October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Super Mario vidja games

More
26 Oct 2015 14:17 #213384 by Black Barney
Hey FATties,

I was just watching a YouTube clip on the best games of last year and in it, the subject of Super Mario Sunshine came up. That was my favourite Mario game ever, personally, even though I think most dislike it. In the video, the game reviewer said that Super Mario Sunshine was clearly the most difficult of all the Mario games ever made.

This surprised me since I think it's the only one I actually finished 100%. I remember finding it pretty tough but not overly so. My buddy Steve would come over just to watch me play, I didn't think it was a big deal, but yeah I kind of remember those 3D levels with the really cool music and the rotating wood blocks you had to navigate.

Did you guys find that Mario to be the toughest? I don't remember it being impossible at all. But it was definately my favourite.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2015 14:36 #213388 by Stonecutter
Replied by Stonecutter on topic Super Mario vidja games
Like most newer Mario games, it's not hard to "beat" but very hard to 100%, and I'd say if that's your criteria it's certainly the hardest of the 3D Marios.

More
26 Oct 2015 14:44 #213389 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Super Mario vidja games

Black Barney wrote: Hey FATties,

I was just watching a YouTube clip on the best games of last year and in it, the subject of Super Mario Sunshine came up. That was my favourite Mario game ever, personally, even though I think most dislike it. In the video, the game reviewer said that Super Mario Sunshine was clearly the most difficult of all the Mario games ever made.

This surprised me since I think it's the only one I actually finished 100%. I remember finding it pretty tough but not overly so. My buddy Steve would come over just to watch me play, I didn't think it was a big deal, but yeah I kind of remember those 3D levels with the really cool music and the rotating wood blocks you had to navigate.

Did you guys find that Mario to be the toughest? I don't remember it being impossible at all. But it was definately my favourite.

It's the most difficult one, for sure. Just play-for-play and 100%, barring the grotesquely unfair SUPER MARIO BROS 2 (i.e., the real one, LOST LEVELS or whatever). The controls are sketchy compared to the GALAXY games, and the whole FLUDD unit thing is weird and not very "Mario," whose abilities are usually intrinsic (barring fireballs).

More
26 Oct 2015 18:19 #213411 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Super Mario vidja games
Were you watching Dunky? Pretty sure he mentioned Sunshine in his best of video last year. Man, is that dude funny.

It's not the toughest. New Super Mario Bros. Wii U might be the toughest, especially with the Luigi expansion. Then again, does that count? What is the "core" Mario series at this point, the 3D ones starting with 64 or the 2D side scrollers? Is there a separation or not? If not, doesn't that make Mario Maker the hardest?

I know that when the subject of "most favorite video game series" comes up, I'm always ready to cite Castlevania, but I feel like that might be for aesthetic alone. When you really get down to it, how could Mario not be the greatest series in video games? Almost every game in the series consistently set new standards, and they are and will continue to be timelessly enjoyable. There really isn't anything else out there that can make that claim, not even the Zelda series. Sunshine doesn't seem to get as much love, but I think that's more the popularity of the Gamecube, not the game itself. Which GC game isn't underrated?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
26 Oct 2015 18:21 #213412 by Black Barney
RE4 gets proper love.

Yeah, it was dunky. I love that guy.

More
26 Oct 2015 19:03 #213415 by san il defanso
Sunshine is probably the toughest of the 3D Marios, and at least part of that is because it is comparatively unpolished. It's been years since I played, but I remember there being a lot of moments that seemed downright unfair, such as those moments where you have to take damage to accomplish something. It also has some janky camera work. It somehow regressed from Super Mario 64, which is already kind of a wonky game in terms of camera. The controls don't feel quite as precise either, and the levels might actually be a bit too big and detailed. Mario 64 worked better with exploration because its design was by necessity pretty simple. Sunshine is much busier visually, and it makes the game a lot harder to play I think.

Mario Galaxy 2 isn't the hardest, but the green star challenge actually pushed that game toward some really fun and creative platforming.

The New Super Mario Bros. games get ridiculously difficult in the later stages. I actually am not really into NSMBU because it feels like work to play. That's a terrible thing to say about a Mario game.

More
26 Oct 2015 21:17 #213425 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Super Mario vidja games

Black Barney wrote: RE4 gets proper love.

Yeah, it was dunky. I love that guy.

I forget that was a GC exclusive initially. I've bought the game 4 times now (once on PS2, once on Wii, once on PC, and on Wii again after I traded it away and realized it really was the best version). Couldn't tell you how many times I've played it all the way through, it's definitely in my top 5.

Dunky is great. His Skyrim and Mario 64 videos absolutely kill me.

"Oh, shit, I forgot! HE'S GOT ME CAUGHT IN HIS ULTIMATE TORNADO SLAM!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
26 Oct 2015 22:01 #213427 by Black Barney
I bought re4 three times, finished it seven or nine times too. Love it. I'll surely buy it again. Ken B still has it shrink wrapped, never having played it. He’s the devil. I think it’s in my top three games of all time

I can't get enough of Dunk. I just discovered him and love all his stuff

More
26 Oct 2015 22:31 #213430 by QPCloudy
Replied by QPCloudy on topic Super Mario vidja games
This is going to sound silly since I already had a Wii U and sold it a couple years ago, but my wife and I have a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe bundle on hold at Gamestop right now. Are you guys still playing any of the WiiU games? I'd like to race some folks when the time comes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds