October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

BurgerFi - pandering?

More
24 Feb 2016 19:02 #223209 by MacDirk Diggler
What about Wahlburgers?

Great Grammys story...... Adela's sound was jacked up causing her to sing completely out of tune live mid-Grammies. An hour later she was spotted at the drive thru of In and Out burger.

Anthony Bourdain first stop after getting off plane to do one of his travel shows about LA was he got his rents, car then bee lined it to In N Out burger.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2016 19:14 #223210 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic BurgerFi - pandering?
Fuck chain burgers, find a pub with a good burger that's thick enough to cook to order. Most places cook well done because the patties are so thin their turnover prone staff can't manage the narrow window of time a thin puck like burger can go from med rare to grey charcoal husk in about 10 seconds.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
24 Feb 2016 19:40 #223211 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic BurgerFi - pandering?
Agree with Msample. One of the best burgers in my city is at a small Irish bar.

More
24 Feb 2016 20:08 #223212 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic BurgerFi - pandering?
Per the article it took me less than 2seconds to find on line, BurgerFi is from Burgerfication of the Nation.

So relax. It is stupid but not pandering.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, SuperflyPete

More
24 Feb 2016 21:03 #223214 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic BurgerFi - pandering?
I was telling girls at work the Adele in and out burger story and they said she wasn't out of tune and that I was too negative. Sigh.

And thanks Repo. I honestly spent a couple minutes trying to find an answer and couldn't.

More
24 Feb 2016 21:25 - 24 Feb 2016 21:28 #223215 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic BurgerFi - pandering?
Why am I just now finding out that Black Barney is a Canadian?

IN n Out is so much better than spending $2.00 at McDonald's. I have an In-n_Out within walking distance of my house, and always get the grilled onions except my alterna-doctor said I am basically eating vegetables and chicken until I die.

The big thing in Utah is Fast Casual Mexican.

Within 2.1 km (see that? That's what we call cultural sensitivity) of my house there is a Rubio's that sells fish tacos, a Cafe Rio, a Chipotle Costa Vida, and Mountain West Burrito. In addition to FCM, there is also a Zupa's and a Noodles and Company. Oh, and the Waffle Love food truck opened the world's most twee cafe. And a Chili's and Outback steak house. Two BBQ places. An independent crepes shop. A Smashburger and a Five Guys. There used to be a Fuddrucker's, but In-n-Out killed it, transforming it in to a mattress store--one of five in our neighborhood. We also have a fine dining restaurant down the street, Chef's Table , that sells a $12 blue cheeseburger that is supposed to be good.

Five Guys is so boring. I'd rather cook a hamburger at home. Chipotle and Mountainwest Burrito are slightly overpriced, bland, hipster-Mexican food, but they're ok.

The two best local places are probably Pizza 712 and a sushi place called Shoga , which is around the corner from the FLGS that went out of business.

So basically a splattering of fast food and a couple of ok restaurants. And I'm not including the food court at the mall although they do have an expensive grilled cheese counter that looks promising.

Anyone who lives in a decent city will laugh at this bland wasteland I'm describing.

After typing this out (and I have left out places more than 2-ish km from my house, or that are tedious chains) it would seem that the entire economy of Orem, Utah is composed of restaurants and diamond jewelry stores for the BYU students, so they can start their newlywed lives enslaved by debt.

The google map can't be displayed, ask your administrator for more details
Last edit: 24 Feb 2016 21:28 by Cranberries. Reason: Added a map.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney

More
24 Feb 2016 21:47 - 24 Feb 2016 22:31 #223217 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic BurgerFi - pandering?
I'm in the 'F fast food burgers' camp. they're all garbage. I suppose if I have to eat at one, I'll eat at P. Terry's or Whataburger. See, I'm a regionist (is that a term?) when it comes to food. I don't want to eat at McDonald's in Germany and I don't want to eat In-n-Out here in Texas. Boot that shit back to California. I'll try it when I go there. So, the main fast food place I eat it is called Torchy's Tacos and like I said, if my arm is twisted, then P. Terry's for burgers.

My favorite burger though is at this little joint (Hays City Store) out in the Texas hill country where you sit outside under large trees with a cold beer (I prefer tea these days) while the kids run around and play in the field/washers/whatever. the burgers are thick, flavorful, and the waitstaff friendly in that genuine southern way. Their fish taco's ain't bad either.

And BurgerFi is pandering? Seems like a stretch to attach that to the military. I wouldn't have guessed. I guess we could accuse In-n-Out of pushing a loose, immoral sexual agenda as well? *sigh* ;)

Anyway, before Craniac turns his BYU conversation to co-eds and boobies, I've got a quick question about something he said regarding debt. I don't see it. That is, anecdotally, most Latter Day Saints families I've known have one working spouse a full flight of kids yet seem to get on fine...without large salaries (that I'm aware of). I guess I assume BYU has drastically reduced rates so families can set that sort of arrangement up. That or the church does a great job with financial support. I dunno, but cheers to whatever they do!
Last edit: 24 Feb 2016 22:31 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Black Barney

More
24 Feb 2016 21:54 #223218 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic BurgerFi - pandering?
You northerners seem to buy into the same bullshit that our media does. Not everyone here is handing out free blowjobs to every PFC. Most people like the military fine but not everyone goes around thanking people for their service. I'd argue it's a small minority.

Anyhow, Fi can mean "fidelity" or "Fidelis" (vis a vis "Semper") and I'd think it's the former. Also, we "red meat Americans" also invented PETA, Veggie Burgers, etc. so I'm not sure it's pandering to the 'MURICA crowd.

As to In and Out, they're pretty good. Five Guys is tasty but WAAAAY too fucking greasy. I'm going to have to say "Whopper". Yes, I've had "gourmet" burgers and all that, but honestly, I like the good ol' Whopper best. A CANADIAN food, no less!

A close second is Hilton burgers at the hotel restaurants. For whatever reason, they're always spot on, every city but Vegas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
24 Feb 2016 21:55 #223219 by SuperflyPete
As an aside: if you're not eating at Maria's Taco Shack and Colter's BBQ in Texas, you are fucking up.

More
24 Feb 2016 21:58 - 24 Feb 2016 22:04 #223220 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic BurgerFi - pandering?
I take it you mean Maria's Taco Xpress? Not my first choice, but I'll go.

And I'm a Black's guy for the most part, but a lot of Texas BBQ is great.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2016 22:04 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
24 Feb 2016 22:12 #223224 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic BurgerFi - pandering?
After deciding to go vegan, the last meat I ever ate (21 years ago and change) was an In-N-Out double double. No regrets.

I used to live in Orem. A weird place. It was pretty cool to go to the movies on Sunday and have the whole theater to yourself and a few other heathens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Cranberries

More
24 Feb 2016 23:04 #223227 by SuperflyPete

Mr. White wrote: I take it you mean Maria's Taco Xpress? Not my first choice, but I'll go.

And I'm a Black's guy for the most part, but a lot of Texas BBQ is great.

I love Maria's. I remember when it opened...there, Colter's, and Catfish Parlour were my go-to Austin places.

Fuck do I miss Texas

More
24 Feb 2016 23:42 - 24 Feb 2016 23:51 #223228 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic BurgerFi - pandering?

Mr. White wrote:
Anyway, before Craniac turns his BYU conversation to co-eds and boobies, I've got a quick question about something he said regarding debt. I don't see it. That is, anecdotally, most Latter Day Saints families I've known have one working spouse a full flight of kids yet seem to get on fine...without large salaries (that I'm aware of). I guess I assume BYU has drastically reduced rates so families can set that sort of arrangement up. That or the church does a great job with financial support. I dunno, but cheers to whatever they do!

I was just referring to the wedding ring costs and being hyperbolic. There are a lot of single-income Mormon families, but the family size seems to be shrinking to about four kids, which is still more than the national average. And anecdotally it is getting much harder to survive on a single income and there seem to be fewer single-income Mormon families, which (I believe) tends to reduce family size. I can never find any good, recent research on this, but my neighbor is a retired professor of family science at BYU, so I suppose I could ask him.

I just came back from the Provo library and drove through the fast food desert between my house and BYU. So many chains.

dysjunct wrote: After deciding to go vegan, the last meat I ever ate (21 years ago and change) was an In-N-Out double double. No regrets.

I used to live in Orem. A weird place. It was pretty cool to go to the movies on Sunday and have the whole theater to yourself and a few other heathens.

Orem is a very weird place, as is Provo, and I say that as an active mormon. I have an increased sensitivity to the stress of living in a heavily-religious community after spending two years in Qatar.

Speaking of veganism, I am a fake vegan right now. I can't eat wheat, dairy and really shouldn't have very much meat but cheat. Do you have a favorite vegan cookbook--I'm guessing you just grab handfuls of raw vegetables at this point.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2016 23:51 by Cranberries.

More
25 Feb 2016 08:23 #223240 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic BurgerFi - pandering?
I'm not much of a food guy I guess but I've never had a hamburger that struck me as more than, "yep, that's a hamburger". Every time I've tried one of these "OMG THIS IS THE BURGER SUPREME" I've been, "yep, that was tasty" but nothing I'd sell my soul for another shot at or forego all other burgers for.

More
25 Feb 2016 08:30 #223241 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic BurgerFi - pandering?
THANK you, Pete. That's the answer I was looking for. I do actually think that about southerners continually worshipping the military if only because most businesses have some type of discount which I don't see up north very often at all. I'm more aware of this stereotype I have now and I'll try and curb it.

Craniac. If I lived walking distance to an in and out, I'd be dead by now

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds