October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2648 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

The Big Sick - Barney's Incorrect Five Second Reviews

More
25 Jul 2017 16:35 #251678 by Black Barney

An actual funny and deep rom-com? Can it be? Honestly, i don't think it can qualify as a romance as much as a drama. A comedic drama.

I lol'd several times and all the initial scenes with Kumail's family are fantastic. There's ton of real-ness and heartfelt-ism (I'm making up words today apparently) in this. There were times that this was yanking the emotions right out of me with crafty ease. I laughed, I cried, I was rooting for Kumail and even knowing how it turns out didn't take away at all from the movie.

I wish Zoe Kazan's Emily character didn't have as much vocal fry but she portrayed a very real person exceptionally well. It's funny to hear people say the movie is about 10 minutes too long since I was dying for an epilogue. I wish it hadn't wrapped up so quickly at the end. This viewer needed a little more payola.

I was thinking Kumali's father was going to be the comedic scene-stealer but then Ray Romano hits the screen with this surprisingly deep backstory subplot that also felt super real. It was hilarious watching him try to NOT be funny.

I'm not a big fan of the R-rated comedies that seem to do really well, I much prefer this type although it's harder to describe and pull off.

It sounds stupid to describe a movie about a real-life story as honest, but it really is and feels that way throughout. I think there was only one segment in a hospital room which felt like a screenplay, everything else just trucked right along and never pushed me firmly back into my theatre seat.

I really loved it. Can't recommend it enough.

Heart rating: 5 stars (honestly, perfect on this front. I was moved all sorts of ways, it's great)

Brain rating: 4 stars (one scene bothered me a little and I REALLY needed that epilogue)

The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy, Scott_F, Vlad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2017 09:20 - 26 Jul 2017 09:31 #251679 by Black Barney
welp...i've slept on it and I like this movie even more than I did yesterday. I love that they explored the idea of a muslim aetheist/agnostic. I don't know why I ignorantly never considered that before, but it's hilarious to think of someone going to the basement with their little carpet, and then they play video games instead.

It very smartly exposes us to Pakistani and Muslim culture in a very subtle yet direct way. I have a friend who ended up in one of these pre-arranged marriages and he passed around the headshot like it was a trophy. It was insane.

also question for fatties, should I put a descriptive of the movie in my reviews in case you guys don't know what it is? Obviously I don't have to do that for blockbusters, but I'm guessing not everyone knows what this movie is.
Last edit: 26 Jul 2017 09:31 by Black Barney.

More
26 Jul 2017 12:36 #251697 by Scott_F
I'll agree with all this. Wife and I saw the movie last weekend and really enjoyed it. And I also wouldn't call it a romantic comedy either, far more of a drama with some comedy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
26 Jul 2017 12:47 #251701 by Michael Barnes
I can not imagine being less interested in seeing a motion picture than this. Aside from Manchester by the Sea.

More
26 Jul 2017 16:27 #251716 by Unicron

Michael Barnes wrote: I can not imagine being less interested in seeing a motion picture than this. Aside from Manchester by the Sea.

Given the state of American cinema, I feel obligated to watch films that feature adult humans who do not have superpowers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Scott_F

More
26 Jul 2017 16:51 #251722 by Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds