October 09, 2023
2767 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2921 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Joss Whedon on Buffy reboot

More
23 Nov 2010 10:01 #80082 by Hatchling
Joss Whedon's reaction to the news of a Buffy reboot that is being made without his participation or consultation:

This is a sad, sad reflection on our times, when people must feed off the carcasses of beloved stories from their youths-just because they can't think of an original idea of their own, like I did with my Avengers idea that I made up myself.

Obviously I have strong, mixed emotions about something like this. My first reaction upon hearing who was writing it was, "Whit Stillman AND Wes Anderson? This is gonna be the most sardonically adorable movie EVER." Apparently I was misinformed. Then I thought, "I'll make a mint! This is worth more than all my Toy Story residuals combined!" Apparently I am seldom informed of anything. And possibly a little slow. But seriously, are vampires even popular any more?

I always hoped that Buffy would live on even after my death. But, you know, AFTER. I don't love the idea of my creation in other hands, but I'm also well aware that many more hands than mine went into making that show what it was. And there is no legal grounds for doing anything other than sighing audibly. I can't wish people who are passionate about my little myth ill. I can, however, take this time to announce that I'm making a Batman movie. Because there's a franchise that truly needs updating. So look for The Dark Knight Rises Way Earlier Than That Other One And Also More Cheaply And In Toronto, rebooting into a theater near you.

io9.com/5696762/joss-whedon-and-angel-re...the-new-buffy-reboot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2010 10:08 #80085 by Gary Sax
This is classic hollywood stuff, I laughed out loud when I read they were rebooting it without any of the IP from the show.

More
23 Nov 2010 10:10 #80086 by Shellhead
I was not the biggest fan of Buffy, but I did watch it and enjoy it from time to time. Whedon made some good points about this hasty and ill-conceived reboot, and he made them in such a diplomatic way as to not burn any bridges in the industry. He is one of my favorite creators working in any medium, and I feel fortunate that he works in several. Even if they got top talent for this Buffy reboot, I would actually have kind of the same problem that I have with Whedon's Buffy season 8 comic... the characters don't look like themselves anymore, so it's jarring to read them (or see them) using the same kind of dialogue in the same kinds of adventures.

More
23 Nov 2010 12:43 #80112 by moss_icon
i can't work out of this whedon comment is:

- sarcastic
- ironic
- serious
- flippant
- passive aggressive
- all of the above

what a weird couple of paragraphs.

More
23 Nov 2010 16:42 #80147 by Mr Skeletor
That waffel is an acurate summation of why I can't stand the cunt.

More
23 Nov 2010 21:52 #80181 by Josh Look
Joss is the man, and anyone who says otherwise can fuck off and die.

More
23 Nov 2010 22:09 #80182 by ThirstyMan
Pretentious twat

More
23 Nov 2010 22:43 #80183 by Mr Skeletor
Josh Look wrote:

Joss is the man, and anyone who says otherwise can fuck off and die.

Shouldn't your statement have more like, pointless irony in it and like stuff? You being a true believer and all. Or maybe not.
Joss Whedon, inventer of the modern hipster douchebag.

More
23 Nov 2010 23:08 #80184 by El Cuajinais
You know how you can out-think yourself?

This guy out-smart-ass-himself. Still, I rank him as THE best of the best in the TV/Movie industry simply because he created the best show to ever grace a TV or Cinema. Honestly, I do not understand how is it even possible for someone to not love Firefly. I've never seen any of his other work nor do I care to. His writing, superb as is, would not compel me to watch a different setting. I hope they re-boot Firefly behind his back as well. After all, George Lucas managed to fuck up the second Star Wars trilogy beyond recognition. Who's to say Joss wouldn't do the same? The setting, tone, and humor of Firefly have been set. Now we just need a decent writer and a truck load of money.

More
23 Nov 2010 23:41 #80187 by Mr Skeletor
Firefly was a pooer man's farscape. At best.

At least with Buffy the hype makes some level of sense. Firefly is raved about for episodes that were never even created.

More
24 Nov 2010 07:12 #80192 by Hatchling
I thought Whedon's comment was funny. He hates the idea of people redoing his pet project without his input, and he also hates the fact that he is totally powerless to change this fact. I don't know about you, but if I can't do something that I really want to do, or stop something that I really want to stop, I usually do my best to stop thinking about whatever it is. It's a waste of energy to bang your head against a wall. But what happens if, once you resign yourself to live with the problem, someone then comes along and asks you what you think about it? In that context it seems perfectly natural to me to have mixed and incompatible feelings: vent about the problem, but also, and to the same extent, confront the fact that the venting is futile and pointness. When those mixed and incompatible feelings are put together, it is also perfectly natural to make a joke about the whole thing. Isn't laughter an awesome way to deal with these annoyances? Anyway, that's what I thought about Whedon's comments.

Mr Skeletor wrote:

Joss Whedon, inventer of the modern hipster douchebag.

Huh. Interesting claim.

More
24 Nov 2010 09:43 #80199 by Shellhead
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Firefly was a pooer man's farscape. At best.

Bullshit. Farse-cape was a freakshow with muppets and people shouting out bad dialogue. Claudia Black was good for the occasional wank, but otherwise, there was nothing there. Firefly at least had witty dialogue, though couched in a peculiar future frontier phrasing.

More
24 Nov 2010 09:45 #80200 by Sagrilarus
Whedon makes good art. His run in Astonishing X-Men was excellent. Firefly was excellent as well though short-lived.

For all any of us know those quoted could have been pieced together from a 20 minute interview, or taken from him when he was on a rope line or anything else. Judging the guy from an off-the-cuff set of sentences is kind of unfair.

He writes the best dialogue on TV. Farscape's dialogue was flat. Stories were fine, but the characters really had no impact.

S.

More
24 Nov 2010 10:55 #80213 by Notahandle
Farscape was memorable. What was Firefly - a cowboys in space series that wasn't even good enough to run a whole season.

More
24 Nov 2010 12:18 #80238 by Sagrilarus
I tried to get into Farscape two or three times and just couldn't get hooked.

S.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds