October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

ST - Discovery

More
24 Sep 2017 10:32 - 24 Sep 2017 10:42 #254696 by Pat II
Replied by Pat II on topic ST - Discovery
My issue with Star Trek was always the idea that humanoids with varying levels of facial disfiguration was all the galaxy could muster for intelligent life. I've watched almost all of TOS, TNG & DS9.back in the day. Just recently though after cutting cable I started watching Enterprise. I'm into the second season and it has been 20 years since I watched any Star Trek. I appreciate it for what it is but laugh somerimes at some of the side plots wondering how they would never get away with them now in our over PC culture. I like the throwback tough fuy Captain. I still think its funny how the ships whole upper command structure will leave the ship to investigate unknown life threatening phenomena, possibly leaving the ship to be run by junior officers should they all buy it.

I have little hope for this new series given todays political climate, given Star Trek always mirrored the current situation.

Oh yeah...Sopranos and the wire were great. Boardwalk Empire was entertaing as well. Its just TV.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2017 10:42 by Pat II.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2017 11:58 - 24 Sep 2017 11:58 #254704 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic ST - Discovery

Pat II wrote: My issue with Star Trek was always the idea that humanoids with varying levels of facial disfiguration was all the galaxy could muster for intelligent life.

There was a TNG episode (6x20) that explained it away.

"[...] and find that the program can reconfigure the tricorder to display a holographic image of a humanoid, silencing everyone. The recorded humanoid explains that her civilization existed in the galaxy alone, billions of lonely years before any of the others developed. As such, they spread their genetic material to other planets, in the hopes of creating a rich ecosystem of humanoids who could fulfill the joys of finding and integrating with alien cultures that these first beings never had. Most parties seem disgusted at the thought of a common progenitor."

Not the best reason, but it's a reason.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2017 11:58 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pat II

More
25 Sep 2017 08:45 #254735 by Pat II
Replied by Pat II on topic ST - Discovery
So...anyone watch this?

More
25 Sep 2017 09:30 - 25 Sep 2017 09:35 #254738 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic ST - Discovery
I did, in spite of my prior comment. A couple of basic observations:

1. Non-stop-thrill-ride. OMFG!!!! We figured out the last crisis, we need to panic over something else! I think the producer is looking to emulate the pacing of 24 for the show, at least for the first episode. It may have been more about grabbing the audience. Not the best show to watch right before bedtime.

2. Obligatory character from the old series in the new, because, you know, the United Federation of Planets more or less only has 14 people that participate in galactic affairs. I know the trekkers love that kind of stuff, but it seems so hokey that every character is related to every other character. I sure wish they would introduce some new characters instead, to provide more richness to the show.

3. A very Star Wars-ish look to it. Much more mechanical, much more bits and pieces, the bridge was more busy, more populated and not having that super-clean kind of look that Star Trek has had in the past. I liked that part and the filming style was rich. There's a woman with a computer for a head. I'm presuming a full blown android, but a lovely figure to make sure we don't have to look at a chasis on wheels which would be much more practical. More of a C3-PO than Commander Data. A bit part (sorry for the pun) that didn't speak, but she's got a computer for a head, I'm not sure it would make sense for her to speak. She's plugged into the doggone ship after all.

4. No ending. I watched on DVR and set it to record an hour extra because CBS always wonks their fall schedule due to football. So the show picked up in the middle of a 2-hour recording and ran its course. But, I couldn't figure out when it ended. There was an ad break after a something-just-happened moment, and when it returned it has a preview of what episode two has in it and it was done. Short of cutting someone off mid-sentence they couldn't have been much more abrupt. They really wanted you to go to CBS-Online and watch episode two right away.

5. The main character is a complete loose cannon. She would get life in prison or execution in most modern navies, had she somehow advanced to the position she has in the show, which she wouldn't. Don't know if they're going to leave her as the center of attention, of if she was just an attention grabber for episode 1.

Worth a look to judge for yourself. I don't think I'll follow it, but I may catch episodes on Sundays since there isn't much else on. But as it stands, I think it may be a show where you need to watch each episode in order to keep up with the story. May not be, but I don't see how they walk down the first episode's action in order for the show to go into the more typical Star Trek episodic model that we've seen in the past. Episode one opened an all-season-long sized can of worms.

S.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2017 09:35 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, Pat II, Gregarius

More
25 Sep 2017 10:21 #254744 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic ST - Discovery
Watched the first one so opinions are super early:

- It is Trek. I thought the show did a fairly good job of touching on a few key Trek things for a new audience. They go out to investigate weirdness, mystery ensues, Starfleet regs get in the way, some internal conflict, etc.

- the lead is promising but I hate that her name is Michael. Freaks me out. They brought back the Vulcan learning pits.

- Sarek...eh. Didn't really need that.

- the tall alien was kind of lame...C3PO crossed with Odo. I dunno. Needs more development.

- Daft Punk girl is great, hope she is the breakout character.

- mixed on the Klingons. They are preserving the culture (Kahless is on the first page of the script) but the look is very Chronicles of Riddick,

- Production design is great. Anyone who thinks TNG, DS9 or Voyager looks better is an tasteless idiot.

- love that they kept several of the sounds from TOS. Unexpected and pleasingly anachronistic.

Overall it's promising. But it is a modernized Trek, so it will likely be highly divisive with people who still yearn for the horrid hairstyles, glitter costumes and Data singing show tunes of TNG.
- Michelle Yeoh was awesome and I would be totally down with her being the next canonical captain.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Sagrilarus, Pat II

More
25 Sep 2017 10:51 - 25 Sep 2017 10:52 #254746 by Sagrilarus

Michael Barnes wrote: - Production design is great. Anyone who thinks TNG, DS9 or Voyager looks better is an tasteless idiot.

Dramatically better in my opinion. Simply no contest. The show looks damn good on the TV.

Warning: Spoiler!

A minor issue, but the uniforms don't appear to have rank insignia on them. I must have missed something.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2017 10:52 by Sagrilarus.

More
25 Sep 2017 11:33 - 25 Sep 2017 13:15 #254751 by engelstein
Replied by engelstein on topic ST - Discovery
Decidedly meh, IMHO.

I was really turned off by some of the science lapses. Yes, I'm being pedantic, but most of these were pretty egregious.

Bah, humbug.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2017 13:15 by engelstein. Reason: Fix my numbering so other pedants can't be as pedantic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Hex Sinister

More
25 Sep 2017 11:40 - 25 Sep 2017 11:40 #254752 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic ST - Discovery
I agree with remark upthread about Riker.

Last edit: 25 Sep 2017 11:40 by Shellhead.

More
25 Sep 2017 12:05 #254753 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic ST - Discovery
I guess "meh" is the proper response for both liking it and disliking it in equal measure?

Agree with a lot of the points above, although I did like the super-tall science officer. I appreciated that they put his pull-quote in better context in the show. They're not really "bred to detect death," which seemed ridiculous, but they just hyper-sensitive to danger.

I thought it was a bold choice to have the protagonist be someone I actively disliked. Maybe they're going for a big character arc? I hated the name "Michael."

Kinda loved the open flame torches on the Klingon ship, though, 'cause Klingons don't give a fuuuck.

More
25 Sep 2017 12:36 #254758 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic ST - Discovery

engelstein wrote: Decidedly meh, IMHO.

I was really turned off by some of the science lapses. Yes, I'm being pedantic, but most of these were pretty egregious.

Bah, humbug.

Well, you have two number 3's in that list....glass houses and all that :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: engelstein

More
25 Sep 2017 13:08 #254760 by Sagrilarus

engelstein wrote: Decidedly meh, IMHO.

Bah, humbug.

You gotta understand that there are two archetypes at play here, those that can understand science and those that can write screenplays. There's virtually no intersection between the two. I have no doubt someone raised the issue to the writers and they said something on the lines of "yeah, we're not going to worry about that" and the conversation came to an end.

More
25 Sep 2017 17:52 #254776 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic ST - Discovery
My boss said "meh" so I gotta run with that

I unexpectedly made final table again of a 1pm tournament so I totally missed it :(

More
25 Sep 2017 18:32 #254780 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic ST - Discovery
Watched the first 2 episodes. I hate it. Just more depressing war and death shit that every other show has. Also would it kill them to turn some lights on in the ship?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
25 Sep 2017 18:56 #254782 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic ST - Discovery

Mad Dog wrote: Watched the first 2 episodes. I hate it. Just more depressing war and death shit that every other show has. Also would it kill them to turn some lights on in the ship?

A lot of modern tv shows and movies go visually dark as often as possible for the same reason that bars and aging hookers keep the lights dim.

More
26 Sep 2017 16:14 #254839 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic ST - Discovery

Michael Barnes wrote: Michelle Yeoh was awesome and I would be totally down with her being the next canonical captain.

She's the only reason I bothered to check it out. I could be wrong but I swear it said "guest starring" during the credits. That leads me to believe she's going to get cut early and the lead will be commander "Michael" whatever. Who did not display the level of charisma of her predecessors like Kirk or Picard and I believe those strong characters (as well as secondary characters) help define the show. Hope to be wrong but I'm not feeling it right now.

I was fine with the Skyrim Space Orks...

Sarek appearance, dumb.

I keep hoping that ST will return to form but I think it's just done until some visionary can reign it in. I had high hopes for the movie reboot but that turned out to be awful and this doesn't seem next level to me. I hate to think of myself as a "former" fan but I'm drifting that way.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds