October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Let's Talk...The Smiths

More
05 Jul 2016 09:46 #229694 by Mr. White
For the sake of a little conversation this morning.

As much as I claim Thin Lizzy or the Ramones as my favorite band, I must admit I listen to The Smiths far more. Their albums seemingly never get old and I never skip a track. Marr is clearly one of the greatest guitarists of all time and as much of a twat Morrissey can be...ya gotta love him. He definitely adds spice to the pop culture landscape.

So love them or hate them....what's your take? The most important band to emerge from the 80s? Worst band of all time? Still relevant? (Can any band be relevant 30 years later?)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2016 09:50 #229696 by hotseatgames
I love them, and am always amazed when I talk to someone who has no idea who they are. My top 5 tracks:

1. This Charming Man
2. How Soon Is Now?
3. Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before
4. Half a Person
5. Girlfriend in a Coma

More
05 Jul 2016 09:56 #229698 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let's Talk...The Smiths

Mr. White wrote: For the sake of a little conversation this morning.

As much as I claim Thin Lizzy or the Ramones as my favorite band, I must admit I listen to The Smiths far more. Their albums seemingly never get old and I never skip a track. Marr is clearly one of the greatest guitarists of all time and as much of a twat Morrissey can be...ya gotta love him. He definitely adds spice to the pop culture landscape.

So love them or hate them....what's your take? The most important band to emerge from the 80s? Worst band of all time? Still relevant? (Can any band be relevant 30 years later?)

They are a _great_ band. I listened to them over and over and over again in high school and early college. Marr is a genius, Morrissey is an outstanding frontman.

That said, as a conversation starter... I don't listen to them any more all that much because I don't really relate? I don't feel terribly alienated anymore. In particular, I'm not confused about who I am. As a result, the intentionally false pretense of the whole thing, the intense emotions... I'm not like that any more. I don't think it necessarily says something good about me but I know I am much happier these days.

More
05 Jul 2016 09:58 #229699 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Let's Talk...The Smiths
The Smiths had a short but astonishing run in the '80s, putting out four albums in the middle of that decade. At the time, I have to admit that I sometimes confused them with The Cure, because of Robert Smith's name. I think that a band remains relevant when modern bands continue to cover their songs. Death Cab for Cutie did a decent cover of This Charming Man, and Low did a fine version of Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me, which are two of my favorite songs by the Smiths.

More
05 Jul 2016 10:07 - 05 Jul 2016 10:12 #229700 by Michael Barnes
1. Bigmouth Strikes Again
2. Shoplifters of the World Unite
3. This Charming Man
4. There is a Light That Never Goes Out
5. Panic

One of the great bands no doubt. The right concept, the right people, the right time.

I think their themes and lyrics are timeless. I can always connect back to that Smiths "mentality" and that sort of aura of monumentally mythic teenage-dom they projected.

They don't make bands like this anymore and never will again.

"How Soon is Now" is too long. I always wished there was a single edit of it that took just a minute off it.

I love Morrissey, I love how outspoken and antagonizing he is. I really want that shirt he was selling on one of the last tours- "Be Kind to Animals or I'll Kill You". When I saw him at Radio City Music Hall in 2004, he left in an unexplained tiff during an encore of "There is a Light"...which for me was just perfect.
Last edit: 05 Jul 2016 10:12 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 Jul 2016 10:29 - 05 Jul 2016 10:39 #229702 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Let's Talk...The Smiths
Really interesting point, Gary Sax. In a few days I was gonna do a 'Let's Talk...The Clash', but I'll say a little now.

I think the way you feel about The Smiths, I feel about The Clash. Fantastic band that I immersed myself in back in my teenage and college years. Now, I'm not filled with as much spit and vigor. Maybe I've become a bit jaded, but I'm not sure we can really change the world as much as we thought (that comment the other day about 'no revolution with TVs in houses' was on point. even worse now with smart phones.). So, I can still enjoy The Clash, but I don't connect as much as I once did.

The Smiths, on the other hand, with their personal and introspective themes...that I can still relate to.
Last edit: 05 Jul 2016 10:39 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 Jul 2016 10:41 #229703 by Hadik
Replied by Hadik on topic Let's Talk...The Smiths
Strangeways is in my top five albums of all time. It's still very listenable - much more so than music from bands I was really into back then. Just because it's so good. Those other bands (World Party, Housemartins, Guadalcanal Diary) can quickly put me into a right old brooding college junior funk.

More
05 Jul 2016 10:51 #229706 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Let's Talk...The Smiths
My top five list for The Smiths:

1. This Charming Man
2. I Started Something I Couldn't Finish
3. Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
4. Panic
5. How Soon is Now?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds