October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Rogue One (with SPOILERS)

More
22 Dec 2016 11:13 #241177 by Black Barney
The monk died in his friend's arms for crying out loud! If anyone doesn't think this is a war movie, they are out of their mind.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2016 12:07 #241183 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Rogue One (with SPOILERS)
One minor nitpick - why the hell does Baze's gun need to be connected to a portable vacuum cleaner tank on his back ? Every other weapon in the SW movie universe seems to be energized much more efficiently.

More
22 Dec 2016 13:52 #241193 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic Rogue One (with SPOILERS)
Could of possible explanations for questions raised in this thread:

1. Tarkin blasts the data storage site because KRENNIK is there. And Krennick is trying to snatch control of the Death Star from Tarkin (or vice versa). So he possibly stops the rebels and kills a rival in one stroke.

2. The dish control tower is way out on a ledge so you can see AROUND the dish in order to aim it. Yeah, that's it :)

3. The data storage is manually operated to prevent it from being hacked. Multiple failsafes to prevent unauthorized entry (all of which failed, of course).

4. The visual disctionary probably explains it, but I imagine Baze has that backpack in order to power or cool his machine gun blaster. No one else has a fast repeating blaster like that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b.

More
22 Dec 2016 14:03 #241195 by Black Barney
4 if you remember on Hoth, any type of repeating gun used by either the rebels or especially the empire had to be connected to something for it to work. I'm glad to see consistency around this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
22 Dec 2016 15:29 #241202 by the_jake_1973
The flamethrower stormtroopers have back canisters as well.

More
22 Dec 2016 20:03 #241215 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Rogue One (with SPOILERS)

Black Barney wrote: How can you think Kylo Ren's tantrum Saber scene (done for comedic effect and some sort of weird statement that the Dark side breeds for undisciplined children) is better than Vader at the height of his ability totally cleaning house and ruining the lives of those troopers? Also, it's pretty damn scary.

Jake is right, the tantrum solidifies the fact that Ren is a very weak villian and is no Vader.

I don't think he's better than Vader, but he doesn't have to be. I actually liked the tantrum scene because before that scene I was worried that this is going to be "another Vader". With that scene, the movie established that Kylo is a very different character and would have his own development arc. For all the people whining that TFA is A New Hope 2.0, it's surprising how people want Kylo to have the same arc/character/presence/power level as Vader.

The monk died in his friend's arms for crying out loud! If anyone doesn't think this is a war movie, they are out of their mind.

Theoden died in Eowyn arms. It's as much as a war movie as The Return of the King was...

More
22 Dec 2016 20:25 #241217 by Black Barney
Different kind though. ROTK is the last piece in an epic. Rogue One is a band of misfit military doing an impossible mission like Guns of Navarone.

Do you really not understand why people draw parallels between Ren and Vader. Vader is the villian of all three preceeding Star Wars episodes. Ren is the villian of Force Awakens so....

More
22 Dec 2016 22:37 #241227 by ChristopherMD

jason10mm wrote: 4. The visual disctionary probably explains it, but I imagine Baze has that backpack in order to power or cool his machine gun blaster. No one else has a fast repeating blaster like that.

It is to cool it per the visual dictionary.
l.yimg.com/dh/ap/default/161216/Guardian-Weapons-Exclusive.pdf

Also, Chirrut built his bow to complete his Guardian training.

More
22 Dec 2016 22:52 #241229 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic Rogue One (with SPOILERS)

Black Barney wrote: How can you think Kylo Ren's tantrum Saber scene (done for comedic effect and some sort of weird statement that the Dark side breeds for undisciplined children) is better than Vader at the height of his ability totally cleaning house and ruining the lives of those troopers? Also, it's pretty damn scary.

Jake is right, the tantrum solidifies the fact that Ren is a very weak villian and is no Vader.

Hmm, I sense the faint noise of something, almost like the non-sensical whisperings of the Dead-to-Me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
22 Dec 2016 22:54 - 22 Dec 2016 22:57 #241230 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic Rogue One (with SPOILERS)

Kylo's tantrum is more original and unexpected and plays for anger and pissiness (and later for a sharp bit of comedy), revealing his character. Vader cutting through everyone is fun, but in that moment, did you really not expect that to happen, or that he was capable of that? It's a powerful visceral moment, but also a little bit ham-fisted... of course the guy was going to slip the file through at the last second.
Last edit: 22 Dec 2016 22:57 by Grudunza.

More
23 Dec 2016 01:10 #241233 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Rogue One (with SPOILERS)

Black Barney wrote: Do you really not understand why people draw parallels between Ren and Vader. Vader is the villian of all three preceeding Star Wars episodes. Ren is the villian of Force Awakens so....

No, the question wasn't that. The question was why is the people who hates TFA being ANH clone, can't accept that Ren is just a different kind of villain?

More
23 Dec 2016 01:58 #241234 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Rogue One (with SPOILERS)
Although I don't like TFA like at all, I'm going to step in it's defense on this one.

"Lightsaber tantrum" was a genially original scene, was one of the few I did not see coming, and it fit well with the character. Although, I have to say, Ren is behaving very similarly to "I-am-old-enough-to-be-on-the-Jedi-council" Anakin. Of course, Adam Driver is a way more accomplished actor and his tantrums are better written in.
On the other hand, the "airlock massacre" - while very powerful - I suspect was born as a 100% fan service. It is a happy accident it turned out to be THAT good and emotional. Simply because if that was planned, some other parts of the movie could have been better, too.

Also, although I liked RO better, the truth is that it follows in the steps of TFA big time. It has similar sensibilities aesthetically, and I imagine borrows many assets. It is kind of the same pattern as Disney Marvel movies.

Also, I don't think it is the right time to bash TFA in favor of RO... just because you get yourself a shiny new toy for Christmas, don't discard your present from the last year. It makes all the toys feel sad and insecure about their future.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
23 Dec 2016 18:20 #241267 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Rogue One (with SPOILERS)
My son is watching New Hope now, and planning a mega session of RO+NH with his friends. That´s freaking cute.
He's also saying that Darth Vader looks "rustier" in NH than in RO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
26 Dec 2016 13:05 #241330 by Nodens
Replied by Nodens on topic Rogue One (with SPOILERS)
A post on tor.com led to me wondering if the Hollywood Reporter's review really said that the movie not having a male lead to legitimize the female lead through being his love interest diminished the main character. I went and checked, think he did. Outrageous! This might end up as the most subversive movie of 2016. I feel a strong urge to go back to the theatre for another viewing.

More
26 Dec 2016 19:59 #241340 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Rogue One (with SPOILERS)

dysjunct wrote: I was really hoping for an appearance by Porkins. :(

Also, NO Bothan spies died! Total letdown. I was expecting complete Bothan carnage.

Over it was okay. Agree with the criticisms of the shaky plot and the flat characterizations. Things felt rushed, going from one set piece to another without giving the story or the characters time to breathe.

The CGI of Tarkin and Leia didn't bother me.

The last third was really good. At first I was a bit shocked when everyone started dying, but of course that's the only way you can do it. You can't introduce all these heroes and then have them conspicuously absent then rest of the movies.

Anyway, solid 7.

I was really hoping they would mention some offscreen character named "Manny Bothenz" who tragically dies in the assault. Call me Kathleen Kennedy! I have ideas!

It was pretty good! I like the whole THE BATTLE FOR ALGIERS vibe and I think the Death Star as city destroyer is way cooler (and honestly, far more effective) than as planet destroyer.

I like not knowing who's going to make it.

I like that TARS was reborn as K-2SO. Sassy droid is best droid.

....CGI humans--recognizable actors, it's not to be done. It was bad here--the lighting is wrong. Everyone looks too shiny. Light actually penetrates into skin, bounces around and comes back out. It's hard to model this in CGI in an inexpensive way, and it makes people look fake. I was likely not helped by having seen De-Specialized ANH just a few months ago, so Peter Cushing was fresh in my mind. I was used to artificial Carrie Fisher though, having seen her in TFA (SHOTS FIRED AT A HEART ATTACK VICTIM YA'LL, I MUST BE DARK SIDE)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.654 seconds