October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

New Edition of Condottiere

More
09 Nov 2018 16:54 #285820 by WadeMonnig
Super cheap, I'm adding it to my wishlist.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2018 16:57 #285821 by SuperflyPete
I’m in if you can play 2p

More
09 Nov 2018 17:06 #285824 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic New Edition of Condottiere
this new version has a new 2p variant that uses two identical decks for 2p (instead of a central shared deck) and you cant reshuffle once you use up your deck, which sounds interesting. this game has been on my too play list for a long time, so i guess nows the time.

More
09 Nov 2018 18:46 #285840 by Erik Twice

Mr. White wrote: I think Game of Thrones, The Witcher, or some non-sense have basically ripped it off as well.

"Gwent" in The Witcher III is indeed a copy of Condottiere. They also made a physical copy of it.

More
09 Nov 2018 19:40 #285845 by mc
Replied by mc on topic New Edition of Condottiere
Do we know if the new 2p variant can be played with an old deck? Or does this edition come with extra cards to make those double decks?

I do wish they'd gone with some less generic artwork but eh.

More
09 Nov 2018 20:13 #285847 by WadeMonnig

mc wrote: Do we know if the new 2p variant can be played with an old deck? Or does this edition come with extra cards to make those double decks?

I do wish they'd gone with some less generic artwork but eh.

Make if this what you will, not sure if it answers the question "features beautiful new illustrations, components for playing the original edition of the game, and rules for two players. Choose your battles wisely

More
09 Nov 2018 20:40 #285848 by mc
Replied by mc on topic New Edition of Condottiere
Looks like this edition has 118 cards compared to FFG's 110, but that 118 is what the original game came with? Might be wrong. In any case, that suggests to me you can use the 2 player rules with older editions.

More
14 Nov 2018 09:26 #286126 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic New Edition of Condottiere

Looking into this more, I downloaded the new Zman Condottiere rules PDF, I think that I'd rather own this new edition of Condottiere than the FFG one which I presently own. It may be worth owning both editions if you're a fan of the game. I'm seriously considering it. I don't know what the print-run is for this edition, but, it's sure to sell out soon as did all the other versions of this classic game. The revisited artwork of the Zman edition offers a different perspective for the characters in the game than does the artwork in the FFG version. In this new version, you're brought closer to the actors in perspective and the face card artwork draws you into the action of mercenary warfare and associated intrigue. The artwork on the backs of the playing cards, common to all of the cards, in the new Zman version is also better too--it exudes a less corporate and sterile trademark feel as that found in the FFG version which attempts to market the game like the iconic UNO. Rather, these new Zman Condotierre card backs capture the sculpted scroll work seen on the famous equestrian statues of the heroic Condottieri of the Renaissance period (found specifically on their armor and horse tack). Zman's Condottiere meeples even exchange the old FFG edition's muted and generic wooden pawns for updated sculpted meeples: a black warhorse with a mercenary captain atop and a white dove representing the peaceful influence of the Church whose Papal States were the largest employer of these dogs of war. Of note, and perhaps the best reason to upgrade or purchase this edition of Condottierre, is the fact that cards include added graphic iconography explaining the power of each card that break the rules whereas in the older FFG edition you had to refer back to the rule book until you memorized each card's power. This new iconography should make teaching Condottierre to new players easier when using the Zman edition. I'm sad to report, however, that, in my opinion, the Zman edition doesn't offer another good two-player variant for Condottiere as I had hoped. Its two-player variant eliminates the tension found in the the area control element of the regular game and doesn't use the map. Instead, it uses a fixed deck and gameplay resembles the old classic card game War but using the Condottiere cards.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Mr. White, Whoshim

More
14 Nov 2018 09:39 - 14 Nov 2018 09:41 #286127 by Mr. White
You make a lot of good points about the new design and I like the way the game looks in your image. I plan on picking up the new edition as well.

The one thing I think I prefer about the FFG version is the cards being color coded. It was very easy to tell which cards where mercenaries (yellow) and could be modified and which cards could not (red). It remains to be seen to me how intuitive the little symbols are on the new cards. At any rate it doesn't take but a handful of plays to know what everything does.

The big question for me is whether or not I sleeve the set. I didn't my FFG copy and it's stained, tattered and worn. I call it the 'Happy Hour' edition. Simply due to the fact that this game seems to keep selling out is what will push me towards sleeving from the beginning.

(I've never looked to Condottiere for 2-player action, so the quality of it's inclusion doesn't move the needle either way for me.)
Last edit: 14 Nov 2018 09:41 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, stoic

More
14 Nov 2018 15:11 #286158 by Vysetron
Replied by Vysetron on topic New Edition of Condottiere
I bought this last week, haven't played yet. Sure is good looking though.

I saw there was some discussion earlier in the thread about rulesets. The Zman manual has a standard and a "classic". The former has all the cards the FFG one has, where the latter dumps most of them and has different priests that immediately end the fight. Is one of these better than the other?

More
14 Nov 2018 15:22 #286161 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic New Edition of Condottiere
The classic is better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

More
14 Nov 2018 15:33 - 14 Nov 2018 15:51 #286162 by Mr. White
I've played the game pretty steadily over the past decade. About 98% of those plays were the FFG edition, with a handful on the old Eurogames version at a Con.

There's a lot of grumbling (mainly at BGG) that the older version is better, and it may be, but the FFG version is good enough to make this game a favorite.

This is to say...you probably can't go wrong with either.
Last edit: 14 Nov 2018 15:51 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: birdman37, Vysetron

More
14 Nov 2018 16:38 #286169 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic New Edition of Condottiere

Vysetron wrote: I bought this last week, haven't played yet. Sure is good looking though.

I saw there was some discussion earlier in the thread about rulesets. The Zman manual has a standard and a "classic". The former has all the cards the FFG one has, where the latter dumps most of them and has different priests that immediately end the fight. Is one of these better than the other?

Nice buy and this Zman edition looks great. As I said, I wish that I had it too and I might buy it.

You can play all of these Condottiere variants just by downloading the rule books for the Zman and the FFG editions. You can also just play with the regular rules with just two players, but, it's better with 3-6. I've never played with more than 5.

images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_...re_rules_english.pdf

images-cdn.zmangames.com/us-east-1/filer...ondottiere_rules.pdf

There's also another interesting two-player variant that I hadn't considered before which is on BGG where you can play Battle Line with the Condottiere components and combat rules. Adding in Battle Line's victory conditions adds back in a strategic area control element for a two-player game without the map. I'd like to try this since I love Battle Line. boardgamegeek.com/thread/1625941/condott...en-totten-mashup-onl
The following user(s) said Thank You: Whoshim, Vysetron

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.360 seconds