October 09, 2023
2443 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2643 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

F:ATtie Favorite Fives - Records

More
15 Apr 2015 14:50 #200821 by Manolito
Wall of Voodoo : Call of the West
Depeche Mode : Music for the Masses
David Bowie : The rise and fall of ziggy stardust and the spiders from Mars
Kraftwerk : Radioactivity
Death in June : Nada !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2015 20:58 - 15 Apr 2015 21:03 #200837 by jay718
This is more of a desert island kind of list, because picking five favorite records is nigh on impossible.

- Love : Forever Changes
I think this is the best album of all time. I just don't know what else to say.

- Van Morrison : Astral Weeks
I can't think of anything to say that Lester Bangs hasn't already. This record is a masterpiece.

- The Beatles : White Album
I often fantasize about what it must have been like to bring this home and hear these songs for the very first time, not having been familiar with them for the entirety of my life.

- The Clash : London Calling
'Nuff said.

- Stevie Wonder : Songs in the Key of Life
This past Sunday I was lucky enough to see Stevie perform this album in its entirety at the Barclays center in Brooklyn. It was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. It's obviously the album that means the most to him out of a truly incredible body of work and is completely timeless.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2015 21:03 by jay718.

More
19 Apr 2015 21:37 #201069 by KingPut
Josh Look 1st posted the 5 favorite albums 4 years ago and it's been torturing me ever since. Picking my top 5 albums is like asking me to pick one of my daughters to sacrifice. So I'm ready to pull off the bandaid. In an age where I can Spotify or I tune anything I'm partial to albums that tell a story or have one central theme.

1. Beethovan's 9th. The greatest piece of music the mankind will ever produce. This is why my avatar was from the Clockwork Orange for so long. I'm not way to particular about the orchestra as long as they do butcher the piece.

2. Clash. London Calling. The most amazing album of the 20th century. I've played this album and Cd countless times.

3. Beatles. Sgt.Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band. This album is 48 years old which completely blows my mind. I was just at then Pittsburgh Science Center and saw the Beatles Lasar planetarium show and it was still mind blowing amazing after all these years. I felt like cheating if I selected the double White Album.

It may take me another 4 years to make my last 2 picks. In the running VU and Nico, Led Zeppelin IV, Ziggy Stardust, Tommy, Beggers Banquet, Bob Marley.

More
20 Apr 2015 08:04 #201072 by ChristopherMD
I must be getting old or just not like many newer bands because I think most of my favorite albums at this point are Greatest Hits collections.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
01 Jun 2016 20:25 - 01 Jun 2016 20:39 #228490 by boothwah
1. Joshua Tree - U2
2. Bandwagonesque - Teenage Fanclub
3. Doolittle - Pixies
4. Fly Like an Eagle - Steve Miller Band
5. Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins

Honorable mention - Glass Houses - Billy Joel

EDIT - I never read this thread and then went back in the way back machine to read the first few pages - FFS Doolittle made like every third list. So does that mean we are all cool or equally uncool?
Last edit: 01 Jun 2016 20:39 by boothwah.

More
01 Jun 2016 20:29 #228491 by boothwah

Shellhead wrote: I have played the first three albums on this list so many times that I had to replace them due to wear and tear:

1. Puzzle, by dada - Amazing first album by a band that never quite received the popularity that they deserved. Three guys, generating a lot of sound, plus they could all sing well. The music was rock, veering between indie, pop, and blues influences. Eleven good songs plus one clunker that was slow and dreary. One song, Dizz Knee Land, enjoyed a second run of minor popularity due to the line "I just flipped off President George." A lot of their music has a certain quality to it that suggests small town guys who moved to California as soon as possible, seeking a California Dream.

I have a backup copy of my backup copy - This album is so good - They were almost jazzily unaware - Saw them live - The studio didn't really slick them up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
01 Jun 2016 21:24 #228494 by Michael Barnes
Ha, I saw Teenage Fanclub on the Bandwagonesque tour...venue full of nerdy dudes with shaggy hair and flannel shirts...that was back when 120 Minutes was a major source for new music. There were some good ones on that record, "The Concept", "What You Do to Me", "Metal Baby"...they just never quite hit because, well, Nirvana.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
01 Jun 2016 22:28 #228497 by Shellhead

The King in Yellow wrote: I just get tired of hipsters (and I'm not referring to anyone on these boards) proclaiming that a "real" Pink Floyd fan's favorite albums are Wish You Were Here and The Final Cut (The Final Cut, for God's sake).

When I saw Pink Floyd in '87, they played four songs from Wish You Were Here, even though they were touring behind a newer album. I think it's obvious that Pink Floyd (except for Roger and Syd) think that Wish You Were Here was their best album.

More
02 Jun 2016 00:55 #228505 by boothwah

Michael Barnes wrote: Ha, I saw Teenage Fanclub on the Bandwagonesque tour...venue full of nerdy dudes with shaggy hair and flannel shirts...that was back when 120 Minutes was a major source for new music. There were some good ones on that record, "The Concept", "What You Do to Me", "Metal Baby"...they just never quite hit because, well, Nirvana.

Super cool. It's my perfect pop record. I think I pick "There She Goes" by The La's as being the most pristine and perfect singular pop track. Bandwagonesque as a collective whole for album.

Hey you're from GA right? Did you ever see Uncle Green back in the day? I wore out three cassettes of Book of Bad Thoughts over the years. I would have loved to have seen them.

More
02 Jun 2016 11:51 #228513 by Columbob
I saw Teenage Fanclub open for Radiohead in 97. Fuck were they ever boring to watch, NONE of the songs rocked or anything. Lots of people just sat down on the floor, including myself.

More
03 Jun 2016 00:43 #228547 by blatz

Shellhead wrote:

The King in Yellow wrote: I just get tired of hipsters (and I'm not referring to anyone on these boards) proclaiming that a "real" Pink Floyd fan's favorite albums are Wish You Were Here and The Final Cut (The Final Cut, for God's sake).

When I saw Pink Floyd in '87, they played four songs from Wish You Were Here, even though they were touring behind a newer album. I think it's obvious that Pink Floyd (except for Roger and Syd) think that Wish You Were Here was their best album.

Nice. I saw them on the Division Bell tour. Good stuff and yes, they played quite a bit of Wish You Were Here. I always liked Animals the best. The Final Cut? That one always sounded like an album full of rejects from The Wall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
03 Jun 2016 00:54 #228548 by blatz
1) Rolling Stones: "Exile on Main Street"
2) The Replacements: "Tim"
3) Guns N Roses: "Appetite For Destruction"
4) Bob Dylan: "Blood on the Tracks"
5) Stevie Wonder: "Songs in the Key of Life"

Nothing too out of the ordinary here but these are some of the albums that either turned me on to music in the first place or helped define my tastes later on. My list probably changes every day but this is what it would be right here and now.

More
03 Jun 2016 09:51 #228557 by R.P.Kraul
Kansas: Song for America

The Mars Volta: Frances the Mute

Dream Theater: The Astonishing

Savatage: Poets and Madmen

Opeth: Blackwater Park

More
03 Jun 2016 11:41 #228563 by Columbob
Wow, Astonishing, really? Can't say it's my favourite DT, while a couple of friends actually despise it. A bit too many slow ballads. It will be a contest between this and Falling into Infinity for which one gets the fewest spins.

More
03 Jun 2016 12:33 #228566 by R.P.Kraul
I love it. They're showing more discipline in doing more with shorter songs. Sometime around Black Clouds, their long progressive songs became old hat (and Portnoy's attempt at death metal vocals made the record worse yet). But I understand that The Astonishing is a polarizing record. It took me four complete listens to get. Seeing it performed live was astonishing. Everyone in my group was blown away, and none of them except me are DT fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds