October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

The 7th Continent

More
28 Sep 2017 15:34 #254970 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic 7th continent
Almost failed my Saving Throw on this one. It sounds right up my alley but a few things convinced me not to back it.
1) Since I'd be combining shipping then I wouldn't have it for over a year. My excitement/anticipation will be long gone by then. A year from now I'll be asking myself why I spent $130 on a push-your-luck exploration game that's mainly just cards.
2) I stopped reading Choose-Your-Own books a long time ago. Could order one off Amazon and read it this weekend if I wanted to. Would rather spend that time reading actual literature.
3) Since I'd be primarily solo I think a video game would be better. Even with a friend I can think of lots of other stuff to do without missing this.
4) Lack of replayability. I never re-read any CYOA books. I know there is some variety here and that's good when you have to restart a curse. I just don't see myself re-visiting them later when there will always be newer experience games I haven't played once yet.
5) I can buy a used copy from Michael Barnes a year from now for cheap. Or from someone else a couple years from now. Lots of FOMO buyers on this one who won't end up liking it or won't replay it so I don't expect the price to go up. Nothing stopping a 3rd KS either even if they claim now that it's unlikely.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2017 18:47 #254983 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic 7th continent
I think I'm bouncing out of this one. If I'm going to spend $130 on a game I'd rather just buy some Warhammer stuff. I'll patiently wait to see if MM gets it.

More
03 Oct 2017 16:49 - 03 Oct 2017 17:50 #255195 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic 7th continent
haha, jesus christ, I didn't realize that the base box+expansion set ("Rookie," 140) does not include any of the original kickstarter expansions. No thanks even though it's right up my alley.

Hopefully I can buy someone's complete set someday for less. Fear the FOMO.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2017 17:50 by Gary Sax.

More
03 Oct 2017 19:06 - 03 Oct 2017 19:11 #255210 by Wetworks
Replied by Wetworks on topic 7th continent

Michael Barnes wrote: I think I'm bouncing out of this one. If I'm going to spend $130 on a game I'd rather just buy some Warhammer stuff. I'll patiently wait to see if MM gets it.

It's closer to $160 after you factor in shipping for two waves. I'm slightly interested in this and the upcoming Too Many Bones kickstarter but I probably won't back either. The KS tax is starting to get too high for what you can get on sale for other games which are equally as fun.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2017 19:11 by Wetworks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
12 Oct 2017 10:42 #255564 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic 7th continent
I have no idea on this one and it is closing soon. Any additional impressions, Charlie or anyone else? The style of game would get a **lot* of play in my house, if it's good. That's one thing keeping me interested.

If I got it I'd probably get the base and expansion unless I get some sort of money infusion.

More
12 Oct 2017 10:57 #255567 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic 7th continent
I don't know, still haven't finished the first curse. We've been meaning to get back to it but I don't have an obligation to review it and a stack of other games I do have an obligation to. It's taken a backseat to a few weeks of Battlestations second edition recently.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
03 May 2018 14:46 #272614 by Frohike
I've just started The 7th Continent and I'm actually surprised at how quickly I got up and running with it. The rules are much more basic than I was expecting, with the granular actions on cards determining the choices & events, rather than reams of text & edge case handling in the manual. It gives me a sense of immediate immersion, being plopped on an island with a few verbs at my disposal and being left to my own devices. I'm still in the honeymoon phase of the game, where this sense of being thrown to the wolves feels magical & mysterious, but I can also see that point on the horizon where the recurring hard boundary of the RNG fail state will begin to chip away at my sanity, a sort of inverse Truman show where the walled garden is delimited by repeated death.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover, hotseatgames, charlest, Gregarius

More
03 May 2018 18:18 - 03 May 2018 18:19 #272632 by wkover

Frohike wrote: I've just started The 7th Continent and I'm actually surprised at how quickly I got up and running with it...I'm still in the honeymoon phase of the game, where this sense of being thrown to the wolves feels magical & mysterious, but I can also see that point on the horizon where the recurring hard boundary of the RNG fail state will begin to chip away at my sanity...

I love the 7th Continent. I've played for 34 hours, and I'm still in the honeymoon phase. I've completed Crystal Song x2 (different groups), and I'm now in two different Voracious Goddess adventures using two different sets. What's neat is that playing with different characters really does make the game feel unique. And one of my teammates is walking around with a reanimated monster that helps him complete his actions. That's cool.

It blows my mind that this is an indie production. How did the art, design, and rulebook come out so well? What the hell? Dungeon Degenerates is an impressive and cute lo-fi timekiller, but 7C is simply amazing.

If a constant threat of annihilation isn't your thing, it would be easy to dial down the difficulty if you keep falling into a permadeath spiral. You might add a handful of advanced action cards into the deck to start (thereby increasing your life total and card quality), or treat the 777 (revival) card as reusable - but with some sort of penalty (e.g., 5 action cards are removed at random after each use).

I've never had a Game of the Year winner, as I almost never play games the same year that they're released. But if I had one, this would be it. There's no other game like it, period, and the designers should be extremely proud of their creation. Though it's definitely not for everyone, and I may grow to hate it if I can't finish the VG curse without dying.

I like it much better than Gloomhaven or TIME stories, but those games are still good and it's entirely a personal preference.

Still, there are drawbacks:
- It's not publicly available, and it's expensive.
- You can't play two simultaneous campaigns with the same set. Though almost every other campaign game works the same way, so no surprise.
- The survival part might end up overshadowing the fun/story part, particularly after multiple plays.
- Some items are *really* good, and you might have trouble surviving without them. But I suppose that's why certain cards allow you to search through part of the action deck.
Last edit: 03 May 2018 18:19 by wkover.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Frohike, charlest

More
03 May 2018 18:29 - 03 May 2018 18:30 #272633 by Gary Sax
Yeah, I go back and forth on not dropping hundreds on 7th continent for everything (honestly). It might have really landed given the preferences in my house.
Last edit: 03 May 2018 18:30 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
03 May 2018 19:01 #272635 by Michael Barnes
I'd love to play 7th Continent, but no one I play with regularly has it and it's not available unless I want to spend hundreds of dollars since it is not in standard distribution. So...oh well!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Gregarius

More
04 May 2018 15:05 #272676 by Stonecutter

Michael Barnes wrote: I'd love to play 7th Continent, but no one I play with regularly has it and it's not available unless I want to spend hundreds of dollars since it is not in standard distribution. So...oh well!

I'm actually pretty sore about this. I missed both KS projects. The idea that a game with this kind of demand can't get a smaller standard distribution is frankly, bullshit. I almost want to ignore it completely out of spite, but man, I want to play it too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
05 May 2018 21:36 - 05 May 2018 21:37 #272722 by Gary Sax

Stonecutter wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: I'd love to play 7th Continent, but no one I play with regularly has it and it's not available unless I want to spend hundreds of dollars since it is not in standard distribution. So...oh well!

I'm actually pretty sore about this. I missed both KS projects. The idea that a game with this kind of demand can't get a smaller standard distribution is frankly, bullshit. I almost want to ignore it completely out of spite, but man, I want to play it too.

Same. This is the only super expensive all-in Kickstarter I resisted that I've regretted not getting at times. Almost every other time once the FOMO ended I was like "thank God I didn't spend those 200+ dollars."
Last edit: 05 May 2018 21:37 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
06 May 2018 01:08 - 06 May 2018 01:09 #272727 by Frohike

Inconceivable for retail, says Serious Poulp.

... Serious Poulp is seriously full of shit.

(This is the entire game in terms of materials)
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 May 2018 01:09 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
06 May 2018 07:34 #272731 by wkover
There may be extra copies of the 7th Continent base game floating around eventually, because - due to card color/size issues - the publisher is reprinting the entire base set for free for all of the original KS backers (in October, I think, with shipping wave 2). Crazy but true, apparently.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1926712971/...e-down/posts/2171251

More
06 May 2018 09:51 #272732 by Gary Sax
Is that how that resolved? That is fucking wild that anyone would do that.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.882 seconds