October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Harry Potter Miniatures Game

More
14 Feb 2018 10:52 #263551 by SuperflyPete
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Colorcrayons, engineer Al

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2018 10:55 #263552 by Gary Sax
Thanks for the link.

I don't know that I'll kickstart this, but I'm definitely getting it for my spouse. She's a harry potter super fan and the minis angle is actually kind of attractive for me on this one. Does Knight's Models make passable minis? Their batman stuff looks ok?

More
14 Feb 2018 11:02 #263554 by blatz
Replied by blatz on topic Harry Potter Miniatures Game
I play both their Batman and DC Universe games. The older metal minis are pretty good but the newer resin models are fantastic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Colorcrayons

More
14 Feb 2018 11:17 - 14 Feb 2018 11:19 #263560 by Gary Sax

blatz wrote: I play both their Batman and DC Universe games. The older metal minis are pretty good but the newer resin models are fantastic.

That's great news! That's a big draw for this franchise, it isn't one to my recollection that has any quality mini lines?

Expansions would be big for this one too, there's a legit lot to draw from. It's like a Song of Ice and Fire minis set in its legit huge character lineup except that each figure would actually have unique powers and characteristics. Luna Lovegood is a favorite, my wife and I will have to fight over who gets the real hero of the series, Hermione, etc.
Last edit: 14 Feb 2018 11:19 by Gary Sax.

More
14 Feb 2018 11:30 #263563 by Colorcrayons

SuperflyTNT wrote: www.harrypotterkickstarter.com/

This looks gangster AF

I just want the models to use as Wizards in Wiz-War.

The ultimate graduation test from Hogwarts. Who will survive The Labyrinth?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, Cranberries, san il defanso, birdman37

More
14 Feb 2018 11:57 #263572 by ChristopherMD
Fantastic! This might be the first Minis Skirmish/Adventure game that someone other than me will buy. Wouldn't pick it up myself anyways but I look forward to someday playing one of my HP-loving friends' copy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
14 Feb 2018 13:23 #263584 by Michael Barnes
Want this so badly. They have shown some of the models, one was Voldemort with Nagini and it looked amazing. I am really liking that this is billed as a miniatures ADVENTURE game, not a war game.

HOWEVER...two big Prince-caliber side eyes.

One is 35mm. Ouch. It sounds great- cool ass big models! But if it requires terrain pieces (assuming it will) then you are shut out immediately of a TON of terrain options. You will be at the mercy of Knight Models and third parties to develop this stuff, which will be BIG and EXPENSIVE.

Two is, obviously, Kickstarter. Come the fuck on, a HP game does not need crowd funding and if the company doing it needs crowdfunding to do it, then the license is likely in the wrong hands.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, Msample

More
14 Feb 2018 13:29 #263586 by Michael Barnes
I just want the models to use as Wizards in Wiz-War.

Snape vs. Gilderoy Lockhart deathmatch!
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
14 Feb 2018 13:41 - 14 Feb 2018 14:08 #263587 by Colorcrayons

Michael Barnes wrote: I just want the models to use as Wizards in Wiz-War.

Snape vs. Gilderoy Lockhart deathmatch!

I've actually wanted Potter models for this purpose for a long time.

I think if I were to have them, I'd get people to play more often. It's a small thing to change but people would be all over that.

Me: "Wanna play a really fun wizard battle game?
Them: "Meh."

Me: "Wanna play a really fun Harry Potter wizard battle game?"
Them: "Dibs on Emma Watson!"

[Edit]
I just checked the website to see if I can bypass the stupid KS and just buy the models. Nope. The models have been around for over a year, but we have to wait for the game to buy them.

I hope there is a model only option at some point. I really could care less about a game that sounds like a heavily scenario driven version of DDAS with a different them (no proof of that beyond postulation based on description).[/edit]
Last edit: 14 Feb 2018 14:08 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
14 Feb 2018 15:42 #263602 by Not Sure
For 25 years I've been dealing with some variation of "Wiz-War sounds like a game in a frathouse bathroom".

Worst name ever. I'll have to keep an eye on this, but I'm 100% in agreement with Barnes that this is not what Kickstarter should be for. You're going to print money with this, the KS campaign is just telling you how much to print, and letting you take it from people before delivering, which blows.

More
14 Feb 2018 18:50 #263624 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Harry Potter Miniatures Game
Was writing a reply but realized I'm having this weird issue: I'm not interested in minis game based on an IP that's originally not for minis game. But I don't have anything against building an army for a non-IP game based on an established IP...

So Star Wars, Firefly and Harry Potter minis game won't float my boat. But building a Witcher 3 army for Dragon Rampant will.

More
14 Feb 2018 19:27 #263627 by SebastianBludd

Colorcrayons wrote: I've actually wanted Potter models for this purpose for a long time.

I think if I were to have them, I'd get people to play more often. It's a small thing to change but people would be all over that.

All the pics of the Scooby Doo character conversions for Betrayal at House on the Hill on BGG can attest to that. It doesn't add anything mechanically, but it's so much more evocative when, instead of it being Generic Professorman, Shaggy explodes in a shower of gore as two giant snakes erupt from his body.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Colorcrayons

More
14 Feb 2018 20:13 #263629 by Michael Barnes
I was just thinking about how awesome terrain boards would be for the Forbidden Forest and the Chamber of Secrets. Or Azkaban Prison.

God damn 35mm. God damn Kickstarter.

More
14 Feb 2018 21:04 #263630 by SebastianBludd

Michael Barnes wrote: I was just thinking about how awesome terrain boards would be for the Forbidden Forest and the Chamber of Secrets. Or Azkaban Prison.

The first thing I thought of when someone mentioned a HP conversion of Wiz-War was how the board already bears more than a passing resemblance to the hedge maze from the final stage of the Triwizard Tournament from Goblet of Fire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, Colorcrayons

More
14 Feb 2018 22:11 #263635 by Michael Barnes
Ok, stop talking about it now.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds