October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Weaponized Nostalgia and Me

More
09 Aug 2018 15:51 #279543 by BaronDonut
So I was ambling through the aisles of my local Target, taking in the vast weirdness of their board game shelf, and congratulating myself on the fact that I am not the kind of person to fall for a little garbage game just because it's based on a computer game I played when I was eight. And then I saw this: www.target.com/p/macgyver-the-escape-room-game/-/A-53263500

Then I had a Proustian flashback to when I was a wee fellow in my childhood home, trying to convince my mother to cut my hair EXACTLY LIKE MACGYVER, the object of my total adoration. And while I didn't walk out of the store with the game, I think there's a good chance that some day, in the not too distant future, I will.

So. Is there hope for us at all? Are we all chained to our favorite childhood products, forever throwing money at things in the hope it will stave off our inevitable deaths? Is my preference for MacGyver the most important part of my personality, or is it my entire personality? WHEN WILL A BOX I BUY MAKE ME A WHOLE PERSON?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2018 16:21 #279547 by barrowdown
I am totally buying this. I care nothing about MacGyver, but I buy all of the escape room games that I can get.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
09 Aug 2018 16:31 #279548 by Motorik
Replied by Motorik on topic Weaponized Nostalgia and Me
Great post!

Last night a buddy and I were joking about buying the rights to the Golan-Globus back catalog and forming Cannon Games. Alan Quatermain & The Lost City of Gold Adventure Card Game, Ninja III: The Domination: The Miniatures Game, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Msample, BaronDonut

More
09 Aug 2018 17:00 #279550 by jay718
Replied by jay718 on topic Weaponized Nostalgia and Me

Motorik wrote: Great post!

Last night a buddy and I were joking about buying the rights to the Golan-Globus back catalog and forming Cannon Games. Alan Quatermain & The Lost City of Gold Adventure Card Game, Ninja III: The Domination: The Miniatures Game, etc.

I watched Revenge of the Ninja for the first time in 30 years a few weeks back. It didn't hold up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
09 Aug 2018 17:01 #279551 by DarthJoJo
I have no feelings whatsoever regarding MacGyver, but I do worry about this targeted nostalgia as a father of two young boys. I don’t want to only be offering them the childhood and toys and entertainment that I had and had wished I had. In thirty years I want them to relate a little to the ‘Only 2020 kids will remember this’ ‘jokes’ on whatever replaces Facebook, but we don’t have cable. They’ll only see what they choose to see, and the algorithms will funnel them to more of the same. What can be theirs and not mine?

There are so many better things to worry about, but it is on my mind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
09 Aug 2018 17:19 #279552 by ChristopherMD
If I'm feeling nostalgic for an old movie, tv show, or video game then I'll just watch or play that since its what I'm nostalgic for. Accept no substitutes!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
09 Aug 2018 17:52 - 09 Aug 2018 17:53 #279554 by Michael Barnes
Jojo’s comments really put me in mind of Ready Player One. I think one of the biggest failings of that film (or book I guess) is the assumption that in he future 20,30,40 years from now...young people will still idolize and idealize Buckaroo Banzai, Battletoads, and Chucky. Really? Buckaroo Banzai has never been a household name! Thinking over it...where the hell are all of the hot characters and IP from like, 2025-2030? It’s almost chilling when you really think about it...people are so content and satiated with the old pop culture that they have stopped making new pop culture. Or it could be that “geek” dads poisoned the well by foisting their endless childhoods on their kids.

Now 90s nostalgia is a thing and it’s all about Rugrats. But what are today’s kids going to remember of NOW outside of social media junk and celebrities?
Last edit: 09 Aug 2018 17:53 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, DarthJoJo

More
09 Aug 2018 18:36 #279556 by GorillaGrody
Zeus help me if they ever release a game about being 12 and trying to transcribe all the lyrics to Blue Oyster Cult’s Cultasaurus Erectus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, BaronDonut

More
09 Aug 2018 18:41 #279557 by Sagrilarus
Amazing World of Gumball gets my vote.

I grew up watching Yosemite Sam who was not from my generation. But I also watched Star Wars and I also watched Battlestar Galactica. So each generation gets a bit of the old and a bit of the new and the culture keeps growing and keeps moving over time. If you want to know what is going to be remembered from right now you need to go ask a 13-year-old.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hadik

More
09 Aug 2018 18:42 #279558 by Sagrilarus

GorillaGrody wrote: Zeus help me if they ever release a game about being 12 and trying to transcribe all the lyrics to Blue Oyster Cult’s Cultasaurus Erectus.

I might be able to do that by heart. 40 years later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody

More
09 Aug 2018 19:08 #279559 by Black Barney
i just watch Next Generation whenever I feel nostalgic. That does the trick.

That MacGyver episode with the automatic defense system taking over an installation with robot sentries and laser cameras was the best one ever. They even had some trap room (I think it's the garbage room) where the floor opens up into an acidic pit. What an episode.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
09 Aug 2018 20:26 #279562 by BaronDonut

Black Barney wrote: That MacGyver episode with the automatic defense system taking over an installation with robot sentries and laser cameras was the best one ever. They even had some trap room (I think it's the garbage room) where the floor opens up into an acidic pit. What an episode.

Dude, that is 100% the best episode.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, SuperflyPete

More
10 Aug 2018 02:59 - 10 Aug 2018 03:01 #279568 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Weaponized Nostalgia and Me
I don't know what it was like for you guys in the states and elsewhere but here (Australia) we had 5 TV stations and and that was IT. Pop culture was totally controlled by whatever was on them. And whatever reruns they happened to have to fill out their schedule. So people my age have very similar pop cultural touchstones. You can pinpoint ages pretty easily with a discussion about TV nostalgia.

Point is, kids now don't have that central reference material. One kid will have Netflix, another will have something else, some will pirate, some will have cable, some won't. They can access stuff in multiple ways but there's heaps so they won't access it all and they can get into super obscure stuff if they want. It's just a different context completely.

My kids don't watch TV. Not through parental censorship either. They are just doing other stuff, on demand, at their behest. Minecraft and games etc. Pokemon cards. They are not alone in this by any means. I have a lot to do with teenagers, their nostalgia has a bit of TV stuff but is mostly centred around Internet related stuff - memes, flash games, etc.

My kids are exposed to my random nostalgia trips but i don't push it on them, and hell, I had access to my parents nostalgia in their music and the reruns of Bonanza or whatever anyway..... and took that in and still have got all my rose-coloured memories of watching Real Ghostbusters or whatever anyway.

So I'm not too worried about my kids not having access to more modern pop culture etc.... There's just so much of it, I don't think the touchstones will be there, anyway, at least not in the same way.

On a broader note, I have come to realise that my gaming is heavily influenced by nostalgia - not for certain IPs, but for the feeling of playing games with other people I enjoyed as a kid.

(Although if there's an MCOG game out I'm first in line).
Last edit: 10 Aug 2018 03:01 by mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, DarthJoJo

More
10 Aug 2018 08:55 #279572 by Legomancer
What ended up helping me out a bunch was seeing the things I loved as a kid such as Star Wars and Doctor Who get redone as things that were clearly not intended for me, making the break much easier. Once it became clear that I could appreciate my memories as what they were and separate them from who I am now, it got easier. As I've said before, I'm not building a Shrine to My Childhood. Those memories are fine where they are, and I don't need to buy stuff to activate them, nor to I need to keep proving fealty to things I liked when I was 12.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Colorcrayons, mc

More
10 Aug 2018 10:52 #279575 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Weaponized Nostalgia and Me

Michael Barnes wrote: Jojo’s comments really put me in mind of Ready Player One. I think one of the biggest failings of that film (or book I guess) is the assumption that in he future 20,30,40 years from now...young people will still idolize and idealize Buckaroo Banzai, Battletoads, and Chucky. Really? Buckaroo Banzai has never been a household name! Thinking over it...where the hell are all of the hot characters and IP from like, 2025-2030? It’s almost chilling when you really think about it...people are so content and satiated with the old pop culture that they have stopped making new pop culture. Or it could be that “geek” dads poisoned the well by foisting their endless childhoods on their kids.

Now 90s nostalgia is a thing and it’s all about Rugrats. But what are today’s kids going to remember of NOW outside of social media junk and celebrities?

In its defense, I believe that was part of the point--that so much of the world had become impoverished or poor, and many had sought escape in the world created by one guy, who was nostalgic for these very things and as such they defined that world. Since so many were living there, they were content to recreate what they saw and stunt their imagination to only what they had been given. It was also clear that the Big Business didn't care about creating new IP, only monetizing as much as possible that which already existed. It's cheaper to monetize what's already there than take creative chances, spend money, and fail.

Maybe I'm giving it too much credit. But that's what I took from it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds