October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Why Legacy Designs Are Developed By Jerks

More
More
02 Nov 2018 04:56 #285121 by mtagge

drewcula wrote: We understood exactly what it was; Risk Revised with Campaign elements. We were the perfect the market

I'm reminded of this video game review TV show from when I was younger. Their ratings were 1-5. A one was a stinker obviously, a five was for a game that would be enjoyed by everyone. However a three didn't mean the game was bad, if you were a fan of the genre, perhaps were willing to commit to a lifestyle game, etc, it could still be an outstanding game. If the game was a match for you a two could still be a great game, but wouldn't be universally liked.

Perhaps Risk Legacy as an far above average legacy game, with your group, with your life situation was a perfect match. Legacy games might just be the equivalent of MMOs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2018 09:44 - 02 Nov 2018 12:23 #285133 by southernman

mtagge wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: I think drewcula's post is really good. I read this from someone else on this site, so apologies, but it may just be that Risk Legacy and Pandemic Legacy season 1 are like the arete of this style. The reason a lot of the rest of them suck is that those early ones really did capture the best of the genre and are rare.

It's hard to tease this out from "same four friends" and "drank a lot of beer". The medium isn't as important as the commitment. In other words they could have all gone in on Neverwinter, or any other free to play MMO, and had the same experience questing together.

Frankly if you have that group of friends that can commit like that, is committed to having fun, the activity really doesn't matter.

Er - yes it does, no matter how you try mates and beers do not make a shit game (read 'dry euro') fun.

Although I'm guessing there is some truth to the argument that Risk Legacy is the pinnacle. Risk's gameplay straddles the line between beer and pretzels (you fate is a bit constrained by luck) and emotional attachment.

Boardgame snobbery ! Did you make a wrong turn on the way to 'the other site' ?
;-P

We've started a 4-player game of Risk Legacy and all four of us are having fun (although I faltered and did not rip up the first card, but stickers and terrible penmanship covers the board), and isn't that what's it all about ?
It will take 15 plays to finish and that is a lot for a single game for (probably) most of us, while afterwards you will have a bespoke Risk game to play when something short and lite is needed.
And as for the cost, well $40 divided by four comes up as a tenner per person for 15 games - how many of you drink less than $10 on a night out.

This really is a pretty silly discussion - bottom line: a legacy game is a leisure product for the consumer market and will live or die on there being people wanting to part with cash for it, and like movies or music or alcohol or food some people will love it and some will scoff at it.
I personally can't believe that people continue to buy the same euro mechanics just sold in a different box, but that's just my inconsequential opinion.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2018 12:23 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
02 Nov 2018 10:38 - 02 Nov 2018 10:38 #285136 by drewcula
SPOILER ALERT!  DO NOT EXAMINE THIS PHOTO IF YOU DO NOT WANT RISK: LEGACY SPOILERS

Of note:
- I won the damn game. The board is framed, and hanging in my office. It's 100% unprofessional.
- Rob Daviau signed it. He looked at the board for a LONG time. We had a nice conversation and he chose to sign it beside the city that resonated with him the most.
- My frequently mentioned DreadBall league, CORT, is an acronym from our Risk Legacy board. It's also 100% unprofessional.

Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Nov 2018 10:38 by drewcula.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Jexik, mtagge

More
02 Nov 2018 10:41 #285137 by drewcula
Pete! The Clue variant was "Discover the Secrets."

www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/37589/clue-discover-secrets

~ Of all Clue variations, I enjoyed the Harry Potter one the most.

More
02 Nov 2018 13:26 #285152 by Jexik
I want a higher res file on that so I can actually read it. We had our nuke on the same location, lol.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
02 Nov 2018 15:04 #285158 by SuperflyPete

drewcula wrote: Pete! The Clue variant was "Discover the Secrets."

Thanks a million Drew. Just checked it out and it seems like it's basically the same, but with hipster characters and a deck which basically gives you an extra turn, sometimes, and a special "H Bomb" one-time use special ability.

Doesn't seem better in any way. Just seems more complex for complexity's sake. I'm going to check out HP Clue.

Nothing beats Master Detective thus far.

More
02 Nov 2018 15:47 - 02 Nov 2018 15:48 #285162 by Space Ghost

drewcula wrote: Pete! The Clue variant was "Discover the Secrets."

Master Detective is the best Clue by a mile -- if you missed out in your misspent youth, you can find it Barnes and Noble. I love the thing so much, I might buy a new copy -- mine's been played to the verge of collapsing in on itself
Last edit: 02 Nov 2018 15:48 by Space Ghost.

More
02 Nov 2018 22:34 #285180 by drewcula
Master Detective?
Never heard of it.
I just checked it out on BGG.
Sure enough, I recognize the box from 1988. I constantly saw it on the toy shelves, and always passed it by.
My loss I guess.

Just now, the wife walks by and says, "Clue? I LOVE Clue. My best friends and I played it all the time when we were girls."

WTF. I've been sleeping with this woman for ten years and this is the first I'm hearing about this...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds