October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Are We Old?

More
06 Jan 2018 15:08 #260412 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic Are We Old?

bfkiller wrote: I'm 40
Smells Like Teen Spirit was an older song to kids graduating from high school in '16 than Stairway to Heaven was to me when I graduated. That realization was the first time I ever felt kinda old.

I dunno why, but that really, really, makes me feel old. 44 next month.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, stoic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2018 15:29 #260413 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Are We Old?

Not Sure wrote:

Gary Sax wrote:

DukeofChutney wrote: 30. I don't think the skewed age of these boards is anything to do with AT games, lots of kids play AT, but they don't come here.

I'm telling you guys, Duke is right here. In my experience, younger people *do not* use forums. They experience the internet using other venues. Only older people use forums because they were brought up on the internet at a certain age.

You're right.

I think we should all move to Instagram. I'm looking forward to the stream of selfies with cranberries posing next to his toilet renovation.

Instagram? Damn, you are old. The new rage is using Snapchat. And dick pics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
06 Jan 2018 16:25 #260415 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Are We Old?
I also hate it when the only explanations that come up in a search are video results. Give me something to read and study dammit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Msample, Frohike

More
07 Jan 2018 04:19 #260429 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Are We Old?
I'm 49.

Trying to decide whether or not to keep dying my hair. You know those old guys with the really black hair that just makes them look creepy? I don't want to be that guy. Don't think I'm there yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
07 Jan 2018 09:11 #260431 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Are We Old?
I'm 56. My sciatica is acting up, so yeah, I'm fuckin' old. Beats the alternative I guess.

More
07 Jan 2018 13:13 #260435 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic Are We Old?

Black Barney wrote: I also hate it when the only explanations that come up in a search are video results. Give me something to read and study dammit

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I would rather read a game review than watch a fucking video.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Black Barney, Frohike

More
07 Jan 2018 13:25 #260439 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Are We Old?
The main problem with videos is that they are never concise and almost always are full of shtick. Everyone thinks they’re a star.

For me, im addition, i don’t process information as well through listening as I do through seeing , so if the videos had subtitles it would actually help me which is weird.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Jackwraith, the_jake_1973

More
07 Jan 2018 18:24 - 07 Jan 2018 18:26 #260455 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Replied by Ancient_of_MuMu on topic Are We Old?
The most common thought that occurs to me when my kids watch a video instruction or review:
Last edit: 07 Jan 2018 18:26 by Ancient_of_MuMu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Jackwraith

More
07 Jan 2018 19:16 - 07 Jan 2018 19:17 #260460 by DukeofChutney
Replied by DukeofChutney on topic Are We Old?

Gary Sax wrote:

DukeofChutney wrote: 30. I don't think the skewed age of these boards is anything to do with AT games, lots of kids play AT, but they don't come here.

I'm telling you guys, Duke is right here. In my experience, younger people *do not* use forums. They experience the internet using other venues. Only older people use forums because they were brought up on the internet at a certain age.

Most people I know who play boardgames don't use the geek or anything really. Its something they do with their friends and thats it. A few use Redit r.boardgames, but that they were usually redit users before they started talking about boardgames. A few talk boardgames on videogame forums, or facebook groups, but i'd say that is a minority. Generally forums are for tech nerds. Im a tech nerd, and I occasionally post on CSW.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2018 19:17 by DukeofChutney.

More
07 Jan 2018 20:36 #260468 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Are We Old?
Dying hair is too much for me. I’ll use sunscreen and lotion and beard oil but I’ll be damned if I ever dye my hair. I’ll never understand it, but that’s just me.

More
07 Jan 2018 20:56 #260471 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Are We Old?
I started greying early in weird patches. Not into it. I was only like 28, then. Fuck that.

More
07 Jan 2018 23:27 - 07 Jan 2018 23:48 #260476 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Are We Old?

Jur wrote:

Not Sure wrote: You're right.

I think we should all move to Instagram. I'm looking forward to the stream of selfies with cranberries posing next to his toilet renovation.

YES!

and dickpics

Hair dying: Santa gave me some Grecian Formula, so I tried it out. It looks way too dark despite her choosing medium brown and my following the directions, and I want to shave my head, but my wife won't let me. You have to pay serious money for the textured dye job that doesn't look terrible. Women know this.

Age: Time is measured differently where I'm from. In Human Years I am 51. My name in the other dimension can't be pronounced with human vocal chords.

I got into Dungeons and Dragons, the basic set, somewhere around 1980. We had minis and the advanced books. I had a friend with some Avalon Hill wargames, but we really couldn't figure them out. I remember buying crappy TSR games at the hobby store. We also played some Traveller and had a copy of Azhanti High Lightning. I was either overseas or in school from 1985 to 2002. In 2005 I saw a copy of Lord of the Fries on sale in Oregon. Twelve years later I'm selling most of it. It's like waking up from a dream. Ok, I just bought Downforce and Chariots of Rome (hasn't arrived). My $2.00 thrift store copy of Acquire just went for $100, so that's a nice coda.

I found out I have osteoarthritis in my lower back, so I'm feeling old. Ever since I hit 50 I've been wondering whether I'll accomplish anything before I die.
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Jan 2018 23:48 by Cranberries.

More
08 Jan 2018 14:12 #260526 by Thaadd
Replied by Thaadd on topic Are We Old?
I too am old - 40 (and back! Uba had to resurrect my password, 7 years dormant). New Year's resolution, decided to actively seeking out old friends and reconnect. I am on Facebook with a few of you...

In short recap, been out of game industry now for 5 years, working for The Man, still in cheeseland, still with the same goon I met playing board games 6 years ago. Host a weekly board game thing of 10-15 people in Madison, which has enough people that most styles of games are represented each week. I am almost always the oldest person at games. I am working towards being a probation agent, and work with sex offenders right now.

Re: Forums and new folks...Reddit, with it's app and really large userbase is easy to get into. Person who gets into board games newly, may just need to add the subreddit to their mix. I hate the new BGG design, so pretty much only go for rules argument threads. Mostly I have been going to Something Awful for years. Lots of local Facebook groups exist too for reviews and feedback.

More
08 Jan 2018 14:15 #260527 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Are We Old?
Welcome back! You were certainly missed!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
08 Jan 2018 15:32 #260535 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Are We Old?

Thaadd wrote: I too am old - 40 (and back! Uba had to resurrect my password, 7 years dormant). New Year's resolution, decided to actively seeking out old friends and reconnect. I am on Facebook with a few of you...

In short recap, been out of game industry now for 5 years, working for The Man, still in cheeseland, still with the same goon I met playing board games 6 years ago. Host a weekly board game thing of 10-15 people in Madison, which has enough people that most styles of games are represented each week. I am almost always the oldest person at games. I am working towards being a probation agent, and work with sex offenders right now.

Re: Forums and new folks...Reddit, with it's app and really large userbase is easy to get into. Person who gets into board games newly, may just need to add the subreddit to their mix. I hate the new BGG design, so pretty much only go for rules argument threads. Mostly I have been going to Something Awful for years. Lots of local Facebook groups exist too for reviews and feedback.

'

Nice to see you back Thaad.

For the life of me I don't know how to make Reddit's tabletop subforum work for me. It always seems to be at the "Just played Ticket to Ride" level of conversation. What app are you using and does it let you zoom in on a particular subforum and present it in a concise format?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds