October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Bolt Thrower: Conflict of Heroes, Stellaris, Total Warhammer, Silver Tower, Van Helsing

More
20 Jun 2016 11:28 #229151 by Matt Thrower

So, here we are again for another volley. This time it's to talk about something I've wanted to do for a long time which is to review Conflict of Heroes on Shut Up & Sit Down. For all its shortcomings as a simulation, CoH is one of my all-time favourite wargames. I love its speed and its combination of mechanical and tactical conundrums. I also love the fact that it has tanks.

After submitting my last two SU&SD pieces I ended up getting excited about something I'd never talk about in public. No, not that: photography. I've always had zero interest in gaming photography, beyond the obvious taking aesthetic pleasure in seeing a nice picture. Truth be told my eye for visual detail is poor, so my own photography tends to be poor. I never took much care in setting up shots for any of my pieces.

Turns out, however, that it's astonishing what you can do with a little bit of prep, a bit of digging into your camera settings, and some image manipulation software. I still know almost nothing about photography, so whether this newfound passion will burn out as quickly as it flared up remains to be seen. But I might share some results sometime.

On the PC recently I've mostly been putting in the review hours for Stellarisand Total War: Warhammer. The former is good, the latter is great, but the most interesting thing about playing the two back to back is how it made me consider the vexed question of complexity in strategy video games.

Now that computers and programmers and game designers have had years to hone their skills, it's common for strategy games to be astonishingly complex under the hood. Players seem to like to have lots of levers to pull to get things done. But in an era where no-one prints manuals anymore, let alone reads them, it leaves an open question as to how you teach people the game.

Stellaris is fortunate in being able to take a piecemeal approach. You start off in one system and expand gradually, so the game has the luxury of being able to teach you concepts as you come across them. Mostly, this works, but it tends to leave you blind to the bigger picture. I restarted several times because I'd failed to appreciate how a new piece of information dovetailed with something I'd learned earlier.

Total Warhammer, by contrast, drops you in at the deep end. Your tutorial battle is a mass siege where you'll command units you won't be able to recruit until later in the campaign. Stuff gets flashed up in on-screen textboxes which is a terrible idea in a real-time game. Mostly, it wants you to stop and watch videos which I absolutely wasn't going to do. So it took me a long time, and a game on the easy difficulty setting, before I started to understand it.

Both, I think, are bumping up against the limit of what a player will accept in terms of learning systems. And although I'm in a small minority in disliking video tutorials, I still think it's a bad way to learn things. Consider: how much do you retain from watching a documentary compared to reading a chapter in a fact book? Either way it feels like the genre is creaking under the strain. It could be a ripe time for a resurgence of simpler XCOM style games and, ahem, board game adaptations.

Speaking of which, the creator of the original XCOM has a new strategy game in the pipe. It's called Phoenix Point, and it looks like equal parts turn based tactics, global strategy, Lovecraft and Stephen King's The Mist. It also looks awesome. 

And speaking of Warhammer, I'm toying with the idea of investing in Silver Tower. I'm attracted by the fantastic looking miniatures and the choose your own adventure aspects. I'm turned off by the assembly time and the fact I've already got a ton of dungeon crawl games. Been playing Road to Legend recently and that's been really fun, plus I'm a big fan of the D&D Adventure System games. I've got Heroquest gathering dust too, so do I really need another? The eternal question.

Finally, I got down and dirty with some old-fashioned monsters this week when I saw Van Helsing for the second time. I don't care if it was a critical bomb, I think it's a fantastic film, full of action, fun and great set pieces. You can really feel the love for the old Universal monster movies seeping through the screen. And while the critics hated it, it made decent money at the box office.  Which makes the lack of a sequel and the delay to an apparent reboot along with The Mummy franchise, as mysterious as darkest Transylvania.

Can't say the same for the Van Helsing PC action RPG. A feeble Diablo clone with none of the latter franchise's variety or polish. Avoid.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Columbob, Brewmiester

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2016 17:44 - 20 Jun 2016 17:46 #229152 by Brewmiester
Thanks Matt! I'm hoping Total War Warhammer makes it to the Steam sale later this week because I've really wanted to pick up a copy. Been a Total War fan for a long time, the previews I've seen look great and and this review just seals the deal for me. I'm also wondering about Man O' War: Corsair. Looks pretty rough so far graphics wise but could be interesting. I also saw a spot for a new Space Hulk port for Android. GW's new shotgun approach to their IP on computer has been interesting so far.
Last edit: 20 Jun 2016 17:46 by Brewmiester.

More
20 Jun 2016 18:26 #229153 by Matt Thrower

Brewmiester wrote: Thanks Matt! I'm hoping Total War Warhammer makes it to the Steam sale later this week because I've really wanted to pick up a copy. Been a Total War fan for a long time, the previews I've seen look great and and this review just seals the deal for me. I'm also wondering about Man O' War: Corsair. Looks pretty rough so far graphics wise but could be interesting. I also saw a spot for a new Space Hulk port for Android. GW's new shotgun approach to their IP on computer has been interesting so far.

Yes, it's a double edged sword. On the one hand it's lead to a diverse range of imaginative adaptations. On the other there's almost zero coherence or quality control over the range.

Man O' War Corsair is a case in point. It's pretty much a mash up of Assassin's Creed 4 and Elite but it's pretty fun and is packed with Warhammer flavour. It was particularly awesome the first time a Megalodon popped up to chow down on my boat. But then again it's not very innovative, the presentation is below par and it has zero relationship with the original Man O' War. It does seem surprising that GW have let someone mess about so much with such a well loved brand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
21 Jun 2016 16:16 #229186 by DukeofChutney
good review over at SUSD Matt. I've been playing quite a bit of Total Warhammer and its probably the best time I've had with Totalwar since Rome 1. It is actually simpler and more stripped down at the strategic map level than the past 4 or 5 offerings which I like a lot. Imo they could have stripped it down further, ransoming skeletons and controlling unrest amongst dwarves doesn't sit with me that well and they add so little to the game in terms of meaningful decisions. I've been playing quite a few multiplayer battles with one of my friends in tow. Giants are the way to go.

I've also been playing a lot of Hearts of Iron VI. If you want a poster child for a game that is far far to complex for its intended audience (or any audience other than the Paradox faithful that defend anything they put out) it is this game. The strategic diplomatic game is excellent but the operational war game is way way to complex and also doesn't work. The game has no real documentation and sort of expects you to follow the nerds around on paradox forums to learn how the combat systems really work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, ChristopherMD, Brewmiester

More
21 Jun 2016 17:33 #229187 by ChristopherMD
I've never played a Total War game. Was always more into turn-based strategy than rts. But now I have a big tv/monitor and a gaming PC so I bet the battles would look cool. Which one of the history based ones is the best looking and simplest to play?

More
21 Jun 2016 17:51 #229188 by Matt Thrower

Mad Dog wrote: I've never played a Total War game. Was always more into turn-based strategy than rts. But now I have a big tv/monitor and a gaming PC so I bet the battles would look cool. Which one of the history based ones is the best looking and simplest to play?

I would say Shogun 2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
22 Jun 2016 00:58 #229198 by Cranberries
Silver Tower is only $160 at our local mall game store. The owner followed me into the back room with the board games and pretended to sort things to make sure I didn't shoplift any of those Games Workshop coffins. The funny thing is that we have sort of known each other for about seven years and two different stores. I shaved my head and beard recently, and have lost 20 lbs.

And now back to serious game discussion.

More
22 Jun 2016 08:50 #229204 by Columbob

craniac wrote: Silver Tower is only $160 at our local mall game store. The owner followed me into the back room with the board games and pretended to sort things to make sure I didn't shoplift any of those Games Workshop coffins. The funny thing is that we have sort of known each other for about seven years and two different stores. I shaved my head and beard recently, and have lost 20 lbs.

I thought the MSRP was US$150. CA$180 up here.

More
22 Jun 2016 09:56 #229210 by metalface13

craniac wrote: Silver Tower is only $160 at our local mall game store. The owner followed me into the back room with the board games and pretended to sort things to make sure I didn't shoplift any of those Games Workshop coffins. The funny thing is that we have sort of known each other for about seven years and two different stores. I shaved my head and beard recently, and have lost 20 lbs.

You're a shifty one. I wouldn't trust you ;)

More
23 Jun 2016 02:57 #229252 by Gary Sax
I like that Stellaris is one of their simpler, more accessible games. The way it starts from one planet also eased you into it. I'm sure once the expansions come in they'll layer systems to make it complex (it would improve the game in a few places) but there's something to be said for the cleanish slate they have now.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds