October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Batman Kickstarter (w/discussion of FOMO sales method)

More
08 Mar 2018 14:32 #265072 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Batman Kickstarter

hotseatgames wrote: To whomever was wondering about splitting this with me, with me keeping the minis... I am going to pass. I don't like this Kickstarter and don't want to throw money at it. Thanks.

That was me, and I'm feeling the same way now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2018 14:51 #265076 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Batman Kickstarter

Shellhead wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: To whomever was wondering about splitting this with me, with me keeping the minis... I am going to pass. I don't like this Kickstarter and don't want to throw money at it. Thanks.

That was me, and I'm feeling the same way now.

"FOMO is the mind-killer. FOMO is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my FOMO. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the FOMO has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Cranberries, Msample, stormseeker75, Frohike, Colorcrayons, cropcircles, Gregarius

More
08 Mar 2018 15:15 #265078 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Batman Kickstarter
It is by will alone I keep a tight collection
It is by the hype of KS
The shelf acquires need
The thoughts acquire FOMO
FOMO becomes a warning
It is by will alone I keep a tight collection
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, ChristopherMD, Cranberries, Msample, hotseatgames, Frohike, cdennett, cropcircles, Gregarius

More
08 Mar 2018 15:38 #265081 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Batman Kickstarter
NERDS!!!!

Beautiful, beautiful nerds.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure, cropcircles

More
08 Mar 2018 18:20 #265121 by Sevej
It's best of both world really. Induces FOMO, but nothing says they can't have a second KSof an edition with "small" updates!

More
17 Mar 2018 14:16 #265900 by Josh Look
Hey, so IDW is putting out a Batman: The Animated Series game. No details other than that it’s happening, but they’ve put out some really solid games in the last couple years after some initial bumps. Plus, it’s based on the absolute best iteration of the character. Maybe I’ll get that great Batman game after all without having to back Monolith’s fucking horseshit campaign!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, allismom3, ChristopherMD, Colorcrayons, Motorik

More
17 Mar 2018 17:03 #265908 by Colorcrayons
Interesting. That is second only to Adam West version.

Plus the sculpts should be sweet.

More
17 Mar 2018 17:25 - 17 Mar 2018 17:25 #265911 by Michael Barnes
Hmmm........wonder if it is the Kevin Wilson TMNT system........
Last edit: 17 Mar 2018 17:25 by Michael Barnes.

More
17 Mar 2018 19:47 - 17 Mar 2018 19:47 #265917 by Josh Look
I asked a source close to IDW games. Probably shouldn’t say anything, so I won’t, but this Bat-fan’s interest is certainly piqued.
Last edit: 17 Mar 2018 19:47 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3, Colorcrayons

More
18 Mar 2018 14:45 #265934 by SuperflyPete

MattDP wrote: Breaks $2 million in a day. Got the legs to beat Kingdom Death.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/b...tham-city-chronicles

Am I the only person who finds it alarming this is a "Kickstarter exclusive"? That a game based on Conan, which got a very mediocre reception, is pushing consumers toward a blind purchase on the basis of a great licence and nice figures?

Make it rain
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cropcircles

More
18 Mar 2018 15:15 - 18 Mar 2018 15:16 #265937 by Motorik

Josh Look wrote: Hey, so IDW is putting out a Batman: The Animated Series game. No details other than that it’s happening, but they’ve put out some really solid games in the last couple years after some initial bumps. Plus, it’s based on the absolute best iteration of the character.

Absolutely the best iteration, with the best movie (Mask of the Phantasm), with the best opening theme (the intro sequence of Mask of the Phantasm with the giant choir). I'd love to see what IDW does with that license.
Last edit: 18 Mar 2018 15:16 by Motorik.

More
18 Mar 2018 19:28 #265942 by Josh Look

Motorik wrote:

Josh Look wrote: Hey, so IDW is putting out a Batman: The Animated Series game. No details other than that it’s happening, but they’ve put out some really solid games in the last couple years after some initial bumps. Plus, it’s based on the absolute best iteration of the character.

Absolutely the best iteration, with the best movie (Mask of the Phantasm), with the best opening theme (the intro sequence of Mask of the Phantasm with the giant choir). I'd love to see what IDW does with that license.

Have you seen the animated Dark Knight Returns? MotP was the best Batman movie, but I feel DKR is the best Batman movie we’ll see in our lifetimes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
22 Mar 2018 12:58 #266193 by Shellhead
I've been pondering what I would really like to see in a Batman game, and this Kicksucker isn't it.

Batman isn't just some guy in a costume who likes to punch mentally ill criminals. He is famous for being a detective. Batman debuted in Detective Comics #27 and immediately took over the comic. Detective Comics is the longest running comic book in the United States that has been continuously in publication. Batman eventually also got a second monthly book (Batman), but he has long held the nickname "The Darknight Detective."

So I would like to see a Batman game with a strong deduction element. Imagine something like Fury of Dracula, only set in Gotham City. One player is running Batman, and he is trying to capture the villain. The other player runs the villain and some henchmen, and his goal is to successfully complete a series of crimes. The twist is that the villain is initially unknown to the Batman player. The villain player selects the villain during setup, and must select specific crimes from a deck of crime cards. Each crime card will have a title, a small picture, a location, a sentence of flavor text, and several boldface keywords at the bottom. The supervillain card also has some boldface keywords at the bottom, and that villain can only commit crimes that share at least one of his keywords. There can also be some villain tactical and equipment cards that they can play, again with keywords that need to match. So as each crime is committed, Batman can develop a theory as to the identity of the villain and do some prep at the Batcave and/or scout likely locations of upcoming crimes. Or he can randomly patrol in hopes of stumbling across a crime in progress. And the villain could also choose a hideout, as long as the keyword on the hideout is a match.

The keywords mechanic could also help explain a couple of villains that don't normally translate well into games. The Joker could maybe use any keyword exactly once, making his crime sprees more chaotic and difficult to predict. The Riddler might be allow the villain player to secretly write down one additional keyword that the Riddler can use for that game.

Once Batman shows up to stop a crime in progress, the game would then switch to HTH combat, maybe with miniatures on small tactical map tiles. Batman should be able to outclass most villains in HTH combat, but maybe one or more of the villain cards could offer henchmen options for these fight scenes. I also like the idea of Batman's utility belt being a game element, like maybe a standard hand of equipment cards, with the Bat player able to use one card per combat round.

The game could be expanded to multi-player by adding in additional heroes and villains on each side. Even the old Batman tv show often featured villains teaming up, and Batman often has a Robin or other sidekicks around.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, mads b., allismom3, Msample, drewcula, sornars, bronb, BaronDonut

More
22 Mar 2018 15:15 #266197 by bronb
Great description. When are you launching the Kickstarter?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

More
26 Mar 2018 14:43 - 26 Mar 2018 14:44 #266386 by bronb
Last edit: 26 Mar 2018 14:44 by bronb.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds