October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Barnes on Games: Portal of Morth in Review, SATOR, GWpocalypse stuff

More
23 Sep 2016 15:07 #234894 by wadenels
Hey, we're doing Talisman again in October! We play everything except the the Dragon. I'm currently working out how I'm going to tackle my themed adventure decks idea for my own copy now that it's all here.

Interested to hear more about Infinity Red Veil. Infinity really looks like a miniatures game I could get into.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2016 16:41 #234900 by Michael Barnes
Dang Jeff...those look better than mine. Maybe I won't show mine after all! What's weird is my Lord Goldaming doesn't have a monocle...I was like "WTF is that on his face"...it's not on my figure. And it's not on the picture on the card either. So it is...THE CASE OF THE MISSING MONOCLE.

The Dragon...ha ha...that is the red-headed stepchild of Talisman, isn't it. I guess it is the Timescape of the 4th edition, except that Timescape was fun. I've never even played a full game with The Dragon...we set it up, played a while and I was like "really?" Really looking forward to Harbinger and Cataclysm.

Infinity looks good, the new starter is quite nice. The figures are really well done (if I were going to start an army, it'd be the Islamic dudes) and they have a cool Masamune Shirow-like quality to the designs. It comes with a starter rulebook rather than the full rules, which I think is the right decision even if it means you have to buy a full rulebook later. It's five "tutorial" missions that scale up to use everything in the box. Very nice approach, well-written, and I especially like that it has a "next steps" sort of section that guides you further into the system if you want to go there with suggestions as to what to buy next. GW could really use some guidance like this in their starter sets. It comes with a mat and some cute cardboard buildings, very colorful and sort of anime-styled.

Really looking forward to checking it out...like I need another miniatures game right now...but I think I'm not going further with Warmachine, so maybe...

More
23 Sep 2016 22:40 #234911 by wadenels
The Dragon is good for smaller games, but it isn't great for an everything game.

I didn't get into Warmahordes because it looks so tight and competitive. One of the things I like about the GW fluff is that there are armies that can be played for the storyline and the fun of it. I'm wondering where on the spectrum Infinity falls. I'm interested in fun more than competitive.

More
24 Sep 2016 14:33 #234923 by Josh Look
Should be able to say something about Star Trek next Saturday. Looks like Michael Fralish (FlimFlam, aka The Original Assclown, destroyer of math trades) is getting his early and is up for making the trip to CT.

SO EXCITED.

More
24 Sep 2016 21:36 - 24 Sep 2016 21:37 #234932 by Mr. White

wadenels wrote: I didn't get into Warmahordes because it looks so tight and competitive. One of the things I like about the GW fluff is that there are armies that can be played for the storyline and the fun of it. I'm wondering where on the spectrum Infinity falls. I'm interested in fun more than competitive.

Yeah, I've tried to get into warmahordes twice (Cryx and Oboros), both times were not fulfilling at all. It definitely falls on the more competitive side of the spectrum as you buy units based on the synergy of the units rather than any sort of fluff. It also doesn't help that you don't really get to name or create any characters or units...they all come pre-named with their backstories. Well, about 8 years ago when I last tried it was still that way. It wasn't like WFB/40K where you create your own heroes and characters by naming and equipping them. It felt like working creatively from within a straight jacket. Whether the 'game' is tighter or not...I couldn't care...painting and modelling was so much less fun in PP's universe.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2016 21:37 by Mr. White.

More
24 Sep 2016 22:27 #234935 by wadenels
See I don't care about the painting and modelling all that much. If characters have their own backstories that's OK too. I just want to make squads/armies that are fun because they're part of the fluff that I enjoy, even if the bottom line is that the army I created is in no way optimal.

That's one of the major reasons I like games like Armor Grid Mech Attack. It's a clean ruleset and all the units are nameless. It doesn't even have any background fluff. But I can put together things that are fun to try because it's a game that generates stories through gameplay. Mech pilots and infantry that survive a battle get names and reputation that means nothing but adds to the story we're creating on the table. Warmahordes wasn't fun to play like that, because I'd get slaughtered and told what I did wrong; fun seemed to be an occasional symptom of the game rather than the focus.

I like the WFB/40k fluff because it's so expansive that I can find something fun that appeals to me and play within that small theme, so it offers a lot of the things I like about Armor Grid with even more support for doing something interesting, even if it isn't optimal.

So if Infinity characters already have backgrounds and stories, that's fine. But can I play squads that have an interesting background (provided by fluff or made up on the spot) and are sometimes silly and have them be even close to viable? In my limited Warhammer experience the answer is "yes". In my many Armor Grid plays the answer is "yes". In my handful of Warmahordes games the answer is a resounding "no". That's what gets me. Over-optimization, net lists, optimal squads, and intricate interactions don't really appeal to me. I know there are people that tell me I can do the things I'm asking with Warmahordes, but my experience says that I'll get thoroughly trounced and and treated like a rube rather than someone who showed up with fun being the higher goal than winning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds