October 09, 2023
2444 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

ALIEN: Covenant

More
09 Jan 2017 15:13 #242112 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic ALIEN: Covenant
It absolutely shouldn't be just about Alien/s, but it shouldn't be NOT about aliens. Like Alien 3, for example, which nobody still has a clue what the fuck was it about, and it is too boring to speculate, but definitely not about Aliens.
My point is, Blomkamp is not making sci-fi, he's making movies about social injustices disguised as sci-fi. So, he's basically like Michael Moore, but instead of slightly (or heavily, depending on your opinion) manipulating reality to fit his political agenda, Blomkamp straight-up invents a world which he immediately proceeds to mercilessly denounce. And he does that every time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2017 15:22 - 09 Jan 2017 15:23 #242117 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic ALIEN: Covenant
It's funny you mention Alien 3 cuz I was about to say your post is totally right cuz the director of alien 3 was a newfish who had just done Madonna music videos, so putting new blood at the helm often leads to movies being about things they're not supposed to be about cuz the director wants to prove something to his parents that beat him senseless (or whatever drove them to Hollywood).

So i think you're right that Neil would have stylized it too much or made it more than it should be. I mean that was a HUGE problem with Elysium. It was entirely too preachy.

If Neil ever does do an Alien movie I guarantee it will climax with the aliens overrunning some pristine society that the 1% have set up for themselves
Last edit: 09 Jan 2017 15:23 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
09 Jan 2017 20:29 - 09 Jan 2017 21:04 #242134 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic ALIEN: Covenant
I'll take a filmmaker like Blomkamp all day over someone who doesn't have a damn thing to say. I love all of his films, warts and all. Yes he SMASHES you over the head with his messages, but he does it with a unique voice and style that is all his own. When you're watching one of his films it is UNMISTAKABLY a Neill Blomkamp film. I'd rather have that than some generic director who plays it safe, or gives the audience exactly what they think they want. There is already plenty of that in Hollywood. I'd rather see an idea man like Blomkamp reach for the stars and fail than have some voiceless director pump out a very generic and slightly better then average Alien flick.

The reason I was excited for his take on Alien was because:

1) It would be the first time he would be playing in someone else's world that he didn't make up. We've already seen time and time again the type of South African toybox he likes to concoct and it would probably do him well to escape from his comfort zone.

2) While it would be his film/vision, he would undoubtedly have someone to keep him in check. One of his biggest flaws is stuffing too many ideas into one movie, or to sometimes go completely off the rails while giving zero fucks.

3) I believe he was going to basically make Alien 3 and Resurrection non canon and continue Ripley's story. Good riddance I say. Alien 3 is depression and fucking awful. Resurrection is like a Looney Tunes cartoon set in the world of Alien. To the best of my knowledge, Blomkamp's intent was to have Newt and Hicks still be alive. I know Sigourney Weaver was on-board and liked the direction he was going in. That doesn't really mean anything, but whatever.
Last edit: 09 Jan 2017 21:04 by Egg Shen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney

More
09 Jan 2017 21:06 #242140 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic ALIEN: Covenant

Vlad wrote: It absolutely shouldn't be just about Alien/s, but it shouldn't be NOT about aliens. Like Alien 3, for example, which nobody still has a clue what the fuck was it about, and it is too boring to speculate, but definitely not about Aliens.
My point is, Blomkamp is not making sci-fi, he's making movies about social injustices disguised as sci-fi. So, he's basically like Michael Moore, but instead of slightly (or heavily, depending on your opinion) manipulating reality to fit his political agenda, Blomkamp straight-up invents a world which he immediately proceeds to mercilessly denounce. And he does that every time.

I liked it well enough. I definitely had different expectations of what the movie would or should have been, but for a sci-fi flick set in that universe, it was ok.

But I enjoyed alien resurrection too, so my opinion counts for not much to many.

More
09 Jan 2017 22:09 #242142 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic ALIEN: Covenant
Correct

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds