October 09, 2023
2769 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2921 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

The F:AT "Lost" thread

More
02 Feb 2010 09:53 #54567 by san il defanso
I don't want to threadjack the "Caprica" thread, but a couple of other people have stated their love for Lost and their excitement for the new season, starting tonight at 9 Eastern in the US.

I figured this would be a good spot to put those discussions, so that they don't bleed elsewhere. As a nerdy activity for myself, I posted four lists to my occasionally-updated blog (yes, I know no one uses Xanga anymore).

Lost: The Top 10 Characters
Lost: The Top 10 Episodes
Lost: The Top 10 Deaths
Lost: The Top 10 Unanswered Questions

I have a weakness for lists like this, and I'd love some thoughts, or any other thoughts and theories anyone has as this final season goes on.

For those watching the series now, SPOILERS ABOUND. Proceed at your own risk. Also, for our fellow F:ATties across the pond, we get the show a full three days before any of you, so you may want to wait to participate until you catch up. Or not. Whatever.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2010 10:31 #54572 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re:The F:AT
SanIlDefanso wrote:

I don't want to threadjack the "Caprica" thread,

Caprica?...Pffffht!

LOST! baby!

Here's hoping my theories of Mu and Cthulhu holds up...*fingers crossed*

More
02 Feb 2010 10:39 #54573 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Re:The F:AT "Lost" thread
I like your lists, although I'm not quite on the same wavelength on some points.

I thought Charlotte's character was going nowhere since they hadn't really done anything with her yet, so they killed her off through the time travel mishap. We could see it coming in the episode, but I thought that character was kind of pointless.

I heard Ana Lucia and Liby might have been killed because the actors got caught drunk driving in Hawaii during filming. It might have been the second time for Rodriguez too IIRC, so the producers might have been a bit pissed.

As for Charlie's death, it was expected, and he had made peace with it, but I still think it was handled poorly in the show. It somehow felt like he should have made it out of there. Desmond was in a large wide open space that would have taken a lot longer to fill up, even had Charlie not shut the hatch. I think that part was not quite polished enough, given that they wanted this moment to be really emotional for the viewers.

More
02 Feb 2010 10:43 #54574 by san il defanso
Evidently, Ana Lucia and Libby were planned to die from the time they got on the show. Their death was already written into the show when they had their run-ins.

It's weird, because everyone has a different response to different stuff in the show. I HATE Boone and Shannon, and I haven't missed them one bit since they died, but man. Some people actually liked them.

More
02 Feb 2010 10:57 #54576 by Columbob
Back to the Walt mystery, we'll probably never learn why ghost Walt appeared to some people on the island either.

More
02 Feb 2010 11:05 #54577 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:The F:AT "Lost" thread
Eko's death (he'll always be Adibese to me) is the oddest because they definitely did not finish that character's arc. They just crammed it in at the end there. The actor did not like living in Hawaii and wanted off the show, so they had to wrap him up. Too bad.

Honestly, the mystery I spend the most time thinking about? Who made that fucking compass? Unless I am forgetting something, the stream of time looks like this:

1954: Locke wanders out of the woods to meet with Richard, and hands him the compass, then disappears.
1962 or so: Richard tests young Locke with a Dalai Lama array, Locke gets it wrong or whatever and Richard leaves the compass with him.
2003: Locke crashes on the island with the compass he took on his outback journey.
2007.1: "Evil" Locke gives the compass to Richard, tells him to give it to the person who's hurt over there.
2007.2: Richard gives the compass to Locke, who disappears back to 1951.

Who made this fucking thing?

More
02 Feb 2010 11:13 #54578 by san il defanso
Evidently, the compass will figure into season six somehow.

Eko was killed because the actor's parents had recently passed away. That was why he wanted off the show. Too bad too, I really liked Eko.

More
02 Feb 2010 11:17 #54579 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re:The F:AT
SanIlDefanso wrote:

Evidently, the compass will figure into season six somehow.

Eko was killed because the actor's parents had recently passed away. That was why he wanted off the show. Too bad too, I really liked Eko.

Eko(Adebisi is right) was by far my favorite character, and one that I would have like to see fleshed out.

More
02 Feb 2010 11:23 - 02 Feb 2010 11:24 #54580 by caadamec
Replied by caadamec on topic Re:The F:AT "Lost" thread
I just finished reading WATCHMEN, a book that Damon Lindelof (producer of LOST) calls the greatest work of popular fiction ever.

I found it very interesting that Ozymandias uses a mysterious island populated with artists and scientists to stage his plans for world peace.

We cannot forget the biggest mystery of the island: who was Alvar Hanso and what is his connection to the Dharma Initiative??? Is he an Ozymandias-like figure? Remember he was an arms manufacturer who was funding the Dharma Initiative...
Last edit: 02 Feb 2010 11:24 by caadamec.

More
02 Feb 2010 11:28 #54581 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic Re:The F:AT
I'm looking forward to this season, big-time. I highly doubt that they'll wrap up more than 50-60% of everything to everyone's satisfaction, but whatever... It should be a fun ride, and I wouldn't necessarily want all questions answered when it all ends.

My wife and I were talking about Lost a while back and thought that Jacob and the other guy (who impersonated Locke) could be representing justice and mercy (Jacob), which might explain their conflict and the other guy's desire to kill Jacob. Anyway, I'm sure we'll learn more soon.

More
02 Feb 2010 11:53 #54584 by Bernie
Replied by Bernie on topic Re:The F:AT
Huge Lost fan here.

www.entil2001.com/series/lost/review.html

Is a site you folks may get some use of. A few other shows you may like have writeups as well, off the main page.

My big question for tonight is weather the nuke blows them back through time, would have to be some wierd interaction with the enery source in the ground / whatever they have that makes them time hop but not the others. That gets explained I hope.

More
02 Feb 2010 12:47 - 02 Feb 2010 12:58 #54594 by Bernie
Replied by Bernie on topic Re:The F:AT
Lame double post.
Last edit: 02 Feb 2010 12:58 by Bernie.

More
02 Feb 2010 13:43 #54599 by Octavian
Replied by Octavian on topic Re:The F:AT
I'm on Team Sayid.

More
02 Feb 2010 13:48 #54600 by san il defanso

I'm on Team Sayid.

I actually think a big part of this season will boil down to a major split between the characters, similar to what we saw in season 4, but with more at stake. In season 4, it was mostly a desire to survive. I think this season will have more ideology behind it. We have finally caught a glimpse of the two sides (Jacob and "Esau"), and I think characters (and fans) will begin to go one way or the other. Perhaps choosing between following the un-Locke or Alpert?

More
02 Feb 2010 15:41 #54613 by Columbob
Another thing that bothers me a little bit: it took everything for Jack and company to get on the right plane in order to get back to the island, in fact just to learn what plane would be the right one at the right time. How the heck did the rest of the passengers know what plane to take? They're far from clueless about the island from what we've seen.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds