October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

What do you think of Empire Builder?

More
09 Feb 2018 05:25 #263246 by Erik Twice
So, I have the chance to buy Empire Builder for like 10€ or so. How's the game? I'm thinking of getting it to play solo, mostly (there's aa solo variant at BGG) but I'm not sure if I really want it or it's a "IT'S CHEAP SO WHY NOT" thing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2018 07:13 - 09 Feb 2018 07:56 #263247 by Mr. White
Crayon Rails are hands down one of my favorite type of games. In fact, after minis games, I'd say they are my next favorite genre.

They're definitely on the long side. I think most people prefer to play them with 2. Maybe three max. I don't mind the length though, and I enjoy seeing our rail systems grow over the maps and the events pop up wrecking our plans. I'm not sure what it is, but for some reason these games feel more 'alive' to me. I mean, when I play them I feel more of a connection to the worlds and their inhabitants than I do in most board games. Maybe it's the clarity of the maps? Recognizing the destructive forces of nature? I have no idea.

The games are almost like a calming zen experience to me though. Be forewarned...they are definitely 'old school' with little in the way of modern charm.

Great for catching up with an old friend over, that's for sure.

Between a few good players, the last few turns can be an anxiety filled rush.

Highly, highly recommend.

EDIT: of the ones I've played, I might rank them as follows:

1) Martian Rails - a bit nerdy, but the retro, war torn red planet is a cool setting
2) Iron Dragon - More of a nostalgic pick. The longest of the games, but also the one with the most options (ferries, foremen, underground travel, rainbow bridges, etc)
3) Russian Rails - a slower map to move on, trains feel like garbage, but I like the cold war era setting. Reminds me of the terror of my youth. The Berlin wall falling is an event that greatly impacts the game. Other events, like NATO drills along the borders and such do a fantastic job of evoking the era.
4) Lunar Rails - meteors/asteroids pounding the moon crush rails and change the map.
5) Nippon Rails - All the rail games are great with two, but especially this one as it's a narrow map. Playing with three is downright cutthroat. Naturally, Godzilla makes an appearance.
6) Empire Builder - This is actually a great, well-balanced map, but after so many games of TtR...I just don't wanna look at the US map if there are other options

* Euro Rails - I hear this one is amazing, but I actually haven't played it.

I sorta wish I had a few more of these back in my collection (my crayon rails buddy has most of them), and this thread may be the prompt I need. There's a new edition of Iron Dragon out I should try.
Last edit: 09 Feb 2018 07:56 by Mr. White.

More
09 Feb 2018 10:21 #263258 by RobertB
I'd second what Mr. White says. I like it, but it's like liver and onions - not for everybody. We'd game here at work during lunch, and I brought in Empire Builder one time. That was the only game that didn't get finished.

There's a pretty good PC crayon rails game at papa.bretmulvey.com/post/124023075248/rails-game-for-windows . It'll get you close to the real thing. There was an Iron Dragon PC game, but I think it's long gone.

The AIs for games like that usually suck, so to make it fair, give yourself a number of turns as a win condition.

More
09 Feb 2018 10:54 #263261 by SuperflyPete
If I was still a board game fanatic I’d be tempted to try these games.

More
09 Feb 2018 14:54 #263281 by southernman
I really liked the old crayon rail games (including the first edition of Power Grid) and from memory Empire Builder was fun, I think the shipping race at the end (if I am recalling correctly) could have been a bit better. Tying in with the Mayfair thread it's one of only three Mayfair games I've owned, don't have it any more though.

More
09 Feb 2018 15:24 #263286 by san il defanso
I played Eurorails once with a friend in Kansas City, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I actually flirted with getting one of them at some point. I forget specifically why I didn't, but I would still like to have one.

But if I recall correctly, it'd probably grind against what a lot of people like in games today. My memory of my one session was hazy, but it doesn't hold your hand at all. It's got that old-game quality where the game won't end unless the players are working toward the goal. In other words, there's no internal timer to it. I also have heard the series can get quite long with more than a couple people. They are old-fashioned designs. I don't mean that in a bad way, but it's the kind of thing I know I would have a hard time getting played, because a lot of people wouldn't understand the appeal at all.

More
10 Feb 2018 08:08 #263328 by Mr. White
Wow. Seems the latest editions of Empire Builder and Eurorails are oop.
I'm going to guess the others will start as well. I have a hard time seeing Asmodee seeing a high enough profit in these titles.

More
10 Feb 2018 15:15 #263362 by southernman
One of the reasons I got rid of Empire Builder was because if I was going to have a rail game be played i would rather play others - Age of Steam before I got sick of the brain-burning of it or, my fave train game, Silverton (also by Mayfair). I would advise anyone interested in train games who prefer crayon rails to Age of Steam to get a copy of Silverton before it becomes unavailable, and when you play it use the spreadsheet aid (see BGG) instead of rolling dice for the market.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds