October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Which games are you trying to push on the table?

More
30 Jun 2018 06:36 #276623 by Erik Twice
What games are you actively trying to get to the table? And how are your efforts going? Share it here!

Right now I'm trying to get three games to the table, not so much because I haven't played them in a while but because I want to play them with experienced players:

- 1856: Railroading in Upper Canada
- Dune
- Steam: Rails to Riches

I started organizing games of 18XX since I joined my club in January and there are already a couple people I know I can count on to play. These are not really games that are truly grasped on your first ot second plays, I think you need to be on your before it all fits together. The first game is all about larning the rules, the second about learning basic survival tactics and the third about actually trashing each other stock's and using the tools in play.

I think the moderator has been a success. I don't think reaction would have been as positive if the games had taken two hours more to complete. I plan to sneak a game of it each couple weeks or so and see if they stick.

--

I've played Dune a few times, but it will still take some time before it comes together. It needs six regular players and so far I haven't been able to get everyone interested in the same game. However, I already know of six people who want to sign up for my next game, so I think I'm getting there.

--

Steam is actually a favourite of a bunch of people at my club, but they haven't played in a while. This one has the advantage of being short, I can play this one without the work of 18XX or Dune. Again, I hope it becomes a regular title, I really like the expansions to this one.

What about you?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2018 09:12 #276626 by southernman
I thought my answer would be "all of them, too many games, not enough people or time" but then it was so gob-smacking obvious:

Battlestar Galactica

I just cannot find five (or more) people who want to play this game and I refuse to compromise the game (and likely having a bad experience for players) by playing with less.

Two others that really require full player counts so I haven't got out but am not as fanatically entwined with are:
Game of Thrones
Mare Nostrum + expansion

Always the old chestnuts like my copy of TI3 (played someone else's TI4 twice last year), Warrior Knights and Betrayal at House on the Hill pop up but, to be honest, I could play most of them with lower player count if I really wanted to (and that will probably happen for TI3 sometime this year).

And the other one that I probably will never get to the table, so will have to be sold/traded, due to requiring four or five players to commit for a dozen plus plays is Risk Legacy, and Seafall (couldn't resist buying it on sale) is in the same boat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

More
30 Jun 2018 09:18 - 30 Jun 2018 09:19 #276627 by Sagrilarus
I'm looking for second go-rounds on a couple of recently played games, Bolide and Moto Grand Prix. Now that we've played in the last year and have our wits about us on how to make the games work I'd like to go again with more focus on the play than the rules.

Same thing for Netrunner with my oldest boy.
Last edit: 30 Jun 2018 09:19 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
30 Jun 2018 10:38 #276629 by hotseatgames
I've been wanting another go at Duel of Ages II, and also Stronghold. I'm not sure when I'll be able to make that happen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
30 Jun 2018 11:03 #276630 by Gary Sax
<insert wargame of any complexity above introductory here>
The following user(s) said Thank You: ratpfink, Msample, edulis, Frohike, WadeMonnig

More
30 Jun 2018 15:28 - 01 Jul 2018 10:45 #276634 by allismom3
Escape From Colditz I got the new(ish) Osprey edition last month. It's a great looking reprint, with updated rules. I repainted Axis & Allies minis to replace the generic pawns. I love the theme and the history of the game. I want to play with 3 or 4 escape officers vs guards. Had a scheduled date, couple of guys cancelled. Re-scheduled for the following week, I had to cancel. Hopefully after the holiday we can schedule a new date.

Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Jul 2018 10:45 by allismom3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, Frohike, Colorcrayons, Gregarius

More
30 Jun 2018 18:21 #276638 by ChristopherMD

allismom3 wrote: Escape From Colditz I got the new(ish) Osprey edition last month. It's a great looking reprint, with updated rules. I repainted Axis & Allies minis to replace the generic pawns.

Pics?

More
30 Jun 2018 22:10 #276645 by Msample

allismom3 wrote: Escape From Colditz I got the new(ish) Osprey edition last month. It's a great looking reprint, with updated rules. I repainted Axis & Allies minis to replace the generic pawns. I love the theme and the history of the game. I want to play with 3 or 4 escape officers vs guards. Had a scheduled date, couple of guys cancelled. Re-scheduled for the following week, I had to cancel. Hopefully after the holiday we can schedule a new date.

It’s a great light group game, add in cheesy German accents and quotes like “ Cooler !” or “ For you the war is over “.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
02 Jul 2018 08:48 #276706 by charlest
I'm struggling to get Pericles to the table, mostly because it wants exactly four players and my group is now running 5-6 on most game nights. Will need to do some special scheduling for a few games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
02 Jul 2018 12:37 #276721 by Gregarius
I've been itching to play both Mare Nostrum: Empires and Empires of the Void II for a while. The latter has been hindered more by me than my group, though, since I still need to learn the rules well enough to teach.

Also, there are almost always a handful of 2-player games that nag for my attention, since I have fewer opportunities for those.

More
02 Jul 2018 12:57 #276724 by charlest
Empires of the Void II looks pretty good, just got a copy last week.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds