October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
14 Mar 2018 17:00 #265685 by Joebot

Jackwraith wrote: That was my reaction to the first season. I couldn't even finish it. JFC, she may be able to survive getting hit by a car but if there was any justice in the world she would have choked to death on her own angst by now. I got to episode 4 and just turned it off, then I had a half dozen friends pleading with me: "No! It gets SO good!" So I gritted my teeth and watched to episode 8 and I got to the point where I could feel my life slipping away, hour by wasted hour. I have no idea what the rest of these people were seeing unless they're somehow thrilled by the equivalent of a 15-year-old's guilt over something she said to a friend yesterday in school, combined with the belief that no one likes her, anyway. (I have one. That's how I know.) It basically alienated me to the rest of Marvel's Netflix output. I loved the first season of Daredevil. I thought the second season was decent. But Jones and Iron First (the two episodes I could sit through) were brutal. I haven't even watched Luke Cage or The Defenders as a consequence.

If I had to rank the Marvel Netflix shows, it would go like this:
1) Season 1 Daredevil -- Easily the best action and fight choreography of all of them. Cast is pretty good, except for Foggy who sucks. I have no idea what Vincent D'onfrio is doing with his line delivery but his version of the Kingpin is .... unique.
2) Season 1 Jessica Jones -- Plodding and angsty, but David Tennant is great, funny, and scary as the bad guy. And Krysten Ritter can be hilarious at times.
3) Season 2 Daredevil -- Definitely a step down from season 1, and definitely lacking in in weird Vincent D'Onfrio, but still decent. Getting tired of The Hand as the bad guys though.
4) Season 1 Luke Cage -- Great cast. Simone Missick steals the whole fucking show. It goes off the rails in the final third of the season, when they introduce a ridiculous new bad guy out of nowhere.
5) Season 1 Punisher -- I guess it's competently done, but just not to my tastes. I like superheroes. I like the sci-fi / fantasy stuff. The Punisher is just a dude with a gun, and really kind of dull.
6) Defenders -- Very disappointing. REALLY tired of The Hand as the bad guys by now.
7) Season 1 Iron Fist -- Just fucking dire. THE ONE THING you have to deliver in an Iron Fist show is cool martial arts and fight choreography, right?? This show failed miserably at that one goddamn thing. And Finn Jones ... man, that guys sucks, but the writing didn't help him any. Terrible show.

We'll see where Season 2 of Jessica Jones slots. So far (three eps in), it's not looking great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, lj1983, Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2018 18:54 #265704 by ChristopherMD
Halfway through Jessica Jones S2. Even more than the first season I find the Jeri Hogarth character so unlikeable that I'm tempted to shut it off every time she's in a scene.

Neither Luke Cage or Iron Fist deserve second seasons. They did have good chemistry in Defenders so Netflix should have just combined them into a Heroes For Hire show instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
14 Mar 2018 22:08 - 14 Mar 2018 22:09 #265723 by Shellhead

Mad Dog wrote: Halfway through Jessica Jones S2. Even more than the first season I find the Jeri Hogarth character so unlikeable that I'm tempted to shut it off every time she's in a scene.

Neither Luke Cage or Iron Fist deserve second seasons. They did have good chemistry in Defenders so Netflix should have just combined them into a Heroes For Hire show instead.

Jeryn Hogarth was originally Iron Fist's attorney, and a dude:

vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldataba...st?cb=20151012102513
Last edit: 14 Mar 2018 22:09 by Shellhead.

More
15 Mar 2018 12:59 #265770 by Gregarius

Joebot wrote: If I had to rank the Marvel Netflix shows, it would go like this:
1) Season 1 Daredevil -- Easily the best action and fight choreography of all of them. Cast is pretty good, except for Foggy who sucks. I have no idea what Vincent D'onfrio is doing with his line delivery but his version of the Kingpin is .... unique.
2) Season 1 Jessica Jones -- Plodding and angsty, but David Tennant is great, funny, and scary as the bad guy. And Krysten Ritter can be hilarious at times.
3) Season 2 Daredevil -- Definitely a step down from season 1, and definitely lacking in in weird Vincent D'Onfrio, but still decent. Getting tired of The Hand as the bad guys though.
4) Season 1 Luke Cage -- Great cast. Simone Missick steals the whole fucking show. It goes off the rails in the final third of the season, when they introduce a ridiculous new bad guy out of nowhere.
5) Season 1 Punisher -- I guess it's competently done, but just not to my tastes. I like superheroes. I like the sci-fi / fantasy stuff. The Punisher is just a dude with a gun, and really kind of dull.
6) Defenders -- Very disappointing. REALLY tired of The Hand as the bad guys by now.
7) Season 1 Iron Fist -- Just fucking dire. THE ONE THING you have to deliver in an Iron Fist show is cool martial arts and fight choreography, right?? This show failed miserably at that one goddamn thing. And Finn Jones ... man, that guys sucks, but the writing didn't help him any. Terrible show.

Wow, these are exactly my thoughts/ranking of the shows, except for the fact that I haven't bothered to watch Punisher or Iron Fist. I was curious about Punisher, but there's too much other good stuff out there. Oh, and I liked Foggy. He wasn't the guy from the comics, but I liked the actor's take on him.

More
15 Mar 2018 13:16 - 15 Mar 2018 13:22 #265774 by Colorcrayons
After watching Iron Fist, I lost the will to put in the effort of keeping up anymore.

Not only was it bad on a lot of levels, but the wasn't enjoyable even for the sake of watching something dumb.
Add to that I am a huge Iron fist fan, and my disappointment was enough to say fuck it. I haven't watched defenders or punisher or Jessica Jones S2 yet, but barring those titles, I share Joebot's sentiments.

I will say I do like D'nofrio's take on Kingpin though. I find it compelling.
Last edit: 15 Mar 2018 13:22 by Colorcrayons.

More
15 Mar 2018 14:27 #265778 by Shellhead
It's disappointing that they went with a street-level team for the Defenders instead of using a classic line-up in movies: Hulk, Doctor Strange, Valkyrie, and Namor.

More
16 Mar 2018 10:11 #265825 by ChristopherMD
Finished Jessica Jones S2. It was okay. Episode #11 was the best one because of
Warning: Spoiler!
. DD S1 is definitely the best Marvel Netflix Universe show and its been a gradual decline from there. I'll watch DD S3 to see what they do with Born Again but can't say I'll bother with the MNU other than that.
Finally burning out on the superhero stuff like so many others have. Only watching Legends of Tomorrow for the wackiness and Legion S2 when it comes on since Legion S1 may be the best superhero show ever made. At the very least its the most interesting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Mar 2018 12:13 - 23 Mar 2018 12:13 #266255 by repoman
Wild Wild Country on Netflix is a docu-series about the rise and fall of the Rajneeshee cult from the late 60's in India to the early 80's in Oregon.

Very fascinating and, it seems, pretty even handed regarding how the cultists saw themselves and their actions.

From the political take over of a town and darn near a whole county's government, to bio-terror, to attempted murder all behind the cover of peace love and understanding.

I was mesmerized by the whole thing.

Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Mar 2018 12:13 by repoman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Colorcrayons

More
23 Mar 2018 12:26 #266260 by hotseatgames
I'm really liking Dark, on Netflix. Part Twin Peaks, part Broadchurch. Word of warning- it's a German show, and you really need to use the German audio and English subtitles, because the English dub is TERRIBLE.

More
23 Mar 2018 23:34 #266302 by hotseatgames
I finished Dark. What a weird show. I can't say I'm crazy about the ending, but it is worth your time.

More
25 Mar 2018 17:22 - 25 Mar 2018 17:27 #266331 by ChristopherMD
Frontier - Came across this show randomly and its surprisingly good. Its a historical drama set around 1700's Canada fur trade where Hudson Bay Company is trying to maintain a monopoly through whatever means necessary while other characters want in on the area fur trade. Stars Jason Momoa as a friend of the natives who tries to keep the monopoly broken with extreme prejudice.

Last edit: 25 Mar 2018 17:27 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
25 Mar 2018 17:34 #266332 by Colorcrayons

repoman wrote: Wild Wild Country on Netflix is a docu-series about the rise and fall of the Rajneeshee cult from the late 60's in India to the early 80's in Oregon.

Very fascinating and, it seems, pretty even handed regarding how the cultists saw themselves and their actions.

From the political take over of a town and darn near a whole county's government, to bio-terror, to attempted murder all behind the cover of peace love and understanding.

I was mesmerized by the whole thing.

I moved to Oregon in '83 as a second grader. Too young to remember much outside of the occasional red cloth riding through Ashland in attempts to recruit and bring in cash and the numerous news broadcasts. One thing bound everyone together though, no matter how liberal or conservative you were, the rajneeshees were universally reviled.

Whenever I see people spouting off about libertarian ideals, I go back to that time in my mind, as I saw the downfall of the libertarian Utopia by their own hands.

The weird thing, is that Osho (the Bagwan Sri Rajneesh) wrote a lot of very illuminated papers. But something went wrong along the way, and I believe that thing to be $$$.

More
25 Mar 2018 21:40 #266341 by Sagrilarus
L

Mad Dog wrote: Frontier - Came across this show randomly and its surprisingly good. Its a historical drama set around 1700's Canada fur trade where Hudson Bay Company is trying to maintain a monopoly through whatever means necessary while other characters want in on the area fur trade. Stars Jason Momoa as a friend of the natives who tries to keep the monopoly broken with extreme prejudice.

What channel?

More
25 Mar 2018 22:03 #266342 by ChristopherMD

Sagrilarus wrote: What channel?

Discovery or Netflix
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus

More
26 Mar 2018 07:58 - 26 Mar 2018 07:59 #266351 by hotseatgames
Watched the first episode of season 2 of Santa Clarita Diet on Netflix, and it was hilarious. I loved season 1. For the uninitiated, Timothy Olyphant (NOT playing a character in law enforcement) is married to Drew Barrymore. Somehow she contracts a zombie virus, and craves human flesh. Hijinx ensue.

Warning, this show is not for kids.
Last edit: 26 Mar 2018 07:59 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Nodens

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.977 seconds