October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Hilarious TOS troll

More
04 Nov 2015 13:09 - 04 Nov 2015 13:10 #214169 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Hilarious TOS troll
Is that your girl?? She's adorable. I love the adult posture as she's sitting there examining the meeples.

Can't wait for my Emily to be like that . She's been asking, "when I'm older I want to play dat with you "
Last edit: 04 Nov 2015 13:10 by Black Barney.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2015 13:21 #214174 by dfour
Replied by dfour on topic Hilarious TOS troll
Yes she is! A 13 year old in a 3 year old body. I'll bet within the next year she'll be able to play a real game of talisman with me.

You guys will appreciate this. I bought them "Ghost Blaster" board game, but I call it Ghost Busters. The first time we played it I set the mood and played the ghost busters theme song first. Now every time we play that game she insists we can't start until after we've listened to the Ghost Busters theme song.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Green Lantern, Frohike, charlieturtle

More
11 Nov 2015 16:29 #214819 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Hilarious TOS troll
Here's another guy I am hoping is just screwing with people:

If I don't like Hansa Teutonica, what other Top 300 games would I probably not like?

Here's his problem:

Okay, so I broke out Hansa Teutonica the other day and played a two player game with my 6 year old. Overall, I felt the two player game was sort of boring however I thought the mechanics were sort of neat. We then tried a 3 player game adding in my wife and she just couldn't get into it and we quit the game after 5 or 6 turns.

I admit, it still felt rather boring to me and I thought more people would alleviate this. It's like there is too much map (we were using the right map). But I don't think that is all. It's the total dryness of it. It's just boring is how my wife would describe it.

I have a lot of games. I have purchased a great many games based upon their rank and wanting to own a nice collection without having ever played them. For many of these games I have bought expansions as well (I have both expansions for Hansa Teutonica).

That being said, I am now beginning to realize there are probably dozens of games that I now own that I or my family will not like even though they are rated very high and seem to be, overall, very highly thought of. Terra Mystica is another great example for me. I just didn't care for it and I **think** it felt similar to HT, however, maybe not quite as boring. It's been too long for me to recall exactly what I didn't like about it.

So, if you would, please list for me games you know by experience that are in the top 200-300 which I would LIKELY not like, if I don't care for HT or even TM.

Thanks.

So this guy decided to drop cash on over 1200 boardgames, based mostly on the BGG ratings and rankings, and then finally got around to playing some and realized some of them may not be good. (There's also the bit where he's playing with a 6yo but he assures us the kid is quite bright.)

I couldn't resist the urge to be a jerk and took the bait:

Your kid might be bright for a six-year-old but his dad picked a not-so-bright way to make boardgame purchases.

He is rankled at this:

So people who collect things (boardgames included) aren't bright if they haven't used them all?

Edit: Your post has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. What positive discussion could possibly come from your remark? Why come to this thread and make a post like this?

Now, if this idiot is for real, this is the kind of Consumption Uber Alles shit I am always on about. 1200 boardgames you haven't ever played is not a collection. That's a hoard. That's just buying shit for the sake of buying shit. It's his money and he's free to do as he pleases, but don't then act like you're a curator at the MOMA. Just look at your full shelves and have a wank or whatever else it is people do when they look at groaning shelves full of shit they don't otherwise touch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3, Msample, Black Barney, SuperflyPete, Frohike, charlieturtle

More
12 Nov 2015 07:45 #214883 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic Hilarious TOS troll
That kind of luxe just ain't for us.

More
12 Nov 2015 08:20 #214888 by Vistula Lurker
Replied by Vistula Lurker on topic Hilarious TOS troll
That one may be obvious troll but i still love the line

So people who collect things (boardgames included) aren't bright if they haven't used them all?

In my head I see it uttered by this guy in Return of the Living Dead in place of "You mean the movie lied?" line.

More
12 Nov 2015 08:57 #214893 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Hilarious TOS troll
The Collector above did a review bashing Terra Mystica on TOS, telling everyone how much it sucked when you play both sides of a two-player game. He might still be getting roasted - I wasn't up for 8 pages of replies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
12 Nov 2015 10:44 #214905 by MacDirk Diggler
Replied by MacDirk Diggler on topic Hilarious TOS troll
His methodology may have been off, but his conclusion that Terra Mystica sucks was spot on.

I should know because I tried it four player, playing all four sides.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

More
12 Nov 2015 14:58 #214936 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic Hilarious TOS troll
I pitted four precocious six-year-olds against each other in Terra Mystica, and I could tell they weren't having a good time. Sold.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds