Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

TOPIC: Are We Old?

Are We Old? 06 Jan 2018 13:08 #260412

bfkiller wrote:
I'm 40
Smells Like Teen Spirit was an older song to kids graduating from high school in '16 than Stairway to Heaven was to me when I graduated. That realization was the first time I ever felt kinda old.

I dunno why, but that really, really, makes me feel old. 44 next month.
  • boothwah
  • boothwah's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Posts: 613
  • Thank you received: 671
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CranBerries, stoic

Are We Old? 06 Jan 2018 13:29 #260413

Not Sure wrote:
Gary Sax wrote:
DukeofChutney wrote:
30. I don't think the skewed age of these boards is anything to do with AT games, lots of kids play AT, but they don't come here.

I'm telling you guys, Duke is right here. In my experience, younger people *do not* use forums. They experience the internet using other venues. Only older people use forums because they were brought up on the internet at a certain age.

You're right.

I think we should all move to Instagram. I'm looking forward to the stream of selfies with cranberries posing next to his toilet renovation.

Instagram? Damn, you are old. The new rage is using Snapchat. And dick pics.
  • Colorcrayons
  • Colorcrayons's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Wiz-Warrior
  • Posts: 1686
  • Thank you received: 1536
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jur

Are We Old? 06 Jan 2018 14:25 #260415

I also hate it when the only explanations that come up in a search are video results. Give me something to read and study dammit
  • Black Barney
  • Black Barney's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • 10k Club
  • Posts: 10196
  • Thank you received: 3405
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CranBerries, Msample, Frohike

Are We Old? 07 Jan 2018 02:19 #260429

I'm 49.

Trying to decide whether or not to keep dying my hair. You know those old guys with the really black hair that just makes them look creepy? I don't want to be that guy. Don't think I'm there yet.
  • Hex Sinister
  • Hex Sinister's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • D8
  • Posts: 1554
  • Thank you received: 603
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyTNT

Are We Old? 07 Jan 2018 07:11 #260431

I'm 56. My sciatica is acting up, so yeah, I'm fuckin' old. Beats the alternative I guess.
  • RobertB
  • RobertB's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Posts: 1027
  • Thank you received: 533
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Are We Old? 07 Jan 2018 11:13 #260435

Black Barney wrote:
I also hate it when the only explanations that come up in a search are video results. Give me something to read and study dammit

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I would rather read a game review than watch a fucking video.
  • the_jake_1973
  • the_jake_1973's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Posts: 1399
  • Thank you received: 689
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Black Barney, Frohike

Are We Old? 07 Jan 2018 11:25 #260439

The main problem with videos is that they are never concise and almost always are full of shtick. Everyone thinks they’re a star.

For me, im addition, i don’t process information as well through listening as I do through seeing , so if the videos had subtitles it would actually help me which is weird.
  • Black Barney
  • Black Barney's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • 10k Club
  • Posts: 10196
  • Thank you received: 3405
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Jackwraith, the_jake_1973

Are We Old? 07 Jan 2018 16:24 #260455

The most common thought that occurs to me when my kids watch a video instruction or review:
Last Edit: 07 Jan 2018 16:26 by Ancient_of_MuMu.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southernman, Jackwraith

Are We Old? 07 Jan 2018 17:16 #260460

Gary Sax wrote:
DukeofChutney wrote:
30. I don't think the skewed age of these boards is anything to do with AT games, lots of kids play AT, but they don't come here.

I'm telling you guys, Duke is right here. In my experience, younger people *do not* use forums. They experience the internet using other venues. Only older people use forums because they were brought up on the internet at a certain age.

Most people I know who play boardgames don't use the geek or anything really. Its something they do with their friends and thats it. A few use Redit r.boardgames, but that they were usually redit users before they started talking about boardgames. A few talk boardgames on videogame forums, or facebook groups, but i'd say that is a minority. Generally forums are for tech nerds. Im a tech nerd, and I occasionally post on CSW.
Last Edit: 07 Jan 2018 17:17 by DukeofChutney.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Are We Old? 07 Jan 2018 18:36 #260468

Dying hair is too much for me. I’ll use sunscreen and lotion and beard oil but I’ll be damned if I ever dye my hair. I’ll never understand it, but that’s just me.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • SuperflyTNT's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Harmless Potty-Mouth
  • SMH
  • Posts: 11014
  • Thank you received: 4637
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Are We Old? 07 Jan 2018 18:56 #260471

I started greying early in weird patches. Not into it. I was only like 28, then. Fuck that.
  • Hex Sinister
  • Hex Sinister's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • D8
  • Posts: 1554
  • Thank you received: 603
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Are We Old? 07 Jan 2018 21:27 #260476

Jur wrote:
Not Sure wrote:
You're right.

I think we should all move to Instagram. I'm looking forward to the stream of selfies with cranberries posing next to his toilet renovation.

YES!

and dickpics



Hair dying: Santa gave me some Grecian Formula, so I tried it out. It looks way too dark despite her choosing medium brown and my following the directions, and I want to shave my head, but my wife won't let me. You have to pay serious money for the textured dye job that doesn't look terrible. Women know this.

Age: Time is measured differently where I'm from. In Human Years I am 51. My name in the other dimension can't be pronounced with human vocal chords.

the_men_with_the_thistledown_hair.jpeg


I got into Dungeons and Dragons, the basic set, somewhere around 1980. We had minis and the advanced books. I had a friend with some Avalon Hill wargames, but we really couldn't figure them out. I remember buying crappy TSR games at the hobby store. We also played some Traveller and had a copy of Azhanti High Lightning. I was either overseas or in school from 1985 to 2002. In 2005 I saw a copy of Lord of the Fries on sale in Oregon. Twelve years later I'm selling most of it. It's like waking up from a dream. Ok, I just bought Downforce and Chariots of Rome (hasn't arrived). My $2.00 thrift store copy of Acquire just went for $100, so that's a nice coda.

I found out I have osteoarthritis in my lower back, so I'm feeling old. Ever since I hit 50 I've been wondering whether I'll accomplish anything before I die.
  • CranBerries
  • CranBerries's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Wait, are you sure?
  • Posts: 2598
  • Thank you received: 1547
Last Edit: 07 Jan 2018 21:48 by CranBerries.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Are We Old? 08 Jan 2018 12:12 #260526

I too am old - 40 (and back! Uba had to resurrect my password, 7 years dormant). New Year's resolution, decided to actively seeking out old friends and reconnect. I am on Facebook with a few of you...

In short recap, been out of game industry now for 5 years, working for The Man, still in cheeseland, still with the same goon I met playing board games 6 years ago. Host a weekly board game thing of 10-15 people in Madison, which has enough people that most styles of games are represented each week. I am almost always the oldest person at games. I am working towards being a probation agent, and work with sex offenders right now.

Re: Forums and new folks...Reddit, with it's app and really large userbase is easy to get into. Person who gets into board games newly, may just need to add the subreddit to their mix. I hate the new BGG design, so pretty much only go for rules argument threads. Mostly I have been going to Something Awful for years. Lots of local Facebook groups exist too for reviews and feedback.
  • Thaadd
  • Thaadd's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Goon
  • Posts: 356
  • Thank you received: 40
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jur, Shellhead, Southernman, Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, CranBerries, SebastianBludd, Sagrilarus, Not Sure, san il defanso and this user have 3 others thankyou

Are We Old? 08 Jan 2018 12:15 #260527

Welcome back! You were certainly missed!
  • SuperflyTNT
  • SuperflyTNT's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Harmless Potty-Mouth
  • SMH
  • Posts: 11014
  • Thank you received: 4637
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Are We Old? 08 Jan 2018 13:32 #260535

Thaadd wrote:
I too am old - 40 (and back! Uba had to resurrect my password, 7 years dormant). New Year's resolution, decided to actively seeking out old friends and reconnect. I am on Facebook with a few of you...

In short recap, been out of game industry now for 5 years, working for The Man, still in cheeseland, still with the same goon I met playing board games 6 years ago. Host a weekly board game thing of 10-15 people in Madison, which has enough people that most styles of games are represented each week. I am almost always the oldest person at games. I am working towards being a probation agent, and work with sex offenders right now.

Re: Forums and new folks...Reddit, with it's app and really large userbase is easy to get into. Person who gets into board games newly, may just need to add the subreddit to their mix. I hate the new BGG design, so pretty much only go for rules argument threads. Mostly I have been going to Something Awful for years. Lots of local Facebook groups exist too for reviews and feedback.
'

Nice to see you back Thaad.

For the life of me I don't know how to make Reddit's tabletop subforum work for me. It always seems to be at the "Just played Ticket to Ride" level of conversation. What app are you using and does it let you zoom in on a particular subforum and present it in a concise format?
  • Sagrilarus
  • Sagrilarus's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Posts: 6547
  • Thank you received: 3537
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.347 seconds