October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Let's Talk Hipsters

More
11 Mar 2016 09:29 #224159 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
First few times I went to Costco I hated it, from the fact that the parking's packed in the middle of a weekday (some of it is used as a park-and-ride though), to the sheer apparent madness going on inside, never thought people would grocery shop there. Now my mind's used to it and it's just another store with many advantages. Razor blades are way cheaper for example.

Not everything is worth it though, as you can often get a better deal when stuff goes on sale at the supermarket or pharmacy. I like how they make deals with local suppliers, so everything doesn't come from the States (produce) or China (manufactured goods) for example.
Compared to Walmart, they have something like less than 1% of the inventory.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2016 09:41 #224161 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
Costco hating hipsters. I had this on some other forum with incredulous urbanites saying "Who even does a weekly shop these days, you just get what you want on the way home at the Tesco Express" as if everyone lives that city lifestyle.

Costco is full of good stuff, plenty of organics, and the Kirkland brand stuff is all made by the usual companies (coffee by Starbucks etc). It's not gross consumerism, it's just supplies in bulk. Also, not too busy on a Sunday morning here in ATL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kailes, Columbob

More
11 Mar 2016 09:51 #224163 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
The Costco pizza is pretty decent grub. Better than many pizza places and chains in the west Michigan neck of the woods. We are not blessed with Detroit style pizza over here.

More
11 Mar 2016 09:56 #224164 by Columbob

JEM wrote: Costco is full of good stuff, plenty of organics, and the Kirkland brand stuff is all made by the usual companies (coffee by Starbucks etc). It's not gross consumerism, it's just supplies in bulk. Also, not too busy on a Sunday morning here in ATL.

Oh yeah, they have lots of fair trade options for coffee as well. Dry bulk supplies, if you have the storage capacity for them, are great.

But I won't buy that huge jar of Argentinian honey (even if it says "Canada #1" on it, that's just the quality I think), I'd rather support local businesses for that, plus it'll probably precipitate before we get through it.

More
11 Mar 2016 09:57 - 11 Mar 2016 10:22 #224165 by MacDirk Diggler
Replied by MacDirk Diggler on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
Just curious. Do you hold Walmart/SAMs Cub in the same high regard you do Costco?

@Jake... I was shocked to learn Costco sells more pizza in the US than any Pizza Hut, Dominos, Little Caesarsor other brand of chain Pizza.
Last edit: 11 Mar 2016 10:22 by MacDirk Diggler.

More
11 Mar 2016 09:59 - 11 Mar 2016 09:59 #224166 by JEM
We get most meat at the local (local local) butchers, fresh stuff at the big Dekalb Farmers Market (which is not local at all, is really just big, and cheap for organic*), and Costco for freezer/dried stuff. We do not have a large house at all but we find room for it somewhere.

*we were subscribed to a local farms CSA but they were not reliable to be honest.
Last edit: 11 Mar 2016 09:59 by JEM.

More
11 Mar 2016 10:17 #224167 by Columbob
The only times we shop at WM is when we need a kid's plastic birthday gift or something pretty specific that you'd have difficulty finding elsewhere. I'd never set foot in a WM until a couple of years ago actually, these types of stores aren't really the kind of place we usually go to, plus they have some pretty despicable practices (for instance, they closed the store in Jonquière because the employees were trying to form a union, and it's been proven that smaller area stores lose business to WM - well, that's capitalism for you).

We've been doing weekly business with a local organics farm for a decade, and most of our red meat comes blast-frozen 1-2 a year from a "local" (2 hours away) slaughterhouse. We're lucky to have two great bakeries within 5 minutes car ride.

More
11 Mar 2016 10:20 - 11 Mar 2016 10:22 #224168 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
In Austin bull-shit hipster like Wholefoods, evil-ass corporation with it's overpriced food and underpaid employees. You know what, Costco pays it's workers a living wage, something not even Walmart/SAMS does. Costco rocks.
Last edit: 11 Mar 2016 10:22 by Chapel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, SuperflyPete, the_jake_1973, JEM

More
11 Mar 2016 10:21 - 11 Mar 2016 10:22 #224169 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
Generally, there is a big quality difference between WM and Sams Club -- at least here. The fresh fruit at Sams is both higher in quality and priced better than any of the other grocery stores in town (but, I live in a college town, not a major city). If we had a Costco, I would go there instead, probably (where else can you buy a coffin so cheap?).

Staples are also much cheaper -- like laundry detergent, dish detergent, toilet papers, napkins, paper towels, kleenex, etc.
Last edit: 11 Mar 2016 10:22 by Space Ghost.

More
11 Mar 2016 10:31 #224170 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Let's Talk Hipsters

Alastair MacDirk wrote: Just curious. Do you hold Walmart/SAMs Cub in the same high regard you do Costco?

@Jake... I was shocked to learn Costco sells more pizza in the US than any Pizza Hut, Dominos, Little Caesarsor other brand of chain Pizza.

Costco is also the largest seller of wine in the US.

More
11 Mar 2016 10:38 #224172 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
I have only shopped in one of those Costco-type stores once in my life. It was early in my career, while I still worked in a CPA firm, and they sent me on an office supply run while the office manager was out sick.

Images seared into my brain:

-vast parking lot, full of vehicles on a weekday morning
-vast store, with oversized packages of everything
-long lines at every register, even though there were many registers
-every other cartload seemed to include at least 50 rolls of toilet paper

It left me with the impression that suburbanites eat a lot more than regular human beings and then spend a lot of time shitting out that excess.

More
11 Mar 2016 10:41 #224173 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
i went once just for toilet paper and there's no express lane, so a trip for toilet paper took me forever in line, it was brutal. After that I only went for gasoline, and then I stopped going all together. I don't miss it. I could never get out of there for less than 400 bucks.

More
11 Mar 2016 10:43 #224174 by MacDirk Diggler
Replied by MacDirk Diggler on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
For the record. I am not saying I am above Costco or anything like that. My wife and I are involved in a family business. She goes there to get office supplies and other business related items, as well as lots of wine we drink at home. I go maybe once a year... Got body glove seat covers for my truck last time.

I just wish I had said they don't built Walmart downtown instead of using Costco in my op. Now the thread has devolved into a defense of Costxo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
11 Mar 2016 10:44 #224175 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
We get staples from Sam's Club. I'm lucky enough to have the space to store 36 rolls of toilet paper. I'd go to Costco, but it's a half-hour drive away.

I've read about where the Wal-Mart will draw specialty shops to the strip mall that it usually lives in. It could be WallyWorld-Approved Corporate Bullshit, but I do see lots of specialty shops around the local Wal-Marts. And I'm writing an apology for Wal-Mart - I'm going to go throw up now.

And to sort of stay on topic: Artisinal Pencil Sharpening

More
11 Mar 2016 11:26 #224179 by JEM

Alastair MacDirk wrote: Now the thread has devolved into a defense of Costxo.

Well, that's because these effete urbanite hipsters came into the thread to sneer at people who don't buy their toilet paper by the sheet. Seriously. Toilet paper, the barometer of fucking consumerism. Posted unironically no doubt from a fucking iPhone 6S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, SuperflyPete

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds