October 09, 2023
2285 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2503 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

David Bowie RIP

More
11 Jan 2016 06:59 - 11 Jan 2016 07:00 #219537 by Gary Sax
David Bowie RIP was created by Gary Sax
For some reason this is really bumming me out more than most celebrity deaths. Not just because his music is awesome.

One thing I'm amazed by is how many different things the dude means to people. To me, it's his limitless capacity to give NO fucks about what anyone thinks while making pop art. To others, it's something completely different---I've been seeing an outpouring of support from people who struggled with gender identity issues and how much his example helped them through hard times. More than anything, he was always original. But he is gone, and the world is emptier.

Edit: damn you sub forum choice!
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 07:00 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, 433, The King in Yellow, Frohike, Hadik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2016 07:22 - 11 Jan 2016 10:35 #219538 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic David Bowie RIP
Aladdin Sane portrait is my screensaver

Seriously bad news, so, so influential in music, fashion, sexuality, satire etc

So many fabulous songs and stellar albums. Grew up with this guy.

RIP
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 10:35 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
11 Jan 2016 07:44 #219540 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic David Bowie RIP
I have great memories of blowing most of my disposible income on tracking down Bowie and Velvet Underground imports and EPs with friends in Boston and Cambridge back in 1983-1984 and finally seeing Bowie tour in 1984.

I 'll be playing a lot of Bowie this week but I think I'll be skipping Space Oddity, it's just to sad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
11 Jan 2016 08:03 - 11 Jan 2016 08:10 #219541 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic David Bowie RIP
I have never been so devastated by the death of any public figure. I found out while dropping my son off for school. He loves Bowie. I said "River...David Bowie has died." And he had pretty much the perfect response in that innocent, childlike way-

"Why?"

No other musician has ever touched me, moved me, inspired me, comforted me, and astonished me like David Bowie. I simply would not be who I am without him. His music has been a constant presence in my life.

It's just so shocking, just yesterday I was listening to Black Star, a record he released last week on his 69th birthday and thinking about how it was probably his best since the 1970s. And he just put out two incredible videos. And I was thinking about how I wanted to see his off-Broadway play...called "Lazarus".

I don't want to believe it. It feels impossible to grieve someone you never knew, really. But when it feels like a part of you has died, it's anything but impossible. He'll never know how much he enriched my life and any number of other people out there, big and small...but I hope he passed knowing that he changed so much about this world for the better.

"Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do"
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 08:10 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, scissors, 433, Gary Sax, Grudunza, allismom3, Frohike

More
11 Jan 2016 08:20 #219546 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic David Bowie RIP
Is Seu Jorge okay?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433

More
11 Jan 2016 08:48 #219552 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic David Bowie RIP
devastating.

More
11 Jan 2016 09:12 #219556 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic David Bowie RIP
He must have been working on the album while getting treated for cancer.

More
11 Jan 2016 09:13 #219557 by 433
Replied by 433 on topic David Bowie RIP
My wife wakes up about an hour earlier than I do every day. She woke me up today because she didn't want me to find out from the internet.

Such an outpouring of love from everyone today. People who normally are nothing but snark and jokes have their hearts on the floor.

Last night they loved you, opening doors and pulling some strings, angel
Come get up my baby
In walked luck and you looked in time
Never look back, walk tall, act fine
Come get up my baby

I'll stick with you baby for a thousand years
Nothing's gonna touch you in these golden years
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Frohike

More
11 Jan 2016 09:30 #219560 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic David Bowie RIP
I recognize his talent, and it's always disappointing to hear about someone passing on, but I've only been a casual fan in the past. And then, specifically of the Ziggy Stardust years.

What are the top 3 albums I should dig into today?

More
11 Jan 2016 09:41 #219564 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic David Bowie RIP
Yeah, I can't claim to be more familiar with Bowie than his hits, but his influence is undeniable. I've always been kinda interested in digging into his work but was daunted by the sheer volume and not knowing where to start.

