October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

I need a streaming box

More
19 Dec 2016 20:16 #240992 by Disgustipater
I currently have a 2nd Gen AppleTV that is jailbroken. Because I haven't been able to update it in several years, it is getting long in the tooth, and has lost some features.

I am looking to get a new streaming box, but the main thing I need it to do is stream video files from my PC (hence the jailbreak on the AppleTV) in various formats. From what I understand, none of the other major boxes (Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast) have this functionality.

I suppose I could get one of the new AppleTVs and set up a PLEX server, but that seems like a lot of extra steps for what I want. Right now, I can just put a file in my video folder, and I can watch it on my TV instantly. I admit I don't know a lot about how PLEX works, but I don't believe it is that simple.

Does anyone know of some product that can do what I want?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2016 21:18 - 19 Dec 2016 21:19 #240995 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic I need a streaming box
Chromecast will stream anything in a browser tab.

This might prove helpful: chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/videos...pnocolokfelagl?hl=en

As far as I can tell, Plex lets you throw something in a folder and just watch it. I have been too lazy to set it up. My son is getting a Chromecast for Christmas so we can use our PC to view content, although lately he has been binging Star TreK: The Next Generation on Netflix.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2016 21:19 by Cranberries.

More
19 Dec 2016 21:39 #240999 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic I need a streaming box
Chromecast with the app called VideoStream will do exactly what you want.

More
19 Dec 2016 21:39 #241000 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic I need a streaming box
As long as Plex supports the formats you've got it's worth the price. Pretty straightforward to set up, works on PC, Fire TV, and via Android+Chromecast. Probably other stuff too but that's what I've used it on and no complaints.

BUT! I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for. I have it running on my home server, not an actual PC that people use. It isn't drag-and-drop easy to set up, but it isn't particularly complex if you follow the instructions. It just has this server-client thing going on that some people aren't on board with.

We've had Roku, Chromecast, and Fire TV Stick here. Fire TV would probably get the nod if it supported Chromecast, but as it is we're currently running both. Voice search on Fire TV with voice remote is decent. You can't search for "Futurama Season 3 Episode 2", but you can search for just "Futurama" and it will give you streaming options. Fire TV DOES support a type of mirroring -- I believe it's Miracast -- that might be worth looking into.

More
19 Dec 2016 22:16 - 19 Dec 2016 22:32 #241001 by Disgustipater
Setting up Plex isn't a problem, it's the everyday use. I thought I had to add the new file to the Plex library every time I added something new, in addition to putting it in the OS folder I want it in. Although the bonus of Plex is we can watch stuff on our iPads when out of the house.

I'm guessing mirroring from an iPad is only possible on an AppleTV? It'd be nice to have, but we haven't been able to use it for a few years so obviously we aren't missing it too much.

hotseatgames wrote: Chromecast with the app called VideoStream will do exactly what you want.

Looks promising. Do I need to install Chrome on my PC to use it? I honestly don't even know what Chromecast is. What's this talk of browser windows? I don't need no browser windows on my TeeVee.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2016 22:32 by Disgustipater.

More
20 Dec 2016 09:02 #241020 by hotseatgames
Chromecast is the Google streaming device similar to a fire stick. Install Chrome on your PC. Load VideoStream into Chrome. Install VideoStream app on phone. Drag movie into VideoStream on PC. Control via phone. Watch on tv via eyes.

More
20 Dec 2016 09:56 - 20 Dec 2016 11:01 #241031 by Disgustipater
Hmm, it appears that Chromecast does not have an interface that I can control with the TV's remote. So not only is there not a way to select what to watch from the remote, but I can't switch to Netflix and navigate that using a remote either? I'm sure it sounds stupid that I don't want to use my phone, but that isn't going to work for us. Now I need to see if Plex supports that functionality.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2016 11:01 by Disgustipater.

More
20 Dec 2016 10:36 #241038 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic I need a streaming box
With the Chromecast, you do all the navigating via your phone. So you'd start up the Netflix app on the phone, find the thing you want to watch, then hit the Cast button and send it to the TV. Same with music players, youtube, etc. It's pretty good most of the time. The exception is that the Netflix app doesn't have a fast forward button, so skipping through a show's title sequence is way harder, since you have to try and drag on the timeline bar.

I've got no input on the Plex thing. Also, the Chromecast doesn't really do Amazon instant video.

More
20 Dec 2016 11:36 #241045 by hotseatgames
I was only proposing the Chromecast as a solution for playing videos located on a PC. I use an Xbox One or a smart TV for anything else.

More
20 Dec 2016 11:57 - 20 Dec 2016 16:19 #241047 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic I need a streaming box
I use Plex + Roku + a Raspberry Pi 3 + an external drive Using the Pi is mostly for laughs/proof of concept. The Roku streams from this setup okay. Yes, it's a bit of a PITA to do Handbrake and upload, but it does let you watch it on every tv in the house that has a Roku, or on your mobile device. Google will be your research friend until you get the hang of Plex, but I'd recommend it.

ETA: You could definitely do better with an older PC running either Windows or some flavor of Linux. The Raspberry Pi 3 works okay for 720p (DVD quality), but sometimes stumbles over 1080p. Again, it just tickles me that it works at all with no fans, etc.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2016 16:19 by RobertB.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds