October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Cincinnati Board Game Bar Opening

More
09 Feb 2016 10:27 #222058 by SuperflyPete
www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2016...e-bar-coming-to.html

The funny thing is that OTR is the gang warfare capitol of the area. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over-the-Rhine#Crime

There's some big time "urban renewal" going on (gentrification) which is pushing the hustlers out of town into cheaper areas locally (read: Northern Kentucky) so it's safer than it was 10 years ago, but my wife works down there and she wouldn't even go down there at night if she was carrying her piece.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, Black Barney, OldHippy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2016 17:02 #222111 by OldHippy
We have a pretty popular boardgame bar here in Vancouver. I used to live just up the street from it.

www.stormcrowtavern.com/

They have menu's that look like old D&D modules, menu items named after various geeky stuff, a die 20 to choose what to drink if you so desire, piles of games, wait staff that occasionally cos-play, all sorts of fantasy and sci-fi themed crap hanging on the walls... I hate it. It's a nice place, I know the owner and he's a good dude... but I'm such an anti-social dick I still hate the place. Every time I go in or even just walk by I see all these... uh... very easy to judge people - a lot of them (it's always packed and I hate that too). Hipsters I guess. I don't mean to judge, but I do. There is something about the place that feels like pandering to me, I don't like being marketed to at all, I don't like the feeling of being defined like that. It offends me for some reason. When I do want to game in a bar I go to either the Legion or the PCOV (Protugese Club of Vancouver) they're what people might think of as 'old man bars'. Hardly any clientele, quiet, large tables, no one cool in sight.. that's more my speed.

It's unfortunate because a lot of these places are popping up and if I didn't have all these issues maybe I could just go in there, make friends with people, and possibly have a good time. Instead I grumble my way to some old man dive with a good friend and do it that way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, SuperflyPete

More
09 Feb 2016 17:03 #222112 by bendgar
I have been really excited about the renovations that have been taking place in OTR. I admit that I never gave any thought to where the previous occupants were moving to. My wife and I end up there just about every time we have a babysitter on a Saturday night and I have never felt unsafe. I am 6'5" and 200+ lbs though. I can imagine it would be tough to be a lone female on some less populated streets.

Not sure about this bar though. I will have to check it out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Varys

More
09 Feb 2016 17:34 #222122 by ChristopherMD
Spilled drink and vomit stains make any game a Legacy game. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, SuperflyPete

More
09 Feb 2016 17:47 #222124 by SuperflyPete

bendgar wrote: I have been really excited about the renovations that have been taking place in OTR. I admit that I never gave any thought to where the previous occupants were moving to. My wife and I end up there just about every time we have a babysitter on a Saturday night and I have never felt unsafe. I am 6'5" and 200+ lbs though. I can imagine it would be tough to be a lone female on some less populated streets.

Not sure about this bar though. I will have to check it out.

I'm curious why we've never gotten together to game it up....

I prefer Mainstrasse because of the parking and availability of cabs...back in my "yoot" we'd party at Pachinko's and Cock and Bull, but I've been to the Cincy bar scene (particularly Longworth's and the Mt. Adams scene) and it's not bad at all.

More
09 Feb 2016 18:07 #222126 by bendgar
I started out fun enough but have become more reclusive in the last 5 years. There are reasons though none are very good.
I need to get back out there at some point.

More
09 Feb 2016 18:25 #222127 by SuperflyPete
Ha! I'm pretty laid back and non-intimidating, especially since you've got 11 inches height on me! :) Hit me up if you ever want to get together.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar

More
10 Feb 2016 07:50 #222162 by Black Barney
Careful Bendgar, he's all hands
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar

More
10 Feb 2016 08:56 #222168 by bendgar
"Careful Bendgar, he's all hands"

SuperflyTNT wrote: Ha! I'm pretty laid back and non-intimidating, especially since you've got 11 inches height on me! :) Hit me up if you ever want to get together.

I probably wouldn't even feel them. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
10 Feb 2016 09:30 #222170 by Columbob
So Pete, you're in Cincinnati now? Last year you were headed to Phoenix.

More
10 Feb 2016 13:19 #222194 by SuperflyPete
I've been in Cincinnati for the better part of 15 years now, brother. The wife was talking Phoenix and we considered it, but after much deliberation (that's pronounced manupulation) she was convinced that moving to the desert in the state with the most "pre-14 year old girl child abductions" was a bad idea.

More
10 Feb 2016 13:33 #222196 by hotseatgames
If by "in Cincinnati" you mean 25 minutes from it, yeah you're in it.

More
10 Feb 2016 13:53 #222200 by Sagrilarus

hotseatgames wrote: If by "in Cincinnati" you mean 25 minutes from it, yeah you're in it.

That's only six miles of driving where I live. Downright close.

More
10 Feb 2016 14:03 #222203 by SuperflyPete

hotseatgames wrote: If by "in Cincinnati" you mean 25 minutes from it, yeah you're in it.

From the city center, we're 12 miles (driving) distance. I can't help that you drive like old people fuck. ;)

More
10 Feb 2016 14:07 - 10 Feb 2016 14:07 #222205 by Black Barney

SuperflyTNT wrote: Ha! I'm pretty laid back and non-intimidating, especially once you get 11 inches in me! :) Hit me up if you ever want to get together.

Last edit: 10 Feb 2016 14:07 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Columbob

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds