October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Are We Old?

More
08 Jan 2018 16:25 #260537 by Thaadd
Replied by Thaadd on topic Are We Old?
As far as I know, I am using the stock Android app, when I log in, I see a blend of the various subscribed subreddits, and there is an icon at the bottom that looks like 4 boxes,. Poke that and it lists your subscription ones, poke the name of your favorite ( /animalsbeingjerks is one of my favorites! ) And it shows you just that feed. Then upper right box let's you sort by 'hot' or most recent.

That said - I myself no longer read the board games one, I used to when I was trying to keep ahead of customer service icebergs. Mostly now I just do Facebook groups. We are lucky and have an amazing FLGS here, he made groups for board games, minis, RPGs, in addition to just my friends group and the Madison Company of Gamers. I do read Reddit for other things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Sagrilarus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2018 16:35 #260539 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Are We Old?

Thaadd wrote: I too am old - 40 (and back! Uba had to resurrect my password, 7 years dormant). New Year's resolution, decided to actively seeking out old friends and reconnect. I am on Facebook with a few of you...

In short recap, been out of game industry now for 5 years, working for The Man, still in cheeseland, still with the same goon I met playing board games 6 years ago. Host a weekly board game thing of 10-15 people in Madison, which has enough people that most styles of games are represented each week. I am almost always the oldest person at games. I am working towards being a probation agent, and work with sex offenders right now.

Re: Forums and new folks...Reddit, with it's app and really large userbase is easy to get into. Person who gets into board games newly, may just need to add the subreddit to their mix. I hate the new BGG design, so pretty much only go for rules argument threads. Mostly I have been going to Something Awful for years. Lots of local Facebook groups exist too for reviews and feedback.

I hate it when whippersnappers of 40 years say 'I'm old' ..... but since I most probably said it myself and you replaced my BSG skill cards for me (no questions asked) many years ago you get an automatic pass !
Welcome back !! (from the gruff kiwi lost in his travels of life)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
09 Jan 2018 00:13 #260565 by Pat II
Replied by Pat II on topic Are We Old?
46 next month. Gray/white hair but im in decent shape and still enjoy blasting music and getting rowdy. The gray hair was cool when i was 30 but now its working against me lol.

More
09 Jan 2018 01:13 - 09 Jan 2018 01:15 #260568 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Are We Old?
Reddit is really easy to use. Been on it for years. Similarly, I have no trouble with watching Youtube for a lot of home repair stuff. Most of those videos are very stripped down and to the point. But, like many of you, I also tend to skip over games on BGG that only have recent video reviews. As Barney says, I'm not interested in anyone's antics because they think they're being entertaining. That's not what I'm here for. I just want to know about the game and maybe even see it played. All of the video game streamers whose clips I watch are of similar bent: Just show me the game. Don't pontificate to me about it.

And, JFC, Thaadd, has it already been five years since you left? That's mildly terrifying.
Last edit: 09 Jan 2018 01:15 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney, Frohike

More
09 Jan 2018 09:13 #260575 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic Are We Old?
Home and car repair videos I can deal with. It's how I was able to work on the washer for her salon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

More
09 Jan 2018 15:44 #260621 by Thaadd
Replied by Thaadd on topic Are We Old?
Longer, actually. I jumped to a game distribution company when I got to Madison. Busted my ass cold calling stores, trying to pitch non hobby stores to carry board games. I was told I did well - hit metrics for calls, contacting my few stores... But left really frustrated. Made less than if I had worked at the local grocery store, due to the commission and account structure. I had less time off than the old hands, so covered their accounts when they were out. Got zero $ for long, detailed calls, when the guy with Coolstuff's account spent most of the day playing iPad games, and made twice what I did. Nope, not bitter.

I prefer my job talking to dozens of sex offenders a day... I am also the person who reviews all convictions for flagged statutes to see who has to register, how long, which one's need to go to Legal for review...

More
09 Jan 2018 17:59 #260627 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Are We Old?
Wait...Thaadd??????????

Quick everybody, bombard her with parts requests!

Next up: The Return of Tom Hancock.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Jan 2018 18:03 #260628 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Are We Old?
the_jake_1973 wrote:

Home and car repair videos I can deal with. It's how I was able to work on the washer for her salon.

Amen to that. I don't tear into the car and appliances enough to internalize what's going on when it breaks without pictures. Videos of "Top 10 hot-dog restaurants in Hilliard, OH," I'd just as soon see text.

And in the 'old' department, I took a tour of a semi-local university (Bowling Green State U) the other day. The ginormous card catalogs that were a staple of the school's library are now hidden away or gone completely. I wonder if the microfilm/microfiche periodicals are gone or digitized as well?

More
09 Jan 2018 21:08 - 09 Jan 2018 21:09 #260636 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Are We Old?
Largely digitized in big central subscription databases. It's actually a big problem because the few players in the digital journal market can extract gigantic sums from libraries.

But it sure is handy to just login to your university library and download PDFs.
Last edit: 09 Jan 2018 21:09 by Gary Sax.

More
09 Jan 2018 21:31 #260637 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Replied by Ancient_of_MuMu on topic Are We Old?
My wife noticed the problem with moving from physical copies to subscriptions to online journals in university libraries a couple of years ago when a paper she had referred to and wanted a second look at suddenly vanished when the university stopped subscribing to that journal and you effectively lost all the copies of the journals you had already 'bought'.

More
09 Jan 2018 23:02 #260640 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Are We Old?
It's potentially a much bigger problem than just periodical subscriptions:

www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/02/...he-digital-dark-ages
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
10 Jan 2018 09:10 #260644 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Are We Old?

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: My wife noticed the problem with moving from physical copies to subscriptions to online journals in university libraries a couple of years ago when a paper she had referred to and wanted a second look at suddenly vanished when the university stopped subscribing to that journal and you effectively lost all the copies of the journals you had already 'bought'.

When things disappear, I go to Wayback Machine, and its almost always there.

More
10 Jan 2018 09:53 #260647 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Are We Old?
Gary Sax wrote:

Largely digitized in big central subscription databases. It's actually a big problem because the few players in the digital journal market can extract gigantic sums from libraries.

But it sure is handy to just login to your university library and download PDFs.

Yeah, that's bringing back fun times for me. Back in the Dawn of Time you had to find the reader with a working printer, then take your smelly copies to the desk and pay a dime per page. I bet outfits like OCLC bend you over pretty good, though.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds