October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

The End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse RPG Review

More
06 Oct 2016 06:00 #235718 by Egg Shen

OK you’ve read the name, feel free to hum a few bars of the R.E.M. song in your head so that we can get on with the review.  You good?  Alright, let’s move on.  

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Columbob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2016 22:53 #235719 by hotseatgames
Nice review! I was curious about the quality of these books. Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
06 Oct 2016 23:42 #235723 by Josh Look
Gosh, I really want to watch something with Molly Ringwold in it now.

This sounds really fun, I'd love to give it a shot sometime.

Thanks for the heads up on this, for further pushing the site further into the realm of horror this Halloween season, and for making me feel less alone in think that Molly Ringwold is super cute. We really are like the same person!

More
07 Oct 2016 07:56 #235730 by Mr. White
Cool to see an RPG get a featured review.

Thanks, Egg!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
07 Oct 2016 11:31 #235755 by Mantidman
Excellent review!
I have this and have been wanting to run it with my sons and their friends. Need to get some red and black d6's.

More
07 Oct 2016 15:12 #235771 by ChristopherMD
Not a fan of the play as yourself thing. I'm sure in any actual zombie/god/robot/alien invasion that most of my friends would immediately go home to their spouses and children. While I would definitely strike out on my own specifically to avoid deciding my survival by committee.

More
08 Oct 2016 17:10 #235809 by Columbob
I couldn't go on living if I didn't at least try to save my family. And if they did bite the dust, then I'm not sure I'd enjoy trying to survive any kind of apocalypse...clinging to life just for the sake of it. Unless there was vengeance involved maybe? Tough call.

More
08 Oct 2016 21:26 #235817 by jason10mm
I remember the old BTRC RPG Timelords had you play as yourself. Something about that premise is simultaneously very appealing yet very disturbing, especially when it comes to things like dealing with random bad guys where the murder hobo attitude gets very creepy when it is you.

More
11 Oct 2016 08:46 - 11 Oct 2016 09:10 #235901 by Egg Shen
Glad to see the RPG review got some love. I figured we discuss them enough around here that y'all wouldn't mind. I'd love to see some more, but I sadly don't get to play them all that often. Weirdly enough I actually read more RPG books than play them. Is that normal? I find reading through them to be incredibly fun and fascinating.

As for the playing as yourself / saving your family thing...prior to playing I had heard that this might be an issue from a few web sites. The way the game has you create characters means you have to list positives and negatives about yourself. We all found it interesting because it immediately opens up conversation...especially if you're not like super best friends with someone at the table. As the GM I sort of side stepped the family thing with a general "everyone's parents and loved ones have called and they're safe right now at a shelter/whatever". After that we didn't dwell on it. One of the players had two dogs and she didn't want to have them involved so as a group we just decided they were with her parents and safe. Again, you need to figure out what is going to be FUN and not depressingly real. My aim as GM was to see the players react to escalating situations and the players sort of agreed with that. You just have to kind of organically figure out what you want while playing. As long as you talk with the players before starting it really shouldn't become an issue. If people really have a problem with it, you can role play as a version of yourself that doesn't have any close family...or whatever you can come up with to make it a moot point.

Some highlights from when we played:

- Whenever we played I put on some John Carpenter music...I leaned heavily on his Halloween III score and it was surprisingly perfect.

- one of my real life neighbors was an NPC who I had shoot and kill two other NPC neighbors. She claimed they were acting violent and weird (they don't care for each other in real life)...watching my wife react to this was pretty ridiculous.

- We used an iPad with google maps to plot the course of the group once they left my house. This was alot of fun.

- While driving too fast someone failed a check to avoid the zombie that stumbled out into the road. It was hit going 60+ mph and after the crash it's head broke through the windshield and landing in the lap of someone sitting in the backseat. It was still biting and chomping.

- At one point a group of military men cornered the group to steal any supplies/weapon they had. This resulted in a Mexican standoff that eventually saw a bunch of party members get shot.

- Several situations would arise where the group had to help someone or keep on moving. This led to lots of infighting and arguing.

So far I've only used the basic Romero zombie scenario. I'm actually interested in running one of the other ones that are a little less traditional. I need to cook something up!
Last edit: 11 Oct 2016 09:10 by Egg Shen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Mr. White, Mantidman

More
11 Oct 2016 08:59 - 11 Oct 2016 08:59 #235904 by Mr. White
Fantastic! Thanks for this follow-up, Egg. Your review was clear that you had spent time with the rulebook, but to add actual play anecdotes afterward is great. I too was interested in how 'playing as yourself' would go down, but it sounded like y'all had fun with it.

Oh, so far as reading RPG books...not an anomaly at all. In fact, I was recently commenting to Metalface that it's dawning on me that RPGs and minis centered games are proving to be a better value per dollar for me than standard board games. If I don't get to play an rpg...I at least get to pull it down to (re)read, admire the art and setting, think creatively, etc. If I don't get to play a minis game...I at least get to paint it up, share photos, discuss techniques, etc. If I don't get to play a board game...it sits on a shelf.

Reading RPG modules can be fun...even if you never get to play them.

Cheers again for this post!
Last edit: 11 Oct 2016 08:59 by Mr. White.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds