in later episodes.

Gary Sax wrote: There's this really dark, disturbing undercurrent to Rick and Morty and it sort of shocks me that the people who are Such Huge Fans don't see it.

That surprises me, it's fairly clear, Rick is a selfish unprincipled arse.

hotseatgames wrote: Okay.... forgive my ignorance because I have never had the chance to see Rick and Morty. Which one is Rick and which one is Morty?

Rick is the tall, dashing hero and Morty is the one that looks like Tom Cruise.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2018 15:20 #262012 by Shellhead

Gary Sax wrote: There's this really dark, disturbing undercurrent to Rick and Morty and it sort of shocks me that the people who are Such Huge Fans don't see it.

"Such Huge Fans" have no illusions about Rick. They all wish they could get away with the awful things that Rick does.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, lj1983

More
24 Jan 2018 15:21 - 24 Jan 2018 15:21 #262013 by Gary Sax
Maybe they see it and they think that's what an admirable person is because he's funny? It's pretty obvious.

Yeah, good point Shellhead. We live in an era of pretty questionable heroes.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2018 15:21 by Gary Sax.

More
24 Jan 2018 16:17 #262047 by Michael Barnes
I think there is definitely a cultural resonance with a certain type of young adult male going on with Rick. He is RUTHLESSLY nihilistic, amoral, and devoid of a sense of social responsibility. Like Sax pointed out, the typical internet denizen. And I do think it is actually upsetting that people IDENTIFY with and IDOLIZE him when he is a total nightmare.

It is a really, really dark show...the one where Rick and Morty "Cronenberg" (ha) this dimension and escape simply by abandoning it and moving into an alternate dimension where they have been killed, carrying on in their stead by hiding their own bodies, is one of the grimmest and most despairing things I think I've ever seen. It's not without a black humor, but the bit where they see their bodies and Morty sort of struggles with burying his own body is another "suddenly very real" moment. It's an oddly reflexive comment about the consequences of their shenanigans...and then there's this sequence where Morty is silently realizing that they just pretty much killed everyone they knew and loved along with the rest of the world and they will have to continue living in this alternate timeline...man, that was REALLY freaking heavy for a goofy cartoon full of dick jokes.

But then there's a great little twist..."Cronenberg" versions of Rick and Morty show up in the ruined dimension, claiming to have left behind a dimension that made normal...

More
24 Jan 2018 16:24 - 24 Jan 2018 16:25 #262054 by RobertB
I watched Counterpart last night. The first episode wasn't too bad. J.K. Simmons is doing an awesome job at changing just enough of his demeanor that you can tell which person is Wimpy JK and which one is Assassin JK. I'd say it's worth watching, but we'll see how it holds up.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2018 16:25 by RobertB.

More
24 Jan 2018 16:39 #262058 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Michael Barnes wrote: I think there is definitely a cultural resonance with a certain type of young adult male going on with Rick. He is RUTHLESSLY nihilistic, amoral, and devoid of a sense of social responsibility. Like Sax pointed out, the typical internet denizen. And I do think it is actually upsetting that people IDENTIFY with and IDOLIZE him when he is a total nightmare.

This reminds me of 20 years ago when Trainspotting came out and everyone around me was saying what a cool film it was and I kept getting angry because the people in that film were utterly horrible to each other and everyone else in the world, in spite of how 'cool' the aesthetic of the film was. I still get quite upset thinking about that film,and I don't understand why it is still regarded as a masterpiece.

More
24 Jan 2018 16:51 #262062 by Gary Sax

Michael Barnes wrote: It is a really, really dark show...the one where Rick and Morty "Cronenberg" (ha) this dimension and escape simply by abandoning it and moving into an alternate dimension where they have been killed, carrying on in their stead by hiding their own bodies, is one of the grimmest and most despairing things I think I've ever seen. It's not without a black humor, but the bit where they see their bodies and Morty sort of struggles with burying his own body is another "suddenly very real" moment. It's an oddly reflexive comment about the consequences of their shenanigans...and then there's this sequence where Morty is silently realizing that they just pretty much killed everyone they knew and loved along with the rest of the world and they will have to continue living in this alternate timeline...man, that was REALLY freaking heavy for a goofy cartoon full of dick jokes.

When you brought the dark series shit up, this is the moment I thought you were going to be referring to. It is upsetting television. I still think it's done well, though, so while it's dark I think it's trying to say something.

More
24 Jan 2018 19:05 - 24 Jan 2018 19:06 #262084 by hotseatgames

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: This reminds me of 20 years ago when Trainspotting came out and everyone around me was saying what a cool film it was and I kept getting angry because the people in that film were utterly horrible to each other and everyone else in the world, in spite of how 'cool' the aesthetic of the film was. I still get quite upset thinking about that film,and I don't understand why it is still regarded as a masterpiece.

I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but I enjoy that film. While I have endless disdain for junkies, I do love a good drug film. FYI, there is actually a sequel to Trainspotting, and it's also worth a look.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2018 19:06 by hotseatgames.

More
25 Jan 2018 12:59 #262139 by Michael Barnes
Ha ha, OK, yeah...there is actually a Rick and Morty episode spoofing Needful Things where THE ACTUAL DEVIL calls out Rick for being WORSE than him. And it actually had a reference to Friday the 13th: The Series.

Those graves came up again later...yeesh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
25 Jan 2018 13:44 #262149 by ThirstyMan
Designated Survivor is utterly boring. It's trying to be a mix between West Wing and 24 and it's not really doing well on either front. The politics is so friggin simplistic it's unbelievable and the conspiracy aspect is just dead boring. I'm surprised anyone, apart from me, is still watching it.

Grimm is terrible - like a police procedural with a lot of German words.

Fauda is not a bad Israeli attempt at a thriller but a bit clumsy in execution. It's in Hebrew and Arabic. Not sure if it is on US Netflix

Might watch Masters of Sex, anyone know if it's any good ?

More
25 Jan 2018 15:55 #262165 by the_jake_1973
Wife and I finished our binge of the latest Grace and Frankie season. The show is still enjoyable and is starting to work in the kids concerns for their aging mothers living alone.

More
25 Jan 2018 16:43 #262167 by Joebot
I finished watching Godless, which is a seven-episode Western on Netflix.

It was okay. I read that the creator initially pitched the story as a movie, then eventually it got turned into a Netflix show. It feels like the creator went, "Sweet! I get seven hours instead of only two?? Let's slow things down and introduce a ton of side characters and B-plots!!"

I actually liked the slower pace and wider scope though. You got a much better sense of the people in this town, beyond just the few main characters. The sheriff's sister was my favorite character! She was awesome and hilarious. You also got some weird bits, like a side plot with this German lady and a Pinkerton agent who was tracking her. Stuff like that slowed the story down, but I would argue it also served to flesh out the townspeople, and make it feel more like a real place.

The big final confrontation between the townspeople and the bad guys didn't really live up to the slow build-up. The tactics employed by both sides were ... kinda dumb.

So, overall, kind of a mixed bag. The cast was solid, and the music and cinematography were great. Some really, really beautiful scenery. If you like Westerns, I think it's worth your time.

More
25 Jan 2018 16:53 #262168 by SuperflyPete
Been watching Travelers. Neat idea and entertaining show but if this all knowing computer is so smart, why didn’t they just inhabit every leader, cabinet minister, and military officer worldwide and just change everything overnight. Take over Zuck and Jobs and Woz and Bezos and all the rest of the main influencers? Why Dick around with housewives?

More
25 Jan 2018 17:08 #262170 by barrowdown

the_jake_1973 wrote: Wife and I finished our binge of the latest Grace and Frankie season. The show is still enjoyable and is starting to work in the kids concerns for their aging mothers living alone.

We are a couple of episodes in. Our initial reaction was the rather jarring introduction of Lisa Kudrow's character, which felt like "hey, we need a new plot". I have faith the show will make it work, but it felt a little rough to us.

JoeBot wrote: I finished watching Godless, which is a seven-episode Western on Netflix.

As I said in my thoughts in an earlier post, it really feels like it was a couple of ideas bolted together and not in a seamless way. Great looking and well acted, but overall it was a 2-hour moving with 5 hours of random side stories attached with varying levels of quality. Some (such as the German woman) were completely superfluous and seemed to exist in their own other world and not in the interesting worldbuilding way.

SuperflyTNT wrote: Been watching Travelers. Neat idea and entertaining show but if this all knowing computer is so smart, why didn’t they just inhabit every leader, cabinet minister, and military officer worldwide and just change everything overnight. Take over Zuck and Jobs and Woz and Bezos and all the rest of the main influencers? Why Dick around with housewives?

It's been a while since I have watched the first season, but isn't the idea that they can only inhabit people where they know the exact time and place they died as well as be during a specific historical time period?

More
25 Jan 2018 17:39 #262171 by the_jake_1973
Barrow, at the risk of spoiling the plot, she does not stick around past Ep 3 I think.

Her character was just a way for the two mains to realize they miss each other. The season gets better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.198 seconds