October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

X-Wing 2.0 Counseling

More
18 Jan 2019 17:58 #290234 by Jexik
X-Wing 2.0 Counseling was created by Jexik
So all of this Marie Kondo talk in the other thread got me wondering...

Do I really need my X-Wing stuff?

The short answer is of course, "No." I've played it maybe twice since moving into our apartment 2.5 years ago. But it remains a favorite on those rare occasions that I do.

But I've not played since the new edition came out. Here are some questions.

1) Do I need to buy a new starter set to play again? New damage deck, significant rules changes, etc... Obviously for home games it doesn't really matter, but if I'm at a meet with semi-randos I assume they'll be playing new rules. And it looks more and more like my next game won't be at home.

2) Is there any use for old upgrade cards? Do they have analogs in the new version?
2a) If I sell stuff, will people want those? It'll make my life easier if I don't have to part out which upgrade cards go to which ships.

3) Anyone here looking to buy some of this stuff? I used to be more a fan of imperial stuff and their highly mobile style, so I'll probably sell my rebel and/or scum stuff to pay for buying the new conversion kits if I do stick it out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2019 12:17 - 23 Jan 2019 08:57 #290428 by lj1983
Replied by lj1983 on topic X-Wing 2.0 Counseling
as always, it depends on your opponents. but saying that, If I went expecting to play 2.0 X-Wing and a guy showed up with a mix of 1/2 stuff, then i'd be alittle annoyed.

Jexik wrote: 1) Do I need to buy a new starter set to play again? New damage deck, significant rules changes, etc... Obviously for home games it doesn't really matter, but if I'm at a meet with semi-randos I assume they'll be playing new rules. And it looks more and more like my next game won't be at home.

3 things you need in the core set: templates, damage Deck, cards(pilots/upgrades)

the templates have a 'middle' line on them, which is needed for several of the moves (barrel roll, tallon roll, decloak etc). otherwise they are the same as the old templates

the damage deck is fairly significantly different.

if you intend to play rebels or imperials, there are upgrade cards and pilots that are available no-where but the core set. right now, there are upgrade cards not found in anywhere else. and upgrade cards we expect to be found in later released individual ship boxes and the core-set that are not found in the conversion kits (afterburners for the fang fighter comes to mind right away).

FFG expects everyone to have purchased a core set. so all their quickbuilds have this in mind. You can get around this, with aftermarket templates and a 2nd hand damage deck. Really a idea for a non-rebel/Imperial player though.

all the tokens are different, but they are pretty close to 1.0 stuff. so I've been using 1.0 shields/focus tokens and such.

2) Is there any use for old upgrade cards? Do they have analogs in the new version?
2a) If I sell stuff, will people want those? It'll make my life easier if I don't have to part out which upgrade cards go to which ships.

no upgrade cards carry over. it is a new game where you can use models from an old game. not all upgrades from 1.0 made it over, and some names made it over with new abilities or abilities with new names.

if you sell, it depends. there's still a large contingent of 1.0 players who will want the old cards. 2.0 players won't. I sold my FO/Resistance ships and sent the guy ALL my 1.0 upgrade cards.

3) Anyone here looking to buy some of this stuff? I used to be more a fan of imperial stuff and their highly mobile style, so I'll probably sell my rebel and/or scum stuff to pay for buying the new conversion kits if I do stick it out.

just remember that FO/Resistance are different factions now, so it may be worth while to part those out separately also.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2019 08:57 by lj1983.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
23 Jan 2019 08:25 #290507 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic X-Wing 2.0 Counseling
Thanks for the thorough response!

So if I plan to play again in public, it seems like 1) The starter set is essential, 2) Upgrade cards might still sell on the secondary market and 3) Because FO and resistance are separate factions, they could be worth selling.

I was looking at the conversion kits at the store, and the only ships I had from the 'new' two factions were T-70s and TIE/FO... maybe one SF tie if I bought that towards the end.

I also see that Slave I is Scum only now - it's the only large ship I have. I had picked up a couple other scum ships in the past to have access to the upgrades like the Starviper for Auto-thrusters, now that's kind of pointless unless I mean to keep the faction.

Does it seem like they're still kind of hoping people will buy into all the factions by releasing essential upgrades to all the factions with specific ships?

More
23 Jan 2019 08:47 - 23 Jan 2019 08:54 #290510 by lj1983
FFG has stated that all non-faction specific upgrades will 'eventually' be available in ships for each faction. that you will no longer have to buy ships out of faction to get those cards.

there's a couple cards in the conversion kits that are cross-faction, but not available in-faction. ex. barrage rockets fit on the k-wing, but only are found in the empire conversion kits. but...conversion kits make everything odd.

Agile Gunner is only in the scum falcon box, but is cross-faction. wave 2 just released, with nothing for the rebels or empire. So we'll have to see.

FFG wants it to be a big-boy miniatures game, like 40k, where you only follow a couple factions. with the CIS and Republic stuff coming out soon, that makes 7 factions...so hopefully they keep them even.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2019 08:54 by lj1983.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jexik

More
23 Jan 2019 10:15 #290524 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic X-Wing 2.0 Counseling
Having too many factions really mucks with the design space and forces these... forces to have to play catch-up.

My favorite ships in the past were the tie interceptor, with push the limit to be able to do both a barrel roll and boost in the same turn. Are the Imps still the faction for me then? Is there a faction choice that most exemplifies that kind of fragile and mobile dynamic?

More
23 Jan 2019 11:15 - 23 Jan 2019 11:20 #290528 by lj1983
with as many ships across 14 waves for the 3 original factions as there are.....they all can do some of everything. but..in general -

Imperials are still really good. They've got basically PTL built in, in that they can do a boost or barrel roll after any action (so they can still boost & barrel roll). If you enjoyed them before, you'll probably still like them. IMO, Soontir is better for the points than he was before. they've done really well with phantoms, with toning down the attack power and smoothing out the cloaking mechanic some.

Empire also has some good heavier ships with the defender/bomber/punisher available.
There's a good chance points across the board for the Imps will go up tomorrow.

Rebels aren't nearly as fast or agile. they tend to be beefier. Even their 'interceptor' the A-wing isn't as flexible, as it can only boost after any action and has no real aces for it as of yet. the leading archetype for these guys has been X-Wings with proton torpedoes and something else sprinkled in. Rebels feel like they have tons of heavy ships without many lighter ships to pair them with.

Scum are a mix of everything. they've got aces with the Starviper and Fang Fighter. The quadjumper is amazing. this is my favorite of these three factions.

I haven't followed the resistance/fo all that much, as I decided to focus on the original 3 factions.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2019 11:20 by lj1983.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds