October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

X-Wing Wave 7 Review

More
08 Oct 2015 12:27 #212163 by Green Lantern
Replied by Green Lantern on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
I hope you guys aren't the same crew that bitched about Amazon's questionable business ethics, 'cause damn, bootlegging a game ain't much better.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2015 14:01 #212167 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
What were Amazon's business ethics related to this?

As far as proxying, I know it doesn't make a difference, but having played MtG for so long there is something inside me that won't let me proxy pieces for a game.

More
08 Oct 2015 17:09 #212181 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review

Green Lantern wrote: I hope you guys aren't the same crew that bitched about Amazon's questionable business ethics, 'cause damn, bootlegging a game ain't much better.

I'm not sure what your definition of bootlegging is, but mine doesn't stretch to people who've already spent hundreds of dollars on a system using a few home brew components to make sure they get ongoing replay value.

More
09 Oct 2015 10:01 #212219 by Green Lantern

Space Ghost wrote: What were Amazon's business ethics related to this?

Simple. There was heartburn expressed here on the forum about Amazon's treatment of employees, right? I could be mistaken but I don't think the design team and folks at FFG are gonna benefit much from gamers stealing their shit off the interwebs.

More
09 Oct 2015 10:13 #212220 by Green Lantern

MattDP wrote:

Green Lantern wrote: I hope you guys aren't the same crew that bitched about Amazon's questionable business ethics, 'cause damn, bootlegging a game ain't much better.

I'm not sure what your definition of bootlegging is, but mine doesn't stretch to people who've already spent hundreds of dollars on a system using a few home brew components to make sure they get ongoing replay value.

I may be speaking out-of-turn I realize that, but unless FFG has gone to a license based or season pass model and offer this content digitally, my bet is they would disagree with you.

More
09 Oct 2015 10:51 #212223 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
They allow the Vassal module to exist. Seems more egregious than a few proxies.

More
10 Oct 2015 07:25 #212264 by Green Lantern
Excellent point, Disgustipater. I didn't know about VASSAL and FFG allowing their content to exist there. My point still stands, however. Using proxies or playing X-Wing via VASSAL to save a few bucks is not going to help their bottom line or keep staff employed. That's my take on it in a nutshell. And don't get me wrong, I'm all for saving money and cutting corners just like you guys. Where I differ is condemning Amazon for using the exact same tactic. For those that have no compunction about cheating FFG out of hard earned ROI, it rings hollow when you come to FAT and bloviate about Amazon's treatment of their work force.

More
10 Oct 2015 15:48 #212271 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review

I may be speaking out-of-turn I realize that, but unless FFG has gone to a license based or season pass model and offer this content digitally, my bet is they would disagree with you.

They might, but that wasn't really my point. You were drawing a direct comparison between die-hard fans who'd already invested a lot proxying a few cards and a multi-national corporation making the lives of their employees an utter misery to save a few bucks. I was saying that it's not really a valid comparison.

More
10 Oct 2015 22:59 - 10 Oct 2015 23:04 #212276 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
FFG knows better than most that if you price a product too high you'll get gray-market copies. If there is a single card in a kit that works with models from another kit you're going to get knock-offs. I don't know if that's the case -- I can't keep the X-Wing stuff straight. A lot of combinations. But that's what's going to happen with people that only want the card. Not FFG's best decision.

Wait 'til the 3D Printers get cheap.

S.
Last edit: 10 Oct 2015 23:04 by Sagrilarus.

More
11 Oct 2015 00:53 #212281 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
Yeah, there are some TIE Advanced cards that pretty dramatically help that ship that was left behind basically from launch.

FFG also knows that add a trait to their product that can't be copied, proxied or printed and it provides protection for their product. That's why the tourney scene is strong. That's why those patch-type cards exist - Adding a card or two brings something already developed and out in the wilds back into viability and keeps the meta dynamic and moving while keeping or making Day 1 stuff relevant in the current game scene. There will always be the person that will look for ways to skip paying when they can, but as long as there's thousands of players taking part in tourneys where showing up with a print out will prevent you from getting near a table FFG will not be worried about a few people printing off components or playing only on their computer with a squad builder and VASSAL.

I do suspect that was we see 3D printers become cheaper and desktop publishing more and more a possibility with more professional looking results we'll see an increase in organized play and tournaments.

More
12 Oct 2015 10:51 #212318 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
I have not picked up anything from wave 7. I plan to get the Punisher at some point and think the Hounds Tooth is cool looking so its on my wish list. Wave 8 might be the first Wave I totally ignore. I have zero interest in the new core and look forward to blowing up rebel stuff, but don't need it for my imperial navy. I am interested in the new epic ship (with the docked ties) I love playing epic.

I think that X-wing has enough stuff out that you can just pick and choose what you want according to the list you want to play. There is so much stuff that I can't imagine anyone is bored and needs the new ships. My current list that I am taking to World's is a defender, a phantom and 2 TIES (Braxler with ruthlessness and proton rockets, sigma with fleet officer, backstabber, and academy pilot). I am finally getting around to trying out wave 4 stuff! The list has done well, although I have not flown them against TLT y-wings yet.

You don't need everything to be competitive even in tournaments.

Anyone see that FFG is providing c3po as a participation prize in the next store level tournies.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.295 seconds