October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Most played games in the last 10 years.

More
01 Mar 2018 15:48 - 01 Mar 2018 15:56 #264281 by Mr. White
Boggle
Chess
Condotierre
Citadels
Pokemon
Heroscape
Blood Bowl
Battle Line
Love Letter
Ticket to Ride
Zooloretto
Dixit
Settlers of Catan
Shadespire
Monopoly Gamer
Last edit: 01 Mar 2018 15:56 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2018 15:56 #264282 by Space Ghost
I really want to know how to play Boogle -- that sounds like an awesome ghost chase game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
01 Mar 2018 15:57 #264283 by Mr. White
ha!
Corrected.

More
01 Mar 2018 15:58 #264285 by edulis
There are some surprises when I look back at the logged plays, I feel like I've played certain games a lot like saboteur and Manhattan yet they are less than 30. And there are other games like, Earth Reborn that remind me of their shelf toad status.

I like having plays logged as a sort of justification of owning games and as proof that I need to organize a game night- look I have not played a game in 2 weeks. I mostly only record plays these days, not results, but I do keep record of any win I get against my wife as it is a rare occurrence and marking it on BGG is less offensive that drawing I big JON Finally WINS!!! on our shared calendar.

Good point made about long games verses shorter games. That is a reason Pente is so high on my list you can play 10 games in a half hour, there is some balance in that I am more likely to log an epic game than a quick kids game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
01 Mar 2018 16:36 #264290 by Gregarius
Last 10 Years:
Ingenious: Travel Edition 56
Backgammon 54
Railways of the World 53
Codenames 47
Star Realms 43
One Night Ultimate Werewolf 41
Dominion 37
Excape 35
Cockroach Poker 33
Insider 29

Those number reflect a ton of games played with my wife, who had a habit of obsessing over a game for a month or two, then never wanting to play again. For fun, I changed the parameters to the last 5 years to see how it changed:

Codenames 47
Star Realms 43
One Night Ultimate Werewolf 41
Insider 29
Railways of the World 29
Innovation Deluxe 23
Patchwork 23
Hanabi 21
Cockroach Poker 20
Pairs 19

Ingenious, Backgammon, Dominion, and Excape are all gone, and Innovation and Patchwork shot up the ranks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Erik Twice

More
01 Mar 2018 17:00 - 01 Mar 2018 17:01 #264293 by Erik Twice
I have been in the hobby for less than 10 years and I like logginy my plays, so this list should be fairly accurate.

Android: Netrunner 2355
Terraforming Mars 121
Steam 63
Pandemic 27
Cosmic Encounter 25
Chicago Express 22
Gloomhaven 22
Chaos in the Old World 21
Intrigue 17
Automobile 16
Citadels 15
Condottiere 12
InterUrban 12
Eat Poop You Cat 9
Liberté 9
1825 (Split between Unit 2 and Unit 2 &3) 9

Some thoughts on the list:

0) I removed the games I played a computer implementation with, as I don't feel they count as much (Advanced Civ, 1830, Star Realms, Lords of Waterdeep).

1) Most of my list is still dominated by the games I played with my previous game group. I haven't touched Steam, Pandemic, Chaos in the Old World, Automobile, Liberté or Intrigue in a very long time and few games beat them.

2) I'm playing a lot more recently. I got Terraforming Mars back in October and at least 50 of those plays are face to face. All my Cosmic Encounter plays are recent, too and Gloomhaven has only come to dominate my group in the last few months.

3) There are several games on the list I'm not that interested in anymore. Automobile is fun, but always played second fiddle and seems to need an expansion that doesn't exist. Intrigue is amazing, but I'm not sure I want to push for it to hit the table over the alternatives, probably because it has been long since I last played it. Condottiere was never great, I just carried around because it was easy. Pandemic would be fun with my girlfriend, but we prefer to do other stuff when we are together. I would certainly like to play Chaos in the Old World again, but only if I could play it regularly with the same group and given its 4 player count, that's unlikely.

Also, while I'm keeping Chicago Express, I must admit it has lost its luster. I'm thinking of getting another Winsome, probably German Railways.

4) If you don't count plays, but hours, The Republic of Rome and 1825 rise. 5 plays of RoR are like 30 hours of game, far more than Automobile or Chicago Express.
Last edit: 01 Mar 2018 17:01 by Erik Twice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Msample

More
01 Mar 2018 18:08 - 01 Mar 2018 18:12 #264298 by dontbecruel
I’m not sure why I log these, but it is fun to look back at every now and then. Since 2014:
Cosmic Encounter 55
Netrunner (Wizards version) 44
Codenames 32
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation 32
Race for the Galaxy 24
Glory to Rome 22
Catan 20
Linko! 20
Up Front 19
Bohnanza 17
Samurai 17

Erik’s point about the time invested is very true. Something like Linko (Abluxxen) we had a brief flurry of dinner time plays over a couple of weeks and never touched again. Compare that to the Game of Thrones boardgame, which we spent dozens of hours at over five years and I’m surprised to see I’ve only played 14 times.

I suppose like some others here, it’s the games the family like that win out, by and large. And they have good taste so that’s fine. A related point: it’s funny to see how many people (like me) have a filthy Codenames habit.
Last edit: 01 Mar 2018 18:12 by dontbecruel.

More
01 Mar 2018 19:00 #264301 by Michael Barnes
Y’all some Trainspotting muthafukkas...

I would even know...I would hazard a guess that my most played games from the past 10 years would be Cosmic, Acquire, El Grande, Imperial (both varieities), Citadels (oddly), D&DAS, Cthulhu Wars, Warhammer AOS/40k (lots of play over 2 years), Tigris & Euphrates, Modern Art, Ra. BSG (its in that time frame), Chaos in the Old World, Eldritch Horror, X-Wing, Wiz-War, Star Wars Risk...probably Catan should be in there, it’s never gone out of fashion.

Figuring in digital versions, Star Realms, Ascension, Race for the Galaxy, Hearthstone, Lost Cities, Carcassonne...many others I guess.

More
01 Mar 2018 22:49 #264312 by Jarvis
I also track my games just cause I like seeing the stats around them (data need here). My top 10-ish

Dominion - 70
7 Wonders. - 63
Memoir '44 - 62
X-Wing - 54
Pandemic - 52
Battlestar Galactica - 46
Betrayal at House on the Hill - 45
Star Wars: Imperial Assault - 35
Arkham Horror - 33
Descent 1st ed - 32
Last Night on Earth - 32
Agents of SMERSH - 27
Twilight Imperium 3rd ed - 25

More
01 Mar 2018 22:53 #264313 by hotseatgames
I don't track this stuff, but some guesses are:

Spartacus
Cthulhu Wars
City of Lycans - various versions
SEAL Team Flix
Neuroshima Hex!
Cosmic Encounter
Survive!
Epic Spell Wars
Descent 1st edition
Elder Sign

More
02 Mar 2018 09:06 #264343 by indianajens
Terraforming Mars x152
Azul x95
Magic: The Gathering x72
Love Letter x65
Terra Mystica x52
Insider x44
King of Tokyo x38
High Frontier x35
Innovation x33

I consider myself lucky to have been given the opportunity to really immerse myself in a couple of games in the last decade:

When Terra Mystica came out, I played it week after week for the better part of a year. And it was great - a much nicer feeling than just playing new games all the time. The same had happened when High Frontier came out - a couple of buddies were as enthusiastic as I were, and we played it many, many times.

And of course, in late 2016 I first tried Terraforming Mars, and I have been playing that again and again ever since. I used to play it more or less every week at my club, but these days it's down to about once every two weeks. Of course, we usually play two, and occasionally even three games in an evening.

Playing those three games to that degree has been great - I wouldn't swap it for anything.

A new hit has been 2017's Azul. My daughter simply adores it, and asks to play it more or less every day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
02 Mar 2018 09:19 #264345 by Colorcrayons

Michael Barnes wrote: Y’all some Trainspotting muthafukkas...

I was. Back when I thought recording data was relevant for any reason.

It's not. It's actually one of the most regrettable wastes of time that I have ever squandered. And I have had my share of time wastes.

I guess it had to do with obsession. I was obsessive about games, and entering game play data allowed me to obsess over them when I wasn't playing. Super unhealthy.

More
02 Mar 2018 09:47 #264353 by Legomancer
I've tracked my plays since I think 2006. It's not any big deal; I'm in front of a computer unsupervised for 8+ hours a day anyway, and it takes like 90 seconds to log any plays from the previous night. I like seeing what I was playing and how many times. I don't log beyond that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, Gregarius

More
02 Mar 2018 09:53 #264355 by Shellhead
I think that I have only logged two plays ever over at BGG, before feeling like it was a waste of time. In hindsight, I wish that I had stuck with it, because it would help identify the toads that I need to cull from my collection. I probably need to unload about 40 of my games.

More
02 Mar 2018 09:56 #264356 by Sagrilarus
I find that looking at Games Played statistics, particularly for older games, is a great way to figure out what games go the distance. So I figure if I'm using it I can contribute to it.

What's often remarkable is that I'll log a game that I think I haven't played in a year and discover my last play was 2012.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, tin0men

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds