October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
03 Jul 2015 10:46 #205346 by Mr. White

hotseatgames wrote: It's a BBC show.

I must be an idiot, but I don't see viewable episodes on the BBC website. Just clips. Was this a thing I need to have watched while it aired?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2015 12:42 #205347 by ChristopherMD
I just finished watching it (torrent, sorry Mr. White). I really liked it overall, but feel like 10 episodes instead of 7 would have been better. I'll definitely check out the book, which is probably the highest compliment I can make to a show/movie based on a book. Does the book end at basically the same point as the series or is there more?

More
03 Jul 2015 12:51 #205348 by Disgustipater

craniac wrote: I am into season three of Mad Men. It's pretty good, but Don is a bit ridiculous. I am saving season four to watch on the 24 hour trip from Qatar to Utah, at which point I may stop watching because I hear it goes downhill after that.

I watched the entire run, and I agree that I didn't really enjoy it after Season 3-4.

More
03 Jul 2015 12:56 #205349 by Michael Barnes
I watched Wayward Pines and thought it was trash but at least enjoyable to a point...thought at first that it was a total rip-off of Twin Peaks, then The Prisoner, then of The Village (Shyamalan...). And then there is an episode where you are more less literally shown a slideshow presentation about What Is Really Going On Here. Which is just horrible, horrible writing. I mean, literally, you are shown a slideshow where a character explains the whole thing to you, the audience, while some other characters in the scene look on. Fucking stupid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wice

More
03 Jul 2015 13:11 #205353 by Grudunza
Well, of course that may not be what's going on, after all. It's a guilty pleasure for me at this point, as I didn't expect to continue after the first episide. I will say that it's a bit of a return to form for Shyamalan, which is good, but still exhibits the best and worst of his work.

More
03 Jul 2015 13:22 #205356 by Michael Barnes
Right, I assume that the slideshow isn't actually What Is Really Going On Here, because there has to be some kind of convoluted twist to back out of what is a completely, 100% implausible and really kind of ludicrous concept. Right? RIGHT?

I actually like the reasons "why"...but I'm sure it'll turn out to be something else.

They aren't all dead though, Shymalan's condition on producing the show were that they couldn't all be dead. A la Lost. He wanted to avoid that, and likely also the Sixth Sense stigma.

More
03 Jul 2015 13:41 #205361 by Grudunza
I agree with you... I like the premise and reasoning behind What's Going On (or what seems to be going on). It's different and interesting. But the way it's written and telegraphed causes some eye rolls here and there. And like many series of this type, a four part miniseries (remember those?) would have told this story MUCH better than ten parts.

But it is the most "Shyamalanic" thing Shyamalan has done in quite a while, for better and worse, and I kind of missed that and appreciate this series in general for that.

More
05 Jul 2015 06:06 #205407 by daveroswell
I finally finished the first season of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. One question: why in the season 1 finale, do we pan to a shelf full of weapons and enclosed S.H.I.E.L.D boxes only to find a game of Dominion in the shot? Did the crew play a game and forget to take the game out of the shot? It just seems glaringly out of place.

More
05 Jul 2015 09:58 - 05 Jul 2015 22:56 #205411 by Shellhead
I'm halfway through watching Low Winter Sun. I've never heard of it before, and randomly came across it at the library. The concept is potentially interesting, and this isn't a spoiler really since it's the very first scene of the show: two homicide cops kill a dirty cop.

It's not bad, but rough around the edges. The actors range from moderately good to moderately bad. Some of the early dialogue is a bit clunky and you can see the worse actors struggling with it. The failing city of Detroit is used well as a setting, and racial tension simmers a bit below the surface of many scenes. There are some strong scenes and the tension keeps building without getting ridiculous so far. The best part is that these characters have layers, and the viewer doesn't know who to trust.

EDIT: Finished watching the show. The slow burn eventually turns into a blazing wildfire. Towards the end, there is a great episode where a main character spins completely out of control and it feels like anything could happen. The final episode is also pretty good, though there are a couple of moments that feel off. The show didn't get a second season, but that may have been for the best. Viewers tend to be fine with good guys who break the rules to do the right thing, but maybe not bad people who are supposed to be good and break the rules to do more wrong things.
Last edit: 05 Jul 2015 22:56 by Shellhead.

More
05 Jul 2015 14:24 - 05 Jul 2015 14:25 #205417 by Chapel
I started watching a show on USA networks that if you haven't started watching it, I would suggest running not walking to the nearest ON demand DVR and watch a show called Mr. ROBOT

Last edit: 05 Jul 2015 14:25 by Chapel.

More
05 Jul 2015 18:13 #205424 by daveroswell

Chapel wrote: I started watching a show on USA networks that if you haven't started watching it, I would suggest running not walking to the nearest ON demand DVR and watch a show called Mr. ROBOT

I am trying. The main character's voice (especially narrating) tends to put me to sleep. I do watch Suits, so I'm trying to stay awake through a whole show of Mr. Robot.

More
06 Jul 2015 08:35 #205442 by charlest
I really enjoyed Low Winter Sun, but I really like both those two main actors. It never got any buzz and its lack of future renewal was apparent from the get-go unfortunately.

More
20 Jul 2015 10:16 #206559 by Black Barney
Anyone catch SNL? Kevin Hart doing James Brown was a total blast.

More
20 Jul 2015 10:36 #206563 by Sagrilarus
I stumbled across the old Alfred Hitchcock Presents series, and I'll tell you what -- some of the best storylines and best acting I've seen on TV. Much more convoluted plotlines than modern mysteries.

More
20 Jul 2015 10:57 #206565 by ChristopherMD
Hell on Wheels just started back up so I'll be watching that. Good first episode until the WTF moment at the end with the Swede showing up.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.953 seconds