October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Manchester by the Sea - Barney's Incorrect Five Second Reviews

More
24 Dec 2016 20:28 #241300 by Black Barney

My heart still hurts from having seen this movie. It took hours for it to feel a bit better, and even now it still aches. This is one HEAVY movie. 

I can't say enough good things about Casey Affleck's performance. He is so obviously going to win best actor this year for this at the Oscars. I liked him before and now I LOVE him. What a deep character to try and master, and he does so with great skill. Michelle Williams is great, and that one scene of them together on the street is easily this year's best scene on film thanks to her. It just absolutely tore me to pieces. 

There are so many of these awkward drama moments captured super well in this film. Like a hockey team standing by and waiting while a teammate learns that his father has just died. Most movies wouldn't give screentime to a bunch of teammates standing on the ice waiting, but this one does and it adds massively to the quality and impact of the drama. 

I also love that the screenwriters completely respect the audience. Never once do we see certain pictures in frames, we only see the characters' reactions to the pictures, that's all we need. You don't need to connect all the dots and you didn't, so KUDOS to Manchester by the Sea for being a smart adult movie. 

This movie is simply incredible and I highly recommend it. This movie will swallow you whole.

Heart rating: 5 stars (it just doesn't get better)

Brain rating: 4.5 stars 

The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, aaxiom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Dec 2016 08:11 #241301 by Cranberries
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
25 Dec 2016 10:52 #241306 by Black Barney
Nono, it's well worth it. It’s incredible storytelling and acting. Casey Affleck says that the movie is terribly depressing but I wouldn't say that, it's just very very heavy. You feel it.

If you have kids that is.

I hope you see it, it's not a painful experience, it's not so much a movie about suffering as it is a movie about dealing with the aftermath of suffering.

It's soooo good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
25 Dec 2016 16:04 #241316 by Grudunza
Barney's right. It's more about the healing than the suffering.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney

More
27 Dec 2016 12:08 #241361 by jpat
It felt a little more like just "moving on" to me than healing, or at least "healing" in the Hollywood sense, which is fine.

It's a good movie, well acted. I've been so addled, I suppose, by classic film narrative structure that I found it a bit frustratingly formless, but I think that says more about me than the film. The runtime's a little long for my taste for something of this sort.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, Black Barney

More
27 Dec 2016 15:14 #241375 by Grudunza
Sure, "moving on" is better. And yes, a bit formless.

More
29 Dec 2016 10:22 #241456 by Gregarius
Cranberries, don't be afraid to see this. There's actually a surprising amount of humor in the film, often in the strangest places.

I liked it a lot, but not as much as the rest of the world, it seems. The formless structure really worked well for me, though.

As for it being a "smart, adult movie," unfortunately I saw it with a dumb adult. There was a woman sitting behind us that kept talking and saying inane "I don't get it" kinda things. She thought she was whispering, but she wasn't very good at it. It was very distracting. At the end when it fades to black, she says, "What? That's it? That's not an ending!"

More
29 Dec 2016 10:30 #241457 by Gregarius
Another classic: Lee had just asked for a job at the dock, and after he leaves the wife says, "I don't ever want him in this office again." The genius behind me says, "Why? What did he do?"

Because she was keeping her voice down, I was mostly able to ignore her. I'm sure no one in the rows ahead could even hear her. When they got up to leave (immediately as the credits rolled), i tried to get a look at her. She was probably late 30s to early 40s with her teenage daughter (who seemed rather embarrassed, but I could be projecting).

More
29 Dec 2016 14:47 #241485 by Black Barney
I had one of those beside me during that Antonio Banderas movie, 13th warrior (of something). The entire time she was going, "oh COME ON". I wanted to have her flayed.

There was some guy in my Manchester viewing that didn't seem to get it either. Wasn’t following, found it too slow. He wasn’t too bad but I wanted to pull out the classic, "this isn't a movie for dumb people" just for Jeff White. But decided to avoid a knuckle sandwich instead.

#wisdom

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.435 seconds