October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's talk about Room 25

More
03 Jun 2018 18:41 #274582 by hotseatgames
Last night I had what was probably the most fun cooperative experience I've had with Room 25. I have unfortunately not gotten to play it much competitively.

One question came up last night, and I looked around the internet and found conflicting answers...

The Trapped Room has a description that says something like "if you aren't out of this room after your next turn, you are eliminated." The use of the word 'turn' could have 2 meanings:
1. Say you entered on your first action. Your second action is, for example, Look. If each action is a turn, then you die.
2. If you consider both actions to collectively be your 'turn', then you could get out with your NEXT set of actions.

I suspect that #1 is correct, since it's much more brutal and in the spirit of this game. Thoughts?

Also - has anyone played the escape room expansion?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2018 19:29 - 03 Jun 2018 19:30 #274585 by Colorcrayons
Here's my understanding of how it works:

Jerkface pushes you into that room. You haven't yet taken a turn this round.
You're programmed moves don't include moving into a new room, allowing egress from the trapped room.
You're vaporized into a thin, red mist at the end of your turn.

Or it could go like this:

Jerkface pushes you into that room. You have already taken a turn this round.
So on your next turn, you can program egress to avoid the state of becoming thin, red mist.

But in your above example, I believe the term "turn" is collective of all actions within a "turn". So I say option #2.

I hope you get enough people to enjoy the confrontational game soon. Cylons...er.. homicidal, and crazy pants 'guards' are the best way to play.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2018 19:30 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, hotseatgames

More
03 Jun 2018 19:56 #274587 by hotseatgames
And that's all it would take to get rid of the ambiguity... the rule book never explicitly states what constitutes a "turn"

More
03 Jun 2018 20:55 #274593 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Let's talk about Room 25
I have played a half dozen solitaire games of Room 25, and four games with 2 to 6 players in co-op mode. I have only won twice in solitaire, and never in a co-op game. I suspect that my problem is that I usually wait until mid-game before moving rows. I am really looking forward to playing traitor mode at some point.

More
04 Jun 2018 00:34 - 04 Jun 2018 00:38 #274608 by Colorcrayons
Ok it's been a few months since I've played, so I went back to check the rules (which I should have done originally before responding) to ensure I'm not full of shit.

I think there was a bit of terminology that was lost in translation. I don't have the original regles en français anymore, so I can't double check this.
Or maybe some are just odd choices of terminology to begin with.

I'm using my phone, so please forgive any copy/paste formatting errors that arise which I am attempting to correct.

GAME CYCLE
Depending on the game mode, the game is composed of either 8 or 10 turns.
Each turn includes 3 different phases:
•  Programming (each player chooses two actions)
•  Action (in turn, the players resolve their first action, then the second)
•  Countdown (advance the turn marker and change the turn order)

1. Programming
Each player chooses two actions that he places in front of him, face down, on his character sheet in the dedicated boxes.

The order of the actions is important, the one placed at the top will be played before the one placed below.

The two remaining actions must be set aside in order to avoid confusion.
Note: Since the choice should be secret, the players choose their
actions at the same time.

A player can also choose to program only one action. In this case, the programmed action is placed between the two programming boxes. During the Action phase he will be able to choose if he plays it during the first action turn or during the second one (see below).

2. Action
The first player reveals his first action (the one placed on the top) and resolves it immediately.
Then, following the turn order, the next player does the same and so on until all the players resolved their
first actions.

The players resolve their second action following the same process.
Every programmed action MUST be executed, even if it works against the player.

If one action cannot be completed, the action is lost (for example if a player programs the Push action and is alone in the room).

3. Countdown
When all actions have been resolved, the TURN ENDS:
Each player takes all of his actions back in hand (the actions used during the turn can be used again during the next turn).

The first player becomes the last player; move his turn marker to the end of the line on the reversible board, thereby advancing the countdown.
His neighbor to the left becomes the new first player.

Announce aloud the number of remaining turns.

Sooooo..... Going back to your question, I can see how you came up with two options to resolve this.

I still feel that my interpretation is reasonable, yet I'm unconvinced about designers intent.

And because of that, I'd recommend messaging François Rouzé or asking an open question on BGG.
Last edit: 04 Jun 2018 00:38 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
04 Jun 2018 08:44 #274625 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Let's talk about Room 25
Would you guys recommend this competitively with four? I've had the Ultimate Edition on my shelf for a couple of months and the perfect time hasn't come up yet, maybe going to try and force it with four players.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds