October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Members Top Fives

Just five games

More
26 Feb 2018 00:17 - 26 Feb 2018 12:04 #264004 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Just five games
So I missed the original thread, and I've been selling off most of my rarely-played collection. This is what I have left;

1. Duel of Ages II. (I've played the original and one scenario of this)

2. Space Hulk. (just the tiles and other pieces. Need to buy disks and make a version, or sell it)

3. Zimby Mojo. Just a cool, unique game that I hope to play again.

4. Thirteen days: Couldn't sell it and it looks fun.

5. Innovation. Lost my copy when we moved to the Middle East and got another a few months ago for like five bucks. My kids like it.

6. Fields of Fire. I will learn this, I promise.

7. Heroscape. Selling it is too much work.

8. Cosmic Eidex. It takes up no space, and I may learn it some day

9. Pax Pamir. About three plays. So good.

10. Downforce. Daytona 500 stayed in Qatar.

11. Chariots of Rome. Ordered before I threw a hissy fit and decided to quit gaming.

12. Citadels

So my top five are:

1. Pax Pamir (but can I play it for years?)
2. Innovation
3. Downforce
4. Duel of Ages
5. Zimby Mojo or Fields of Fire.

The family will play Innovation and Downforce, and everything else is pretty good if I can find someone to play them. It hurt to remove Citadels and Heroscape.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2018 12:04 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2018 09:55 #264016 by Motorik
Replied by Motorik on topic Just five games
1. Can't Stop - favorite push-your-luck dice game of all time
2. Wyatt Earp - favorite card game of all time and a quiet masterclass in game design
3. Nexus Ops - favorite DoaM of all time
4. For Sale - requested at my house more than any other game
5. Talisman - best adventure game of all time, best narrative-building/storytelling game of all time, etc. etc.

Almosts:

6. History of the World (ONLY the Hasbro AH edition) - favorite Risk variant
7. Ra - best auction game ever made
8. Samurai - favorite Knizia game
9. Settlers of Catan - 2nd-most requested game at my house
10. Stellar Conquest - favorite clunky 70s Avalon Hill spreadsheet game of all time

Almost-almosts:

Acquire, No Thanks/Geschenkt, Eldritch Horror, OGRE, Hannibal: Rome Vs. Carthage
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
25 Jun 2018 20:34 - 25 Jun 2018 20:37 #276197 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Just five games

cranberries wrote:
So my top five are:

1. Pax Pamir (but can I play it for years?)
2. Innovation
3. Downforce
4. Duel of Ages
5. Zimby Mojo or Fields of Fire.

The family will play Innovation and Downforce, and everything else is pretty good if I can find someone to play them. It hurt to remove Citadels and Heroscape.

I have since sold Duel of Ages and Pax Pamir, but I'll buy the new version of Pax Pamir when it comes out. It's going to launch on Kickstarter and have chunky resin pieces. I am not kidding.
Last edit: 25 Jun 2018 20:37 by Cranberries.

More
26 Jun 2018 00:46 #276208 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Just five games
If I had to reduce to 5 games from my current stock, counting only BOARD GAMES:

1. Battlestar Galactica
2. Las Vegas
3. Pandemic
4. Elder Sign
5. SEAL Team Flix (and not saying this becuase of bias, Mark and I made this for US first.)

Wife’s Picks:
1. Octo Dice
2. Rolling Bones
3. Las Vegas
4. Elder Sign
5. Flix

She made a good point when I said “Desert Island Games” that games like TIME Stories which she adores would be DOA because it’s the kind of game where you can only play the expansions once every two years or so since your memory would fade only so slowly. So, she picked games with virtually endless replay. Dice games.

More
26 Jun 2018 09:00 #276222 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic Just five games
This is a difficult choice for a guy who does tend to collect more than play/paint/build games/minis/models.

1. Combat Commander - I'm rolling the entire collection into one game entry. It really has rocketed to the top of my play list.

2. C&C Napoleonics - Another collection. Every nation has a distinct feel and I like to imagine Sharpe and his chosen men on one of those little blocks.

3. Dominion - Infinite replayability. Ascension may replace it, but I'm only just starting to play on iOS.

4. Merchants & Marauders - Best pirate game. End of discussion.

5. Horse Fever - If you have ever cheered the horses along at the Sigma Derby game in Vegas, this hits that same spot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMcL63

More
26 Jun 2018 16:20 #276272 by WadeMonnig
Replied by WadeMonnig on topic Just five games
Well, pretty sure my list has zero crossover with most of the other lists. Assuming it's 5 games that would reside in my house that everyone in the family would want/enjoy playing:
Kemet: every game is a new adventure. Everyone starts on the same ground and builds a specific army on the powers they choose.
Champions of Midgard
King Of Tokyo
Century Spice Road
Black Fleet

All support 2 to 5 players (assuming 2 player Black Fleet variant).

More
26 Jun 2018 17:11 #276278 by GoTeamVenture
Replied by GoTeamVenture on topic Just five games
1. Agricola: I like most of Uwe Rosenburg's games but Agricola is still my favorite. I like the variety that the minor improvement and occupation cards provide. I think it's fun trying to figure out how my family is going to survive with a different hand of cards each game.

2. Tigris & Euphrates: I have only played this game about half a dozen times but I don't think I'll ever get sick of it. I'm not very good at the game but I feel like I am just starting to figure out what I am doing when I play it. I am excited to try Yellow & Yangtze but I can't imagine it will replace this.

3. Android: Netrunner: I played this a lot for a couple years and then got rid of it because I felt like the card pool was getting too big for me. I also didn't know many people who played so it wasn't worth it to keep a large LCG collection around. The revised core set sounded like a good mix of cards so I bought those, the deluxe expansions, and the last data pack cycle. It's sad the game is ending but those cards are plenty for me.

4. Twilight Imperium 4th edition: A friend of mine received 3rd edition for Christmas the year it was released which was also around the time I was finishing college. I didn't game that regularly at the time but I still remember things from those games. We played it three or four times over the course of a year or so. I think I played 3rd edition one more time after that. I have had 4th edition for less than a year and have already played it four times. I like Star Trek Ascendancy and Eclipse as well but if I had to choose one it would be TI4. Especially now that it can generally be played in under 4 hours.

5. Blood Rage: This was the most difficult choice. I considered a couple Martin Wallace games, Puerto Rico, a couple Splotter games, Fire in the Lake, and Churchill. If I had to choose though it would probably be Blood Rage because I have never had a bad experience playing it. It seems to go over pretty well with people who have different tastes in games too. I prefer this over some other dudes on a map games like Chaos in the Old World or Cthulhu Wars because the card drafting allows you to decide how you are going to play the game each time rather than being forced into a specific style of play because you have a certain special power.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, WadeMonnig

More
26 Jun 2018 17:23 #276280 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic Just five games
1. D and D
2. Roll for the Galaxy
3. Takenoko
4. The Great Dalmuti (I have 6 unopened decks because it went oop like 18 years ago, and I freaked and bought out my friends stiock at his comic shop. - I’ve given away like 15 decks over the last 10 years. Every non gamer that comes over for a Dalmuti night ends up wanting a copy.)
5. Puerto Rico

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.320 seconds