October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Wiz War virgin

More
12 Nov 2015 21:14 #214965 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Wiz War virgin

San Il Defanso wrote: Friends don't let friends talk about Wiz-War on BGG. Same with Cosmic Encounter.

The base game is a bit heavy on counters, though not enough that I felt compelled to remove any. But with both expansions in there, it's a good deal more insane.

No joke. I have the green Wizard avatar, but I'd still say CE is my favorite game when asked. However, I had to unsubscribe from the BGG CE forum because of at least one persistent fun-murdering asshat quibbler.

I also took a self-induced break from the Wiz-War section at one point after flaming some clown in there. Amazed I didn't get a message from Octavian for that one. Now I just let the thread counter build up and try to ignore it. It's fallen out of Cult of the New, so only people looking to have fun show up in there now anyway.

But everyone here is better anyway. Listen to this thread. They're right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula, stoic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2015 11:01 #214980 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic Wiz War virgin
No, I certainly didn't go to BGG to solicit opinions (I've never even had an account on BGG)! That's what I come here for.

However, after viewing that Shut Up & Sit Down video, I was reading the comments, and one guy linked to a forum post on BGG where some guy made his suggestions on what healing / counterspells cards to "prune" from the big deck of cards. His point was to make the game short and bloody. Not having any familiarity with the card deck, that was helpful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, stoic

More
05 Jan 2018 15:03 #260284 by CapnHowdy
Replied by CapnHowdy on topic Wiz War virgin
So on the topic of the counter spell cards...

If one is playing with the core set plus both expansions, should any counter spell cards be culled?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, stoic

More
05 Jan 2018 15:27 #260294 by Not Sure
Is your group frustrated with the number of spells that just fizzle because of an "I cancel that" counter?

That's the key to your answer. I think having some counters (especially big one like Full Reflection) is critical, or else it's just a slugfest, and whoever got the big numbers will win. But, so many of the core set counters were stuff like Null Powder, where your awesome spell and its juiced-up number just go away.

That's not much fun, IMO.

Also, playing Big Book of Spells or not makes a big difference. I know the counterspell frequency (and especially cancel-counters) went way down in the expansions, but in order to play by the "school of magic rules", every school has to have at least some.

I'd pull a few of the lame ones like Null Powder, and make sure to leave the ones with fun side-effects in.

More
05 Jan 2018 16:37 - 05 Jan 2018 16:51 #260318 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Wiz War virgin

CapnHowdy wrote: So on the topic of the counter spell cards...

If one is playing with the core set plus both expansions, should any counter spell cards be culled?

Short answer: yes kind of

Long answer:
color-crayons.blogspot.com/2014/11/wiz-w...-magic-deck.html?m=1

[Edit]
I agree that Null Powder can be lame, but I've only encountered that feeling when a lot of counters are present.
I firmly believe there absolutely needs to be at least one spell in the deck that just says "No!". It keeps players on their toes for that potential outcome. Otherwise, the meta can become a bit stale without any risk involved. Null Powder fills that powerful niche alone as long as it is truly alone and not one among many pieces of denial.

YMMV of course.
Last edit: 05 Jan 2018 16:51 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure, stoic

More
05 Jan 2018 16:39 #260319 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Wiz War virgin
I didn't know you had a blog! Cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
05 Jan 2018 17:02 #260325 by Not Sure

Colorcrayons wrote:

CapnHowdy wrote: So on the topic of the counter spell cards...

Short answer: yes kind of

Long answer:
color-crayons.blogspot.com/2014/11/wiz-w...-magic-deck.html?m=1

[Edit]
I agree that Null Powder can be lame, but I've only encountered that feeling when a lot of counters are present.
I firmly believe there absolutely needs to be at least one spell in the deck that just says "No!". It keeps players on their toes for that potential outcome. Otherwise, the meta can become a bit stale without any risk involved. Null Powder fills that powerful niche alone as long as it is truly alone and not one among many pieces of denial.

YMMV of course.

Yeah, do that.

Except CC and I are going to have to disagree on Pick Lock, because they were always an essential part of Wiz-War to me. On the A side boards, they're probably not as useful. On the B side boards, getting one can really rearrange your plans as it can be a huge boost to movement by shortcutting through doors.

More
05 Jan 2018 17:31 - 05 Jan 2018 17:31 #260331 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Wiz War virgin
Last edit: 05 Jan 2018 17:31 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Colorcrayons, stoic

More
05 Jan 2018 18:12 #260342 by Colorcrayons

cranberries wrote: See also: Wiz War for Dummies

I totally would have contributed to that thread had I been able to in time.

But my only contribution would have been identical to the above, with a smattering of devil's advocacy regarding a few suggestions.

More
05 Jan 2018 18:17 #260345 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Wiz War virgin
Love Wiz-War. Going to go against the grain slightly and suggest you go with the classic rules bar the big deck, and stick with a selection of spell schools.

It's personal taste really: the big deck gives you more options for crazy play but they come up more rarely & some games fall flat due to crap cards. Using spell schools lets you customise the game a bit to your liking, makes combo planning possible, and generally results in a more even experience.

More
05 Jan 2018 18:31 - 06 Jan 2018 14:42 #260351 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Wiz War virgin
If you're playing with the FFG version and all expansions we culled:
1 Invisible
5 Negate Neutrals (we like having objects remain permanent and interfere with people's plans, even the original caster.)
2 Wall of Earths
1 Featherweight
2 Shields
2 Full Shields
and both Planar Calls; the latter because stopping the game so someone can look through the entire deck for one of 5 monsters is annoying.

We like games that end in points for killing people, so that may be more culling than your group would like, but it's made games fun for us.
Last edit: 06 Jan 2018 14:42 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure, Colorcrayons, stoic

More
05 Jan 2018 18:44 #260356 by Not Sure
Ooof, Wall of Earth. Just throw those cards away.

1) It's a stupid "no you can't" counter, and the game is not short of those.
2) It's the single worst-written card in the FFG set, approaching the level of Pit or Illusion Wall in the old set. I think I almost got a vacation from BGG for arguing about that card.

Are there really 5 Negate Neutrals across the FFG schools? Yuck. Featherweight I always liked, just because of the "chase him down, hit him, aw shit, now he's closer to the base!". Of counterspells, that's one that's actually fun.

Solid choices, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Colorcrayons, stoic

More
05 Jan 2018 18:59 - 05 Jan 2018 19:10 #260359 by Colorcrayons
Yeah, there are 5, to ensure each school has their own counters as you already mentioned.

This is why I dislike the school structure that ffg made. (Or at least continued beyond Wilson's influence)

It attempts to create an even playing field across choosing which to include, yet sadly fails in that otherwise noble endeavor.

I feel it should have been one rudimentary deck that you tweak a bit with other cards to your own taste.

Bringing back the original big book of spells, but without the card redundancy that has an over bearing size which creates it's own problems.

But I've already gone over that in the linked post.

Agreed. Featherweight is a fun counter.

I haven't encountered feeling annoyed by Planar Call tutoring for creatures from the deck. But then again, usually people I play with know the creatures well enough to go directly to the creatures they want and get on with the game rather than waffle around deciding which of the creatures they want while tutoring for a creature.

Sounds like analysis paralysis during tutor, and that would indeed be shitty to deal with.
Last edit: 05 Jan 2018 19:10 by Colorcrayons.

More
05 Jan 2018 19:22 #260364 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Wiz War virgin
I've never removed any counters, but I also play with both expansions. It's an absurd deck of cards. I've never thought the game was too heavy on counterspells, but the nice thing is that you can always tune the deck however you like.

More
05 Jan 2018 23:29 #260372 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Wiz War virgin

Colorcrayons wrote: I haven't encountered feeling annoyed by Planar Call tutoring for creatures from the deck. But then again, usually people I play with know the creatures well enough to go directly to the creatures they want and get on with the game rather than waffle around deciding which of the creatures they want while tutoring for a creature.

Sounds like analysis paralysis during tutor, and that would indeed be shitty to deal with.

It's not a decision thing. It's just a matter of finding a creature to begin with. There's only 5 of them and when you're looking for five cards in a deck of a few hundred, it's annoying. Plus it means that the deck has to be shuffled again, which is also a pain in the ass when you're trying to do a slam-bang (heavy on the "bang") game of Wiz-War. It's easier for us to just have people discover the monsters randomly.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.475 seconds