October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

What BOARD GAME(s) did Santa Bring You?

More
27 Dec 2018 17:25 #288759 by RobertB
My wife likes to get entirely too much stuff for Christmas, and tbh I'm not much better.  This year a good bit of it was games.

Star Trek Ascendency - Ferengi & Cardassians - this was on the list my wife asks for from me before Christmas.  Might be gaming with a crowd tomorrow,so they might get played.

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 - she doesn't asks for games often, but a month or so ago she said something like, "I wouldn't mind playing Pandemic Legacy again.  Not the new one - it's awful."  This is on the strength of one play of S2 (not one campaign, one play), but I'm not going to spend valuable wife points on playing S2 again, so I bought us another copy.  At the very least it'll be a reprieve from the ass-kicking I'm getting from her in Terraforming Mars + Colonies.

Sagrada + 5&6 Player expansion - never played it but looks interesting.  Kind of like Azul.

Axis & Allies & Zombies - okay, that's out of left field.  She's not an A&A fan in any way, shape, or form.  I have a copy that I bought maybe 15 years ago, but it never gets played.  But maybe I can get my coworkers to give it a try.

Roll For It - might be fun.  Hope so.

Concept - another family-ish game.  It looks interesting.  The family gamers might like it.

Senshi - BGG ain't impressed, but we'll see.

Zombie Dice - Horde Edition - it's Steve Jackson Games.  Looks like you roll dice and hope.  Again, we'll see.

Superfight - this was picked out by me, for my daughter.  One of the joys of parenthood is seeing yourself in your child.  And my daughter's take on this game, after a few games, was, "This game is broken.  It says, 'Pick a movie character,' and Uncle Steve chooses 'God'.  How is that fair in a game?"  She was genuinely offended - you can't beat omniscient omnipotence, so that card shouldn't even be in there.  That would have been a dealbreaker for me at her age, too.  I told her, "Make the fighter retire undefeated after everyone else gets a stab at him/her/it," but she wasn't buying it.

Villainous - my daughter's boyfriend got me a copy for Christmas.  I was surprised, and am hoping to play it soon.  I played one game of it, back when it first came out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2018 18:33 #288761 by quozl
I got a rock.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, san il defanso, WadeMonnig

More
27 Dec 2018 19:58 #288766 by Gary Sax
My brother found my cool stuff list and got me 1846, a thing that had been randomly hanging out on my list for 4 years.   It's kind of cool to own but playing conditions remain....  unclear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
27 Dec 2018 22:07 #288767 by Michael Barnes
Santa brought Fireball Island, which is lots of fun. Santa brought River a ton of Yugioh stuff, which is baffling. My sister got the kids Watch Ya Mouth, which is horrifying. 

On the video game front, we got Let’s Go Pikachu and all of the Labo sets.

More
27 Dec 2018 22:21 #288768 by san il defanso
For Christmas my wife got me the D&D supplement Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes as well as a bag of polyhedral dice. I've wanted both for a while, so that was cool.

A few days before Christmas we received a package from my parents, and inside were a few games that had been sent to them and then to us. One of those was the Argent 2nd edition Upgrade Kit, which I had hoped would arrive before I moved but missed me by about a month. They also sent my copy of Duhr: The Lesser Houses that arrived back in August, and my copy of Five Tribes, which I thought I would not have space for, and regretted leaving behind. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
27 Dec 2018 22:38 - 27 Dec 2018 22:40 #288769 by mc
I was given Rhino Hero and Blue Lagoon, and I suspect there is something waiting at home (when we go away for christmas we leave all the immediate family stuff tll we get home).
My kids got a slew of Harry Potter related hasbro-esque games, even though I EXPLICITLY PROVIDED A LIST people haha.
Just played Harry Potter Scrabble which wasn't actually too bad. And will allow me to ditch the massive wooden set that we own. It has a lazy susan which is kind of cool but it takes up so much space.

Edit: plus, oh boy, I just realised I can pnp up some nice counters with the scrabble tiles... winning.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2018 22:40 by mc.

More
28 Dec 2018 10:08 - 28 Dec 2018 10:14 #288781 by Katchoo
I got Claim, The Mind and Castles of Burgundy the dice game. My boyfriend got:

Edit: I forgot I got Blue Lagoon and Architects of the West Kingdom from a Secret Santa too.
Last edit: 28 Dec 2018 10:14 by Katchoo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, hotseatgames

More
28 Dec 2018 10:35 #288783 by edulis
The kids received Mice and Mystic (sadly, I think only the 10 year old is interested - 7 and 16 not so much). Also Cheater Moth- 16 and 10 both liked it.

I got a bunch of SW: legions stuff (might have to make the 10 year old play this also) and some X-wing.

More
28 Dec 2018 11:16 #288785 by Gregarius
I play my own Santa when it comes to games, but I was pretty restrained this year.

Keyforge - I succumbed to all the hype and picked up the starter box and a couple of decks. I'm really irritated with what comes in the base box, especially the lack of a decent rulebook (I had to print the good one from online). I wish I had listened to my friends and just bought boosters. Anyway, I haven't had a solid opportunity to explore it yet. I've played one game with the tutorial decks just to learn it. We'll see.

Treasure Island - This really was a present to myself. Wow, is it gorgeous! I think it will be fun with the right crowd (here's hoping my regular group is the "right crowd"), but I'm a little worried they won't share my enthusiasm for it.

Deep Space D-6 - A Kickstarter solo dice game that arrived just in time for Christmas. I've played it a few times already, and it's a solid game. I'm not sure how long it will last before it gets too repetitive, but I'm enjoying it for now.

More
28 Dec 2018 13:44 #288792 by hotseatgames
I received quite a bit of game-related gifts this year.

Millennium Blades - I'm really looking forward to checking this one out. Not sure when that will happen due to its complexity and time requirement.

Monolith Arena - already got 2 plays in on this one, and it is a winner, especially if you are a fan of Neuroshima Hex!

Chronicles of Crime - basically Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective but with an app that serves some interesting purposes such as letting you visually examine a crime scene in 3D. I think it will be fun; we have only done the tutorial so far.

Fallout New California - I'm very happy to have the expansion to the Fallout adventure game that came out last year. It includes a cooperative scenario, expanded versions of all of the original scenarios, more gear, and 5 new characters, including being able to play as Mr. Handy. Looking forward to it.

Mage Knight: Shades of Tezla - I now am only missing Krang in terms of original Mage Knight content. I'm not sure when I'll get to check this out, but it is always lurking there on the shelf, mocking me.

Shadows of Malice - Jim Felli heard me say that this was his only game I didn't already have, and he graciously made some ornate hand gestures, conjuring a copy right in front of me. Thanks, Jim!

Fireball Island - I got this for the kids, but I think my group will enjoy it as well. It's simple to learn, and very fun to hurl marbles at unsuspecting adventurers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Gregarius

More
28 Dec 2018 13:47 #288793 by boothwah
The only new arrival this year was Unspeakable Words, which was a hit at our mixed gaming family gathering. 

More
28 Dec 2018 23:33 #288837 by Hadik
Neon Gods. It isn’t getting a ton of love on BGG last time I looked but it definitely scratches an itch. Note: Technically Santa didn’t bring it to me... my kid picked this up with grama money... a ding and dent box with a little damage and an additional 20% off, so around 36$ out the door of the flgs.

More
29 Dec 2018 10:25 #288844 by Chaz
I convinced my wife to let me order Andean Abyss, since this is the first time it's been reprinted since it released, and I have to continue my habit of getting COIN games when they're (re)printed in hopes that one day I might get to play them. I also threw in a copy of Fireball Island to stash away for when my toddler gets old enough for it. I decided to hold off on the expansions for it because those seem more questionable.

More
30 Dec 2018 10:54 #288878 by Legomancer
I tend to ask the in-laws' for smaller cheaper games they can get off Amazon. I got two Keyforge decks, Pocket Mars, and Fox in the Forest.

I ended up keeping Pocket Mars kind of out of sight because I knew my sister in law would want to play and it would be too rules-heavy for her and it would be miserable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Dec 2018 11:43 #288881 by WadeMonnig

Legomancer wrote: I tend to ask the in-laws' for smaller cheaper games they can get off Amazon. I got two Keyforge decks, Pocket Mars, and Fox in the Forest.

I ended up keeping Pocket Mars kind of out of sight because I knew my sister in law would want to play and it would be too rules-heavy for her and it would be miserable.

I misread "sight" as "spite" which made you a very different person lol

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.321 seconds