Sorry, Barnes, I gotta leave this here. Commander Chris Hadfield recorded and filmed this cover of Space Oddity while on board the ISS.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Columbob, Frohike

More
11 Jan 2016 09:59 - 11 Jan 2016 09:59 #219571 by 433
Replied by 433 on topic David Bowie RIP
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars and Diamond Dogs both have a lot of his earlier singles that are still big today.

Let's Dance is 80s Bowie at his best. The title track and "China Girl" were everywhere the summer of 1983 (and beyond).

The Trent Reznor remix of I'm Afraid of Americans is ridiculously fantastic.

The soundtrack of The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou has a Brazilian singer named Seu Jorge doing acoustic covers of "Starman", "Rock & Roll Suicide", "Life on Mars?", and "Rebel Rebel" all in Portuguese.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 09:59 by 433. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
11 Jan 2016 10:05 - 11 Jan 2016 10:11 #219572 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic David Bowie RIP
Jeff- outside of the Ziggy Stardust era, anything from the 1970s. No other artist had a better, more impactful or significant decade of work. The pre-Ziggy "Man Who Sold the World" and "Hunky Dory" find him transitioning from a folk/cabaret/singer-songwriter setting of "Space Oddity" to glam rock and really laying the groundwork for Ziggy. Of course all four Ziggy records are masterpieces- "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars", "Aladdin Sane", "Diamond Dogs"- a lot of folks forget about "Pinups" but it's a great covers record. Go with the "Thin White Duke"/"Plastic Soul" era to catch up with his fascinating concept of a white guy doing completely artificial- but artful- R&B. This is "Young Americans" and "Station to Station". The Berlin records were all done with Brian Eno and they are some of his most influential and forward thinking works- "Low", "Heroes" and "Lodger". He hit the eighties with "Scary Monsters", a timeless new wave record that has outlasted many of its contemporaries.

The eighties output is where he sort of lost his mooring, I think that mega-mainstream success sort of took him away from the transgressive artistry and exploration that characterized the 70s work. But the singles from this time are unimpeachable- "Let's Dance", "China Girl", "Modern Love", "Blue Jean", "Absolute Beginners". Great songs, although the albums find Bowie struggling to make popular music.

In the 1990s, "Black Tie White Noise" offers some odd jazz and hip hop influenced tracks- it's one of his least successful records, but it is also one that improves with deeper listening and time. "Outside" found him back in a very rock framework, obviously influenced by its era and more "industrial" rock like Nine Inch Nails. "Earthling" dabbles with jungle breaks and as a result probably sounds more dated than anything else in the catalog but there are some good tracks. "...Hours" closes out the 90s, a somewhat lukewarm selection of songs that find Bowie more comfortable than restlessly innovating.

"Heathen" and "Reality" are both good albums with some great cuts, but they also signaled a period of slowdown in the 2000s. There is an uncharacteristic ten year gap between "Reality" and "The Next Day", released in 2013. It is a tight, wiry collection of songs that hearten back to "Lodger" and it was quite a return to form.

"Blackstar" came out last week on his 69th and last birthday. I'm still processing it, but it is as aggressively avant garde as anything he has ever done. It's dark and full of saxophones, discordant and beautiful.

I can't believe there won't be another.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 10:11 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, Columbob, OldHippy

More
11 Jan 2016 10:19 #219574 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic David Bowie RIP
Bowie was my first concert ever (1983) and I'll never forget it. The man was stellar. He gave me a hunger for live performance that would last me a lifetime. Peace, David.

More
11 Jan 2016 10:40 #219581 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic David Bowie RIP
Also "Let's Dance" is one of my favorite pop songs of all time.

More
11 Jan 2016 10:42 - 11 Jan 2016 10:43 #219582 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic David Bowie RIP
The first time I heard 'Afraid of Americans' I realized I was sad that I never got into David Bowie... or had a friend who really loved him when I was younger. I always wanted to, I've dabbled, but there's something about his style that works better if you have a small nostalgic attachment to what he does. I like and respect Bowie and I've always tried to listen to what he does and take it seriously but it never really worked for me. Still, I recognize his status and totally respect him and maybe I will try again. I go through one of these 'it's not him it's me' attempts to get into Bowie's stuff every few years.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 10:43 by OldHippy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds