October 09, 2023
2421 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2629 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

How do you sell your games?

More
12 Sep 2016 16:13 - 12 Sep 2016 16:13 #234034 by ChristopherMD
I only sold a couple here last time I tried. eBay has godawful fees. BGG I've sold a few, but mainly rare stuff. Has anyone sold through craigslist? What were your experiences? I literally have dozens of games I want to be rid of by the end of the year.
Last edit: 12 Sep 2016 16:13 by ChristopherMD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2016 16:18 #234037 by charlest
BGG mostly

Amazon (for out of print things)
Ebay (for out of print things)

People on Amazon/Ebay pay stupid money for some games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Frohike

More
12 Sep 2016 16:22 #234038 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic How do you sell your games?
There are several Facebook groups dedicated to game sales as well ( for instance a Wargames Marketplace group ) .

I basically unload stuff once a year at WBC to avoid the post office hassle. Esp for cheaper stuff for which postage would be a large % of the sale price.

Craiglist....I'd be leery. At least on BGG/Facebook you have a vague idea of who you're dealing with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
12 Sep 2016 16:54 #234044 by Hex Sinister
I've only use Craigslist because I don't have to deal with packaging, shipping, and all of that noise. Plus, I get paid up front and don't have to bother with drama and can disappear back into the shadows. And you don't have to worry about having any rep. It's easy to just meet in front of the LGS and collect money. The thing is you have to be patient and re-list for months sometimes.

The only games I can't move are Merchants & Marauders (strangely) and TOMB which I'm asking WAY too much for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Frohike

More
12 Sep 2016 18:00 #234047 by Michael Barnes
Sell face to face when possible...folks in your game group.

If that fails, sel to F:ATties. I've moved thousands of dollars through here and I like the feeling of sharing games with this community.
And taking their money. I like to offer lower prices here and the turnabout is less hassle/drama.

BGG is good, but you might be sitting on something for a while. Price $1 less than the lowest price on there- I'm serious. Undercut, undercut, undercut. Too many people do not understand that giving up $2-3 can be the difference between a $50 sale and a $0 sale. Don't wait six months to make $5, reduce prices slowly until it moves.

eBay is a last ditch resort. Expect to get anywhere from $1-$20 for most not-OOP games. eBay is a yard sale and a retail store front at the same time. If you fall in between, you are going to get bottom dollar.

Fuck craigslist. I am not coming out to meet you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Msample, Erik Twice, Gregarius

More
12 Sep 2016 20:16 #234054 by metalface13
i sell my games unsuccessfully :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
12 Sep 2016 20:35 #234057 by Michael Barnes
It has become quite a bit harder to sell "back catalog" titles. It used to be that flipping something like Merchants and Maruders took less than 24 hours if it had a good price on it. But now, you are fighting against the rise of shipping costs ($13 and up) while Amazon and other retailers are shipping for free around $50. So you can't sell a $50 game used at $35 and have it look attractive when someone can buy it new with free shipping for just a couple of dollars more. You've got to go down to $25 or even $20 to move it.

There is also this whole spoilt for choice thing. If you are selling a game like Mage Knight that was hot bananas 4-5 years ago, you are competing with Kickstarter and whatever the week's latest releases are. So those older games sort of lose their viability unless you are lucky enough to find a buyer. It happens, sure...but there again you have to have it at a price that convinces them to pull the trigger.

OOP/rare stuff is both more expensive and easier to sell, ironically. When you put up a copy of Cave Evil, Navajo Wars, some old Ah thing...you might literally be competing with only 4-5 sellers in the world. Or none, and you have the only copy currently visible online in the market. But that flips the other way too. If something is TOO obscure or isn't really sought after (like Lineage II, for example) then the value there isn't as high as you might hope. You can list it at $200, but without a buyer willing to pay you $200 it is a speculative price unless you have provenance- i.e. records of actual sales at or around that price.

One of the least appreciated tools at BGG is the price analyzer on every game. It shows you sale prices over time so you can get a feel for value. You have to do some due diligence though, because some of the tracked prices are not valid data points- like when someone lists a bundle sale for an auction and it shows as being way higher or when someone wins a lowball auction.

The thing is, selling games like Pathfinder ACG...you have do it when it is hot and top of mind. You guys rag me about flipping new stuff, but that's why I do it- because I can get $60 for Mansions of Madness two weeks after general release or I can get $35 for it a month or two later. Unless it goes out of print, which is a different set of variables and valuations.

The only way you are going to move stuff like Mage Knight and Pathfinder is to sort out what your lowest acceptable price is on it and let it go. And remember that a $20 sale beats a $0 sale every time. Don't sit on it for another year waiting for a $30 buyer that may never come.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, jpat, Msample, Columbob, Gregarius

More
12 Sep 2016 20:38 #234059 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic How do you sell your games?
I usually only sell games at BGG.CON's flea market.

More
12 Sep 2016 21:00 - 12 Sep 2016 21:31 #234061 by Mr. White
One thing to think about is possibly overcoming FOMO and opt to move some FFG/GW titles.

As Barnes mentioned in the other thread...we actually don't know how many FoDs, Horned Rats, or Forbidden Stars is out there. FFG Warehouse could still have pallets that haven't made their way into the channel yet.

What we do know is that gamers are in a FOMO frenzy so whether there's a long term of scarcity or not...we 'feel' like there is.

Now may be the time to let some titles go...

As related to other non-GW/FFG titles, there isn't really a push for too much. Yep, your older, 'that's so 2005' title isn't going to get the look that a KS or new release is. And there's plenty of releases....good luck!
Last edit: 12 Sep 2016 21:31 by Mr. White.

More
12 Sep 2016 21:15 #234064 by Michael Barnes
I had email alerts on a few FFG/GW things that went out of stock over the weekend...miraculously, "20+" copies showed up Monday morning. At a slightly higher price.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SebastianBludd

More
12 Sep 2016 21:31 #234065 by metalface13
Yeah, I haven't shipped must stuff lately so it really shocked me how flat rate shipping is now. And yes, Pathfinder: ACG is hard to move these days ...

More
12 Sep 2016 21:35 #234066 by Gary Sax
I just give them away to good homes at this point because of the hassle of sales. And I'm comfortable enough moneywise to do it and people were nice to me in the past.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Mr. White, Columbob

More
12 Sep 2016 22:30 - 12 Sep 2016 22:42 #234069 by Mr. White

Gary Sax wrote: I just give them away to good homes at this point because of the hassle of sales. And I'm comfortable enough moneywise to do it and people were nice to me in the past.

I use to do plenty of that locally. I didn't really want to pay for shipping I just wanted them gone. So, I'd show up to a game night with games to hand out, or when folks came over, I'd do door prizes so to speak. Something like, "Next person to roll double skulls gets this copy of Chaos Marauders!", throughout the evening.
Last edit: 12 Sep 2016 22:42 by Mr. White.

More
12 Sep 2016 22:38 #234070 by san il defanso
Thankfully you can still trade games pretty easily, which is probably the most useful thing to do on BGG these days. But yeah, selling games has become super difficult, especially if the game is a few years old. As exhibited by my futile endeavors to actually SELL Mage Knight. I've gotten trade offers for it, maybe it's finally time to land that copy of Earth Reborn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Frohike

More
12 Sep 2016 22:55 #234072 by Bull Nakano
I have so many I need to sell. I circulated a list with some friends and moved maybe a dozen and gave away maybe twice that. I should post them here but I'd have to come up with prices. I was hoping to get rid of them at origins but they didn't have an auction this year, and my local con got cancelled
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, stoic

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds