October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Trashfest Northeast - Three Days of Gaming Goodness November 11 - 13th, 2016

More
01 Nov 2016 09:50 #237285 by Legomancer
Is anyone coming who knows Pax Pamir? I'd like to experience that one with someone who more or less knows what they're doing.

My friend Matt will be coming with me. He and I will be bringing the following to sell:

$5
Battle Line (2000)
Dungeon Dice (1977)
Girl Genius: The Works (2001)
Jenga (1983)
Light Speed (2003)
Poison (aka Friday the 13th) (2005)
Pride and Prejudice: The Game(2002)
TATATA! (2005)
Zombiaki II: Attack on Moscow(2010)

$10
A Fistful of Dinero (2015)
A Fistful of Penguins (2011)
Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game (2013)
Cave Troll (2002)
Draco Magi (2014)
Dschunke (2002)
Family Business (1982)
Fzzzt! (2009)
Guns of Galicia (2012)
Lost Valley: The Yukon Goldrush 1896 (2014)
Migration: Book II -- A Saga of Conflict (2014)
Potion-Making: Practice (2005)
Rat Hot (2005)
Roma (2005)
Scripts and Scribes: The Dice Game (2012)
The Ares Project
The Great Fire of London
Hellenes
Pirate Dice
Rush n Crush
Serenissima (1st edition)

$20
Roll for the Galaxy (2014) (Includes Ambition expansion)
Bloody April

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2016 16:41 #237304 by billyz
I'm totally down for that Start Trek tourny- even thought I'll have no idea what I'm doing. What time do we start on Friday?

Looks like I'm coming down solo too- my French Canadian buddy bailed.

More
01 Nov 2016 20:18 #237320 by repoman
Don't know if the tourney will happen or not. However, there will be Romulan Ale. I took that Friday off, so whenever you want to get things rolling is cool by me. The club doesn't open until 3pm though.

More
07 Nov 2016 08:09 #237573 by Legomancer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
11 Nov 2016 18:52 #238128 by Legomancer
LAst chance to request I bring something

More
12 Nov 2016 09:35 #238160 by Black Barney

More
12 Nov 2016 19:25 - 12 Nov 2016 19:25 #238197 by Gary Sax
This looks fun! Following along on Lego's Twitter a bit.
Last edit: 12 Nov 2016 19:25 by Gary Sax.

More
13 Nov 2016 18:18 #238266 by ubarose
it was a wonderful weekend of games and great people. I got to see so many old friends and make a few new ones. The only downer was I didn't get but a few seconds with a couple of people. I did get to play some of my favorite games with people who love them as much as I do, including Wiraqocha, Mare Nostrum and Cthulhu Wars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, ChristopherMD

More
14 Nov 2016 09:30 #238296 by Legomancer
My friend Matt and I came on Saturday and had a great time. Here was our dance card:

Thunder Alley - I enjoy TF because I can often get stuff played that doesn't go over well with my other groups because it's too "random" or "long" or whatever. This is a good example. Matt and I both love this, but it's a bitch trying to get it on the table. So playing with Jeff and Mike was great, and I even pulled out a win.

Terraforming Mars - I shouldn't have brought this cause it ain't AT and it's not like I can't get it played elsewhere but I LIKE IT SO MUCH. Played with Matt, Andrew, and Jason and I managed to fall into some serious plant synergy. They all liked it a bunch.

The Dragon and Flagon - The same group from TM plus Nick got this one in, which was perfect for the occasion. There was mug-throwing, table-pushing, cannon-fire, and a lot of folks were swingers, as in "to swing". a great, sloppy time.

Cosmic Encounter - Same group played this one. I'm not a fan but they'd played my games so I was happy to oblige. I picked the "fun" power over the "good" one, and my ability to swap the encounter cards and Jason's ability to make me show mine first made for some interesting combos. We ended up sharing the victory.

Codenames Pictures - played while we were waiting for other games to wrap up, and we were joined by Matthew. My first time playing the pictures incarnation, and I liked it. More or less than the word version, I can't say, but I think it will be easier for some folks to get into.

Mechs vs Minions - Matthew taught this to Matt, Saul, and me. I had heard all about this hotness but didn't know what it actually was until it was apparently all sold out. The production is, of course, beautiful, and the game was a lot of fun. We didn't have too much problem in our scenario until Saul's mech got hit with a lot of damage and we had to work around it. But we managed to stem the minion tide to victory. A lot of fun.

Ice Cool - Al taught this flicking game to Mindy, Matt, and Me, and it was a riot. Such simple dumbness, such fun.

Cockroach Poker - Best way to close out the night. Me, Matt, Mindy, Saul, Ray, and Al. Move of the game was when Saul tried to give a card to Matt, not realizing Matt had started that card in the first place.

Had a great time! Didn't get to play with a lot of folks (some got tied up in super long games) but it was great seeing everyone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Msample

More
14 Nov 2016 11:05 #238313 by Gary Sax
Sounds awesome. Did Ascendancy end up making it out?

More
14 Nov 2016 11:30 #238323 by Legomancer
On Saturday there were two games of Ascendancy going.

More
14 Nov 2016 11:44 #238325 by Josh Look

More
14 Nov 2016 14:32 #238349 by repoman

Gary Sax wrote: Sounds awesome. Did Ascendancy end up making it out?

Yes, I played in two games. One on Saturday as the Klingons and one on Sunday as the Romulans. Both my previous games had been as the Federation so I was happy to get the chance to try out the other two factions. I did abysmally as the Klingons. Having very little science income I was not able to advance my weapons and shields as I should have which made winning battles near impossible and winning battles is the most direct path to victory. Sunday as the Romulans I did much better coming within a hair's breadth of winning. Tied on on ascendancy with the Klingons on the final turn but lost the tie breaker which is controlled planets by two. It was a great time.

I also got to play Swashbucker, the game Englestein revamped into Dragon and Flagon. I had played the sci-fi version, Adventurer, to death as a kid and I was hoping it would have stood the test of time. I am happy to report that it did. Yes it's very old school with hand written pre plotted movement and charts and not beer mugs but Beer Mug Units. However it was still great chaotic fun. I was able to yank the rug out from underneath the feet of Billy Zavos who slipped and fell. As he was getting up, Dan was able to come in and bravely stab him in the back and kill him dead! Al, meanwhile, was turning circles by himself over in a corner.

Cornerstone, I got to play twice. Still awesome. Still a smash hit with everyone I've ever played it with.

Thunder Alley as Lego mentioned. It was good to get a chance to play that game again. I like it but it is a BITCH to get anybody to play it with me.

A very fun weekend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
14 Nov 2016 14:36 - 14 Nov 2016 14:37 #238351 by Mr. White
Last edit: 14 Nov 2016 14:37 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
14 Nov 2016 20:22 #238397 by Saul Goodman
Played a nice amount of games with a great group of people. Loved getting to play Argent again. Black Fleet my favorite new-to-me game. And of course Nexus Ops - the perfect end-game to Trashfest.
Congrats to Engineer Al for being the new Flick Off champion. Perhaps next year Billy Zavos can reclaim his title.
Thanks everyone who organized it! Thanks Peggy for the killer Fall Cider cocktail and snacks. Many thanks to Shellie and Al for putting me up!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.268 seconds