October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Another Star Wars game from Fantasy Flight

More
08 Feb 2019 17:14 #291906 by Josh Look
Listen: Firefly and Xia are far from the final word in the genre. You may enjoy them, but nobody should be accepting those games or any games as the be-all-end-all of their ilk. There’s always another way to do things and, over time, a better one. I’m not saying this game is it, but everyone’s arguments [read “gut reactions”] against it are, frankly, weak. You’re all better than this.

For all my love for Firefly, it somehow is starting to show its age. The sheer size of it, though I fully stand by expansions completing it, is just as tiring as it is essential. And even at the game’s heart, there are things I used to forgive that I now want to bypass.

Xia, on the other hand...man, I have tried to avoid this because I know it gets some big love, but I was enormously underwhelmed. One of the most disappointing games I’ve played in the last few years by far.

Given the recent stripped down, streamlined approach to design that FFG has embraced I am very interested to see how this game tackles the genre. My Star Wars/Han Solo fandom isn’t playing into that whatsoever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Msample, GorillaGrody

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2019 17:55 - 08 Feb 2019 17:57 #291909 by Frohike
I think it comes down to your tolerance for this blend of "minimalism" with the personally varying levels of engagement elicited by a license like Star Wars. I don't mind abstraction when it's implemented in a way that forces you to inhabit the space behind the abstraction through other means, like the weird fantasy glamor in Gloom of Kilforth. Sometimes those means don't really work for me, and "just like in Star Wars!" is one of them. Sorry if that's "weak" but that's just like, my opinion, man.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2019 17:57 by Frohike.

More
08 Feb 2019 18:10 - 08 Feb 2019 18:11 #291912 by Josh Look

Frohike wrote: I think it comes down to your tolerance for this blend of "minimalism" with the personally varying levels of engagement elicited by a license like Star Wars. I don't mind abstraction when it's implemented in a way that forces you to inhabit the space behind the abstraction through other means, like the weird fantasy glamor in Gloom of Kilforth. Sometimes those means don't really work for me, and "just like in Star Wars!" is one of them. Sorry if that's "weak" but that's just like, my opinion, man.

I hear what you’re saying, but less is more in Star Wars. It should be streamlined and fast paced on the scale the game is set. The minimalism would be just right here.

My post was more of an overall critique of the reaction here, not specific to this game. It’s a shitty way to approach new games.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2019 18:11 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
08 Feb 2019 18:15 #291914 by Michael Barnes
Doc Aphra is in it? Hmmm...slightly more interested...one of the better non-film characters.

More
08 Feb 2019 19:25 #291923 by mtagge
I'm in. Totally impressed with the support they provided Imperial Assault with the app and the kids will definitely enjoy this.

They shouldn't have stuck Ford's face on the Solo though :(

More
08 Feb 2019 19:45 #291924 by Sagrilarus

Jackwraith wrote: Hyperspace shortcuts...?

I was thinking something that joins the ends together. Or a way to piece things together in other ways. Like Starcraft does. I don’t know, just seems to me that the galaxy should be more dimensional. Two at least.

More
08 Feb 2019 20:13 #291926 by Gary Sax
It does look fireflyish so I'll probably wait. But there's always room in my heart to at least try this sort of game.

More
08 Feb 2019 22:03 #291932 by san il defanso
Oh my word, this looks like it's right in my wheelhouse. I might just have to keep an eye on this one. This is much more the kind of Star Wars game I'm interested in, rather than one revolving around combat or tactics. I'm definitely the intended audience for this.

More
08 Feb 2019 23:04 #291937 by Colorcrayons

Josh Look wrote: ...but everyone’s arguments [read “gut reactions”] against it are, frankly, weak. You’re all better than this.

I'd point out something regarding judging other people's gut reaction with your own, but I'm better than that.

Is that a picture of Henry Winkler on one of the cards? I didn't know the Fonze was in star wars.

I think the arc is a great shape. It's perfect to allow the game to travel over sharks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, engineer Al

More
09 Feb 2019 00:15 #291938 by Bernie
As far as the map goes, it looks like a slice of a galaxy to me, the outer rim, no shortcuts or anything, you are just seeing the slice you get to play in. Not an expert in starwars geography but that's how I read it.

More
09 Feb 2019 01:44 #291940 by mtagge

Sagrilarus wrote:

Jackwraith wrote: Hyperspace shortcuts...?

I was thinking something that joins the ends together. Or a way to piece things together in other ways. Like Starcraft does. I don’t know, just seems to me that the galaxy should be more dimensional. Two at least.

I don't know if it was always the case, but hyperspace in Star Wars is a series of mapped out empty routes. Without using the mapped "lanes" a pilot has a high risk of colliding with a planet. Hence the Kessel Run comment as Solo was using a dangerous "unmapped" route.

Although I agree that from first glance it does appear to be pretty much a line with a choice of two planets at each point. Nothing to stop a houserule connecting the two ends if it makes the game more fun.

More
09 Feb 2019 01:59 #291941 by Sevej
$65... totally not worth it. So small a board, so huge character dashboards. No thanks, I prefer huge maps, with simple, small character space.

I thought at first it's going to be something "clever" with that map... but at that price? It's just bunch of piles.

More
09 Feb 2019 06:15 #291944 by Msample
If it can dispense with having to root thru 19 different decks of cards sprawled around the edge of the board it’s already an improvement over FIREFLY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Bernie, Frohike

More
09 Feb 2019 11:24 #291963 by Scott Rogers
As someone who played a whole lot of Wing Commander Privateer, never was able to track down a copy of Xia or has much interest in the Firefly licence, I'm looking forward to this game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds