October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Archipelago

More
05 Mar 2015 18:55 #198893 by repoman
Archipelago was created by repoman
Thinking about getting this game. Looking at the description it is a heavy euro. I recall at least one member of the Fort being a fan. Anybody have opinions on this? How would you compare it to other heavy Euros? How confining are the rules? How much a part does randomization play?

If I were to say I hate Age of Steam but I like Dominant Species, how would I feel about Archipelago?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2015 19:03 #198896 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Archipelago
It is really kind of a giant parody of several Eurogame tropes. It's either the most clunky, cumbersome Euro ever designed or the most brilliantly compiled. Take your pick.

There is a lot of "play" in the game though, I wouldn't call the rules confining. There's some grit to it, it's not just some kind of optimization thing. Lots of randomness in a couple of different elements so there is a "play it as it lays" sense to it. I would say that it would compare more to Dominant Species than Age of Steam, easily.

More
05 Mar 2015 21:44 #198909 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Archipelago
I'm a big fan. Gary Sax is as well.

I reviewed it last year: www.2d6.org/2014/10/archipelago-a-written-review/

More
05 Mar 2015 22:29 #198912 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Archipelago
I'm a fan as well. I also recommend the War and Peace expansion as it increase the interaction between players.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 Mar 2015 22:34 - 05 Mar 2015 22:41 #198913 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Archipelago
It is on my shelf and I am dying to play it more than the like once I've played it with people who were like "what the fuck is this shit?" It's kind of a genius game. I should probably pick up War and Peace even though I'll never play it, I love the idea of this game. And GOD knows it'll never be reprinted...

Honestly, there's a little bit of something like a euro version of Triumph of Chaos in it.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2015 22:41 by Gary Sax.

More
05 Mar 2015 23:20 #198920 by trif
Replied by trif on topic Archipelago
Shut Up and Sit Down have covered Archipelago

(It was my favourite game of 2013, even though I haven't managed to get to the long game yet.)

More
06 Mar 2015 09:18 #198940 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Archipelago
I've played a 2-p learning game and that's it, it was a bit flat with 2 though so wouldn't base any opinion on that play. The few times we came to show it to the game group, teaching/learning time/curve were a big hurdle and it hasn't seen any play.

That said, I do have the solo expansion and intend to play it by myself so as to get a better grasp on the rules to be able to teach them in a more intuitive way perhaps. Problem with that is that I just never really pull out a board game for solo play.

More
18 Oct 2016 14:11 - 18 Oct 2016 14:12 #236404 by Gary Sax
I got this game out to refresh myself on the rules, played solo. The economy is kind of interesting. Where most euros about colonization are really about... I don't know, colonizing a meaningfully uninhabited moon, this game is about actual colonization. Running underneath it is a strong anti-colonial vibe. You're basically trying to rape this land and its people JUST ENOUGH to not all be murdered in your bed by the locals you're exploiting while still beating out your other colonizer opponents. There's a lot less whitewashing in that way and the game is quite thematic with respect to colonization, not in setting or card description but in mechanics.

I have no idea if the secret objectives work. Part of me doubts it. There are too few and they are too important. I (gulp) wonder if the game would be better if it was a variable weight point salad ending instead.

GOTTA play this someday with some committed players. It's staying on the shelf.
Last edit: 18 Oct 2016 14:12 by Gary Sax.

More
18 Oct 2016 15:36 #236410 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Archipelago
Incidentally I soloed this throughout the weekend (needed to hit that 10 plays for Pete's challenge, got to 20), mostly the long scenarios. I reached gold victory on most of them, but to improve on the few silver achievement scenarios I needed to luck out and get specific cards out right from the start, such as the Scout for mister Landwalker (explore the whole map in under 8 turns or so). I did use the assassin once in that last game, Pope Hull VIII, to get an extra turn. You can get really screwed if you fail on explorations though.

Scenarios that start you with 1 citizen and no money have you balancing on a razor's edge - hopefully you don't need to resolve a triple resource export crisis otherwise you're doomed on turn 2 with an aboriginal spear in your gut.

Talked about it with the regular host so this might hit the table soon, now that I'm all fresh up on the rules (10-ish months since last few games). I made a few mistakes in the early games, soon corrected that. The solo puzzles are fun enough, but group dynamics will have a more interesting impact I hope.

More
18 Oct 2016 19:20 #236429 by Gary Sax
IMHO, the dual market system of this game (attached to citizen anger track!) is quietly as deep as a full stock market train euro or something.

More
18 Oct 2016 19:31 #236430 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Archipelago
The buzz is that this upcoming game is a combination of Archipelago and BSG. Anyone heard anything about it?

www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/new-angeles/products/new-angeles/

More
21 Oct 2016 02:25 #236606 by LilRed
Replied by LilRed on topic Archipelago
I love the android universe and the game sounds interesting enough but I absolutely dispise the coop winner (big/small winners / traitor mechanic) Frankly it doesn't work in our group where there are no small winners.

There should be ways to avoid losing without being the traitor/informant whatever. Because allowing one player to just make all the power moves while the rest tries to get the tracker down, or in my group everbody uses the power moves and the game is over before you can blink five times. I don't think cooperative style is a good thing for a megacorp game.

More
13 Feb 2019 14:55 #292180 by Gary Sax
www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2116421/back-production

They're reprinting this crazy game.

More
13 Feb 2019 15:30 #292183 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Archipelago
I have mad respect for Boelinger, but I played this game one time. I don't want to play it a second time.

More
13 Feb 2019 15:32 #292185 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Archipelago
I really like this game. It's too bad nobody else I know does. Surprising it's being reprinted as I never thought it was very popular.

Someday Gary Sax and I will hang out playing all the great games you other jerks wont.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds