October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

FIREBALL ISLAND RETURNS

More
04 Apr 2018 13:02 #266950 by bronb
Replied by bronb on topic FIREBALL ISLAND RETURNS
With so many changes it bears little resemblance to the original. But the Fireball Island name gives them marketing hype and the pretence that people are getting a so-called 'grail game'. There will be plenty for sale six months after it's delivered.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2018 14:07 - 04 Apr 2018 14:10 #266954 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic FIREBALL ISLAND RETURNS
All this particularly when you consider that it ain't the deepest play you'll stumble across. A lot of the people signing up for it are the same people that want excruciating decisions in their games. I think you'll have a lot of copies available in the aftermarket right away. Between the initial release and a lot of aftermarket copies, it won't have good opportunity for sales in traditional game stores.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2018 14:10 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
04 Apr 2018 16:55 #266964 by SuperflyPete

Injuries are one of my favorite little mini-expansions in the Treasure Trove. If you get knocked over by a fireball, normally you have to lose a treasure. When injuries are added to the game, you get to choose: You can lose the treasure, or you can keep it and draw a random injury card. These injury cards range from wrenched ankles to a dislocated shoulder to the lowly paper cut. The effects themselves are varied. We’re still testing, but you can imagine: discarding cards, moving spaces, that sort of thing. In fact, some of them have “no effect, but kinda gross”. What I really like is that it adds a simple but often deliciously difficult choice for players to make. Sometimes, you might have a single red treasure you don’t mind giving up. But other times, you might need that red treasure to complete the matched set. Nothing here that slows the game down or burns the brain. But plenty of stuff people can chide you for later when your sprained hammy leaves you stranded on the island as the Hello-Copter takes off.

That “still testing” bit always scares the shit out of me; it shouldn’t since very few have played this so we are literally dumping a half million dollars on some photos, an idea, and the Rob D. street cred.

But yet, it reminds me that it is just an idea, still forming.

More
05 Apr 2018 08:56 #266983 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic FIREBALL ISLAND RETURNS
I think I'm juuuuust old enough that there is no nostalgia factor at all in this. I never played it, have no memories of it, it does nothing for me. I'm kind of thankful for that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Msample, Not Sure

More
05 Apr 2018 10:09 #266993 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic FIREBALL ISLAND RETURNS
I definitely have the nostalgia factor, and I think it's potentially good for when my kids get old enough. But I'm also perfectly happy to wait and see how it turns out.

On another forum I'm on, the site owner is friends with Davieu, playtested (and is featured on a card for) Seafall. He dropped into the forums to plug this kickstarter. I saw so many people saying "I'm definitely backing this because I remember this game, and Davieu is great! Take my money!" And I'm over here like "Wait, isn't this the same guy who thudded out Seafall?" Maybe I'm harsh, but no creator of anything is perfect, and just because they usually make great stuff doesn't mean I'm willing to give them money sight unseen in hopes that their next thing is also great. If it's great, I'll give you money then, but you gotta prove it first.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Msample

More
05 Apr 2018 10:32 - 05 Apr 2018 10:33 #266998 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic FIREBALL ISLAND RETURNS

Chaz wrote: I'll give you money then, but you gotta prove it first.

That is so 2005 thinking. You're going to miss out on thousands of the best games ever made, because they'll only be available via Kickstarter. Even if you can get them afterwards nobody is going to want to play with you because the games will be so old and outdated by then.

You have no choice people. Start backing, or get out of the hobby.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2018 10:33 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Mr. White, Frohike, Gregarius

More
05 Apr 2018 11:11 #267005 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic FIREBALL ISLAND RETURNS
Too late, I'm already effectively out of the hobby!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Frohike

More
05 Apr 2018 11:23 - 05 Apr 2018 11:32 #267007 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic FIREBALL ISLAND RETURNS

Sagrilarus wrote:

That is so 2005 thinking. You're going to miss out on thousands of the best games ever made, because they'll only be available via Kickstarter. Even if you can get them afterwards nobody is going to want to play with you because the games will be so old and outdated by then.

Not only that but I would claim that playing KS exclusives in a LGS is bad form as they owner can't sell the game. Also, KS exclusivity is going to prevent these titles from growing a fanbase or scene around them. You're essentially buying OOP games on arrival. Seems the most people will get out if them is displaying these elusive creatures on their game shelf (buried with all the others).

It's trophy hunting with your wallet.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2018 11:32 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
05 Apr 2018 11:37 #267014 by ChristopherMD
I can't afford to be an Ameritrasher anymore.

More
05 Apr 2018 11:53 - 05 Apr 2018 12:24 #267018 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic FIREBALL ISLAND RETURNS

Mr. White wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:

Not only that but I would claim that playing KS exclusives in a LGS is bad form as they owner can't sell the game. Also, KS exclusivity is going to prevent these titles from growing a fanbase or scene around them. You're essentially buying OOP games on arrival. Seems the most people will get out if them is displaying these elusive creatures on their game shelf (buried with all the others).

It's trophy hunting with your wallet.

I know plenty of people who own the retail edition of games without Kickstarter exclusives. Blood Rage, Cthulhu Wars, Scythe, Kingdom Death: Monster, etc. I've played far more games of Blood Rage without KS exclusives than with.

As to the point of no one playing their Kickstarter games (particularly ones that are limited by exclusives), 7th Continent, a Kickstarter exclusive game, is8 plays short of 10,000 total logged on BGG.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2018 12:24 by charlest.

More
05 Apr 2018 12:25 #267020 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic FIREBALL ISLAND RETURNS
Sorry, I was referring to KS only exclusives like Street Fighter.

More
05 Apr 2018 12:40 - 05 Apr 2018 12:40 #267021 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic FIREBALL ISLAND RETURNS

Mr. White wrote: Sorry, I was referring to KS only exclusives like Street Fighter.

Yes, but my point was that 7th Continent, a game that is entirely Kickstarter exclusive, is being played a ton of people. You could argue that it's an outlier I suppose, but there are very few games that are currently Kickstarter exclusive. I believe Mythic Battles Pantheon is getting a ton of play as well.

So I don't see the argument of something being KS exclusive results in the game being shelved. The vast majority of people aren't looking to build a community around a game in an LGS, they're looking to play a game with some friends.

I'm not defending the model (I'm not a fan of KS exclusives at all), but I don't think that's an accurrate criticism.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2018 12:40 by charlest.

More
08 Apr 2018 07:28 #267106 by Matt Thrower

Legomancer wrote: I think I'm juuuuust old enough that there is no nostalgia factor at all in this. I never played it, have no memories of it, it does nothing for me. I'm kind of thankful for that.

Me neither, but I have to admit I'm very tempted by this. It looks so much fun for playing with the kids. It looks like there's two female adventurers, so that'll do just fine. And I'm heartened by the news that it apparently fits in a small box, which was one of my biggest worries.

I do wish you could pick the expansions individually, though. And $20 shipping to the UK hurts.

More
23 Apr 2018 12:19 #268050 by SuperflyPete

This cemeneted my belief that it’s worth the money for the base set.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar

More
23 Apr 2018 13:33 #268053 by bendgar
Replied by bendgar on topic Fireball Island - In Action
Meh. When I was five I made a deal with a talking goat for some M.A.S.K. toys and I have felt nothing ever since. Also, automatic doors don't work for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Gregarius

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds