October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Barnes on Games Catchup Post- DOOM, Ogre, TMNT, Acquire, Armada Wave 5, Dreamlands, Conan Expansions...

More
23 Feb 2017 17:52 #244461 by Michael Barnes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, Brewmiester

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2017 09:23 #244462 by Matt Thrower
You've piqued my interest in Doom. When you say it runs a little long, would you care to put a rough figure on that?

More
24 Feb 2017 09:26 - 24 Feb 2017 09:30 #244463 by Egg Shen
Good stuff Barnes. I'm glad that I held off on Conan. Despite my love of the original source material something about the KS for that one just rubbed me wrong. It sounds like the game does alot of cool stuff, but is also kind of a mess. And yeah the expansion model blows goats.

I REALLY wanna get that new DOOM game. It's pretty much the only thing FFG has released recently that I have any interest in. It sounds like a hell of a lot of fun...and honestly I don't mind that it runs long. As long as the pacing is fine and your having fun the whole time, I don't see a problem with a game that skitters past the 2 hour mark.

TMNT is kind of brilliant and I think its the best original design that Kevin Wilson has ever done. It perfectly captures the feel of the turtles and the dice sharing mechanic is a genuine stroke of genius. I actually don't think the production is all that bad...but I get what you're saying. And yeah it sucks that lots of cool shit was only offered to KS backers.

I know you hated The Others, but I still think it's the best 1 vs all game to come out in the last year or so. I don't think its in the same category as DOOM, Conan or TMNT...it just feels completely unique compared to those. Still as a big fan of 1 vs All style games I'm glad to see this type of game come back into fashion. Though at the end of the day I think most people still prefer co-op games.

Sucks to hear that the Dreamlands expansion is a bust. The only big box expansion I own is the Pyramids and I've barely played it. Honestly, EH has so much shit already that I sort of wish they'd stop. They already have another small box expansion on the way....
Last edit: 24 Feb 2017 09:30 by Egg Shen.

More
24 Feb 2017 09:46 - 24 Feb 2017 09:47 #244468 by hotseatgames

MattDP wrote: You've piqued my interest in Doom. When you say it runs a little long, would you care to put a rough figure on that?

I don't think it's out of the ordinary for a scenario to go 2 hours, when they seem like they should be about an hour. There ends up being a bit of a push and pull going on, even when it is fairly obvious which side will be the victor. I haven't played enough to give a better answer than that yet.

That said, at no point during the game that goes on longer than you think it will, is anyone not having fun. :)

My thoughts on Conan - I really liked this game mechanically. Kickstarter ruined it, and I'm glad I dumped mine.
TMNT - this game is great, and I don't mind the minis. The tiles are hideous though.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2017 09:47 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

More
24 Feb 2017 09:50 #244470 by Motorik
I bought Ogre 6E after reading your review of it last week, although I cheated and bought it on Amazon instead of MM. Haven't played Ogre since the 90s and I somehow completely missed the Designer's Edition Kickstarter, but I'm pretty impressed by the production quality on this thing and I'm really curious to see how the gameplay holds up in 2017. I hope SJG goes the glossy, oversized resurrection route for more of the older classics.

More
24 Feb 2017 09:52 - 24 Feb 2017 09:53 #244472 by Egg Shen

hotseatgames wrote: TMNT - this game is great, and I don't mind the minis. The tiles are hideous though.

Yeah the tiles are pretty much the only thing about the production that I dislike. When we played the first scenario I stared at the tiles for a solid 15 minutes before realizing we were starting on a rooftop. I felt like it was a fucking magic eye painting that all the sudden came into focus.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2017 09:53 by Egg Shen.

More
24 Feb 2017 10:45 #244481 by charlest
You're aware Gloomhaven is a legacy game, right? You won't be able to resell it and it has about 90 hours of content. I'm really interested to hear your take because it's so far out there for what you typically desire.

Due to it being extremely allocated (all retailers got 8% of what they ordered and Miniature Market already receive and shipped theirs last week), unfortunately we may not get to hear your take.

More
24 Feb 2017 11:29 #244486 by Gary Sax
DOOM combat system sounds great, sounds like a bit of a refinement of Gears---and you guys know how much I love Gears. Should I give this game a shot given my Gears love? What I'd really like is if FFG took this an iterated it again on another popular property---heard any rumors about that?

More
24 Feb 2017 11:33 #244487 by Shellhead
I appreciate the update regarding the Dreamlands expansion to Eldritch Horror. That sideboard map of the Dreamlands looks downright boring. I've decided against getting into EH just for the sake of the Dreamlands, though I'm still open to giving EH a try at some point.

More
24 Feb 2017 11:43 #244491 by Gary Sax
btw, all the work you're doing over there (you, Charlie, others) is pretty great and I'm glad to hear about all these releases. My armada purchases are on hold for now but...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, charlest

More
24 Feb 2017 12:01 #244494 by Motorik
Co-signing on Gary's comment. I don't buy a lot of new games (I mostly trawl eBay for old Avalon Hill stuff and OOP 90s Euros) but I still look forward to the Review Corner newsletter hitting my inbox every week. All of you guys are fine writers, as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Colorcrayons, charlest

More
24 Feb 2017 12:15 #244496 by Space Ghost
Is the new Doom much better than the old Doom -- I have (and enjoy) both the original and it expansion.

More
24 Feb 2017 12:36 - 24 Feb 2017 12:36 #244502 by charlest
It's pretty different. It's less innovative but better designed. It's less loose, better balanced (first scenario notwithstanding), has better miniatures, and allows the overlord to play balls out.

The original has more interesting scenarios (especially the expansion), is much more brutal, and was really crazy for the time.

I think I'd probably rather play the new one if given the choice but this doesn't exactly replace that. Unless you're only interested in one sci-fi dungeon crawler then maybe it does.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2017 12:36 by charlest.

More
24 Feb 2017 13:58 #244503 by Vlad
After this review, I again feel very tempted to get Acquire.

More
24 Feb 2017 21:08 #244519 by Legomancer
Glad to hear you're soon going to be talking about some games with plastic figures on a map!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds