October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Top 5 VideoGame Scores

More
26 Feb 2016 08:27 - 26 Feb 2016 08:50 #223350 by Mr. White
Not points...musik.
Spinning this off from the Earthbound discussion over in the video game thread.

No surprise, but mine are mainly from the 16bit era. Maybe because limited cartridge memory at the time meant loops, but likely because that's when I did most my video gaming.

5) Aliens - Dropship
Not sure what they were going for here, but I played this title _a_lot_ on the C64 and this bizarre cut always stuck out.

4) Super Mario World - theme
My son and I have played through this game about three times in recent years. Probably the best plat-former ever made, even if I personally like Castlevania III better. Still, I dig the jug band vibe of the tune and this will probably forever be the soundtrack when I think of my son's early childhood.

3) FZero - Big Blue
For the longest time I incorrectly thought this was the music to the first stage, and the main music of the game. Nerd alert! I hum/beat box the first 10-20 seconds of this if I need to pass someone on the road or make an offensive driving maneuver. Damn I want GX or _something_ on my Wii U.

2) Street Fighter II - Guile's Stage
Now we know this music goes with everything, but for a decade and half before that it was my fighting jam. As a huge SFII SNES/arcade player and Guile being my main man, this was it. I belt out the first few bars of this when I'm about to enter the room, attack/tickle the kids or whatever. They run for cover when I do it because they know I'm on. Here's some dude killing it acapella style.

1) Shadowrun - Morgue
The classic. This is still a track I listen to on a regular basis at work. The inclusion of the traditional flute is an inspired nod to the Native American influence on the electronic cyberpunk setting. Very atmospheric. Maybe the best thing that's ever come from the Shadowrun line?
Last edit: 26 Feb 2016 08:50 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2016 09:31 #223353 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Top 5 VideoGame Scores
My favorite three not mentioned, all from the NES.

Legend of Zelda - Every piece of music is great here. We got our NES second hand from uncle, along with all the games he had for it. Zelda wasn't amongst the titles he said he was giving us, but when we got it home and lifted the door on the NES, there it was, this gold cartridge. That music when you fire the game up was so mysterious, appropriate since we had no idea what the hell that game was. The overworked song was so infectious to me as a kid, the dungeon theme so menacing. Love, love, love that game and the score.

Castlevania 1 - Another game with great music top to bottom. "Vampire Killer," the first level song is the clear star, but I love it all. I don't really go for the whole power metal video game music thing nor the chiptune scene, but there's a band called Minibosses that manages to avoid both of those descriptions, totally adore them. They have a killer rendition of the Castlevania score. Their first album is free on their website, check it out.

Mega Man 2 - Especially Dr. Wily's theme, but really, everything in this game is awesome. Another game that Minibosses covered, making this 10 minute epic, perfectly sequenced (despite not playing the themes in the order you'd play the game in).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
26 Feb 2016 10:31 - 26 Feb 2016 10:36 #223360 by SebastianBludd
Mega Man 2 vs. Mega Man 3 is close but I think MM3 edges out MM2. MM2 is a little top heavy and once you get past Wily 1, Metal Man and Flash Man the songs are mediocre to very good. MM3 has Top Man, Snake Man, Magnet Man, and its worst song would be middle-of-the-pack among the MM2 songs. But that's just nitpicking as both are classic soundtracks and they're so close in quality that it just comes down to preference.

Duck Tales - also by Capcom - also had great music on the NES. My favorite was the Moon stage theme and Transylvania and the Mines were also very good.

Minibosses are great and I love their Contra medley. The first Contra's music was made for a heavy metal interpretation and the electric guitars really bring it to life. Their version of the Stage 3 - Waterfalls theme is a revelatioin.

On PC I've always liked the System Shock 1 soundtrack, particularly the cyberspace and Reactor Level themes. Other standouts are Research Level and Executive Level. All of the SS1 music perfectly embodies that 90's cyberpunk vibe.

Last edit: 26 Feb 2016 10:36 by SebastianBludd.

More
26 Feb 2016 10:34 #223361 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Top 5 VideoGame Scores
Gotta find room for ACTRAISER guys.

Sounds dated now, but only because every jRPG made after blatantly copied it.

More
26 Feb 2016 13:59 #223369 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Top 5 VideoGame Scores
These are just samples, the whole soundtrack to these games is great.
1. Hotline Miami 2

2. Hotline Miami

3. Shatter

4. Duke Nukem 3D

5. Doom

More
26 Feb 2016 14:26 #223370 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic Top 5 VideoGame Scores
I don't know how you can even start without mentioning FF VII

3. That Shadowrun track makes my top 5 for sure

4. Duh :

5. LOTRO - the shire - I played this for hours and hours with my headphones on- The game felt like Middle Earth -

Honorable mention :

The LOTRO had a system wear you could become proficient in a musical instrument - if you took the time to to notate out a midi file (or copypasta one that someone had taken the time to do) you could play some fun tunes - there were groups on every server that spent a lot of time syncing up 2,3,4 + harmonies and parts - They were in every hub jamming in the taverns or on the village square. I played the final fantasy flair every time we one a raid battle with my bard.

More
26 Feb 2016 14:40 #223372 by rocketkiwi
Replied by rocketkiwi on topic Top 5 VideoGame Scores
You're on point with Kinetic Harvest. Sets the tone for that game so well right out of the gate.

5. FFVII - Still More Fighting (PC)

This is the way I heard it when I played it, which was on the PC. Remember that stupid box? Ah, memories.

4. TMNT for NES

Just listen to those drums! The synth line is pretty good too.

3. Bionic Commando Rearmed - Heatwave

The best compliment I can give to a remix of classic music is that it sounds like I thought it sounded like back then.

2. One Must Fall 2097 - Menu

I played a lot of shareware games in my youth, and this has stuck with me over the years. Really got me ready for robot fighting.

1. Journey to Silius - Everything

Sunsoft had NES music DOWN. I hated playing this game, but I loved the music and it kept me going.

More
26 Feb 2016 15:05 #223375 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Top 5 VideoGame Scores
There was a really crappy action RPG for the NES which had really beautiful score at the beginning (menu screen). I'd have to put it on in the basement pretty loud to make it sound like I was playing a video game while I was getting busy with my first serious g/f. I should try and find that score to see if it has any effect on me

More
26 Feb 2016 16:11 #223376 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Top 5 VideoGame Scores
Man, I haven't played enough video games in the past few years to even get my head into the right spot for this, but those tunes that to jump to mind are:

Mega Man 2: Crash Man

I think my favorite Zelda theme might be form Link's Awakening

Mass Effect has a great soudtrack
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
26 Feb 2016 16:15 #223377 by Michael Barnes
I though we were going to compare Asteroids scores here...

OMG that Aliens thing...what a throwback. I loved that game, and that stupid song has stuck with me for decades. WTF is the point of that, it's like some kind of surf/rockabilly thing. But hey, it was still back during the "anything goes" era.

You know what's weird, I can't really remember the music from ANY non-Nintendo game made in the past....10 or 15 years. Apart from licensed songs, like Hotline Miami, of course. Video game music just isn't as memorable anymore. Probably because now it's mostly just real music, usually, not weird-ass synth rock with erratic funk bass and squelching "guitars".

Why has Metroid not been mentioned? The music in those games is incredible. I would say that Metroid and Castlevania have the best music out of all games ever. Man, when "Vampire Killer" kicks in...it's just like "hell yeah". I think I could probably hum the entire Symphony of Night soundtrack if I wanted to right now.

Sega arcade games had awesome music too, they were the pinnacle of the weird-ass synth rock with erratic funk bass and squelching "guitars" thing.

JRPG music is usually neither here nor there for me, but Chrono Trigger had some great tracks.

My kids have ruined the Super Mario Bros. theme by watching that damn show. Now I just associate it with "do the Mario!" But still, lots of great, colorful music in those game.

Zelda, also great across the board.

More
26 Feb 2016 16:57 - 26 Feb 2016 17:02 #223380 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Top 5 VideoGame Scores
I think most of my favorites are from the PSX era when I re-discovered video games, namely JRPGs, but I'll try not to just list all of the Final Fantasy OSTs and call it a day.

As already mentioned, Final Fantasy VII score is amazing. It's a tossup between this and VI, for me.

Chrono Cross soundtrack is wonderful. When the overworld theme first came on, I was transfixed for a few cycles, just listening to it (that one comes on at 18:00 in the video, but the intro track is amazing too).

Rez, back when I played it on Dreamcast blew my mind. It's unfortunate that the OST doesn't actually use the in-game mix, or even composition in parts. Favorite track on it is, of course, the final stage "Fear":

Moving into more current gen territory, the Mass Effect entry made me remember how much I enjoyed the Deus Ex: Human Revolution soundtrack. Highlight for me is the main menu track:

And finally the Bastion soundtrack. This one reminded me of elements of the early Suikoden soundtracks with some Firefly thrown in.

Last edit: 26 Feb 2016 17:02 by Frohike.

More
26 Feb 2016 17:36 #223382 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Top 5 VideoGame Scores
Mass Effect is the only game I've ever sat on the menu screen just to hear the music, repeatedly. There's a gorgeous rendering of Liara too if you wait

More
26 Feb 2016 17:38 #223383 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Top 5 VideoGame Scores
rocketkiwi beat me to TMNT and Journey to Silius.

I played a lot of Chrono Trigger and always loved the soundtrack.

This always sticks with me though:

More
26 Feb 2016 17:40 #223384 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Top 5 VideoGame Scores
Can't really count the Hotline Miami games--that music was not written for the game. The OST's are awesome, no doubt, but but because it's awesome music in general. FEZ has a great OST, and there are aspects of it actually embedded in the gameplay itself--i.e., the music changes as you advance through the level. Some amazing stuff there--I listen to that about once a month.

Never in a game as I am aware, but this is one of my favorite chiptunes: Failotron's "Tristan" I walked 11.5 miles on a cancer walk-o-thon to this.

More
27 Feb 2016 01:02 #223413 by The King in Yellow
Going to put on my old man pants for these.

1. Ultima IV

2. M.U.L.E.

3. Archon

4. Ultima V

5. Alien

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds