October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

New Members Introduce Yourself

More
14 Sep 2021 21:37 #326517 by CapAp
Dune: Imperium is my favorite game of the last year (ish), I've also really enjoyed Beyond the Sun. A lot of new stuff is feeling repetitive to me but there are the occasional breakthrough experiences. Perenially I will play just about anything by Phil Walker-Harding or Stefan Feld!

I've been a lot more active in RPGs lately, having been introduced to the "indie" scene in the last few years. RPGG is really the only part of the site I will miss! :( Hopefully there's some discussion on that front here too?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2021 21:45 #326518 by ubarose
We have a section for RPG reviews, and an RPG forum. It was pretty active this past year. Cooled off a bit this summer once people started being able to play board games f2f.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CapAp

More
31 Oct 2022 11:26 #336505 by Toha
Replied by Toha on topic New Members Introduce Yourself
Hi all!

I'm Toha and, unsuprisignly, I'm into board games. Once upon a time(several days ago) I was surfing the internet and found this website, which looks like a nice community of like-minded people to me, so I'm happy to join you here:) I'm a constantly happy guy, who really loves orange color, travelling(especially hitchhiking), mathematics, weird things, and coffee. Well, that's apart of board games, of course.

My favourite games are abstract strategies like Azul, Dvonn, Katarenga, Homeworlds, and right now Codex Naturalis. I'm also really into Jungle Speed. Ny friends tell others stories about me taking people into forest and making them play JS with me till they manage to win. I will neither confirm nor deny this...

Right now I'm technically homeless. I'm originally from Ukraine, so for obvious reasons I don't really want to go back there. For the last for years I've been living in Slovakia, but recently my rent term ended, so I decided to just wonder around Europe and stay with my friends and relatives for some time. At the moment I'm in Frankfurt, Germany(by any chance someone is also here and want to play games?), living with my girlfriends.

I'm working on a game-like thing, which is a special set of cards, which allows to 'port' other board games in it and play them. So it's great for travelling when you can't take many games with you, for testing games before buying them, and for prototyping and playtesting your own games. It's quire nerdy and mathish, but it works and I'm proud of it. Will be happy to tell more if someone is interested in this.

Anyway, happy to meet you all, let's rock!

Toha

More
31 Oct 2022 15:54 #336518 by dysjunct
Welcome!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Toha

More
01 Nov 2022 06:40 - 01 Nov 2022 06:40 #336530 by Legomancer

Toha wrote: who really loves orange color

the future belongs to the orange brigade!
Last edit: 01 Nov 2022 06:40 by Legomancer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e, Toha

More
01 Nov 2022 19:32 #336541 by n815e
I will fight to play orange!

More
02 Nov 2022 16:09 #336574 by mc
Replied by mc on topic New Members Introduce Yourself
Welcome Toha- do you have any more info on your card system?

More
03 Nov 2022 10:27 #336598 by Toha
Then you better hope we will not play games where we have to choose a color... ;)

More
03 Nov 2022 10:37 #336599 by Toha
Glad you asked:) The whole thing is quite nerdy, and when described in text sounds overcomplicated, but trust me, it is playable indeed.

The main idea is that in many in many games, you can identify every piece by a category to which it belongs. So, if we have a set of generic 'elements', and we can divide these elements in as many categories as we need and later be able to tell, in which category a given element belong, we can recreate all the elements of a game.

The thing I'm making is a set of cards with numbers {0, 1, 2, ...} on them and some additional info that lets you divide the these cards in N categories and then quickly see, to which of them every card belongs(this info is mainly remainders after division the card's number by N)

Simple Example: Azul

There are 6 types of elements(without the board, bag, etc): usual tiles of 5 colors and the token of the first player. So if we can take first 100 cards and look at the cell that shows its remainder after division by 5. It will be some number of {0,1,2,3,4}. These numbers represent colors(doesn't matter which color which number, it's only important that different colors are different numbers). We also can take one special card(some cards don't have numbers and only some random drawings on them) to be the token. Print or draw the board on paper and you can play Azul.

I have a very detailed guide with more examples on the website I made for that.
modulo.probytar.com/home
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
10 Nov 2022 14:10 #336746 by BloodyJack
Hello again all! Its been a long time. I was a fairly regular user (mostly a lurker while at work) of the old forum back in 2009-10. Heady days they were (my fav moment was needling Vasel with a Venn diagram regarding rat's and rat's asses).

Anyway I just discovered the new digs. Nice place but I def miss the old color scheme. Fun seeing a lot of the old names, and I hope to contribute a bit more regularly than the two posts in the last 10 years :)

OK, I am off to see if I can figure out this newfangled deal you got going on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Dr. Mabuse, ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, san il defanso, SuperflyPete, sornars, Nodens, n815e

More
10 Nov 2022 14:40 #336748 by Dr. Mabuse
Welcome back!
The following user(s) said Thank You: BloodyJack

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds